Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Marcus Peters and the Unsubstantiated Rumor

Man this thread's title sounds like a Harry Potter spin-off

Don't see it. I think they're signing for depth, and it sounds like he's a headcase, so hopefully the Ravens want no part of him.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

If we get a strong second half of 2018 from Jimmy, we should be happy. But we need a quality outside CB soon, irregardless. I would not be surprised if Ozzie takes Josh Jackson in the first. Shoeless Josh Jackson. The draft is said to be deep in underclassmen DBs - that is where I hope we harvest in a later round, which I expect to happen. Ozzie and Eric have a hot hand at that.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    A player that still wants to be around when theres ice on the football? I'll bet you it happens more often than you think, just teams stay quiet about it.

Unless you're content with him being out for the year when we need him most.
    They must be real quiet because every $10+ million a year player I see plays when they are healthy or they end up getting cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Man this thread's title sounds like a Harry Potter spin-off
    Haha. It's a spinoff to the movie

Breshad Perriman and the Buttery Fingers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Jimmy might also realize that his body just can't handle it anymore and decide to retire sooner rather than later. JJ Watt has talked about that exact thing now that he's had 3 major injuries in the past 3 seasons. Few players make it 10 years in the NFL and Jimmy is now heading into year 8
    G'man you may be right, but IMO a 29 year old (30 in July) Jimmy Smith won't be so quick to give up a multi-million $ contract. I'll bet he will play in 2018... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    G'man you may be right, but IMO a 29 year old (30 in July) Jimmy Smith won't be so quick to give up a multi-million $ contract. I'll bet he will play in 2018... Bc
    I also think he'll play in 2018 but the last year of his contract is 2019. Another major injury and the Ravens could just get out and he might not like the offers out there for an over 30 oft injured player. James Lauranitus of the Rams went through that a couple of years ago. He was one of the highest paid at his position with the Rams. He didn't miss time but was banged up a lot. The Rams released him and at age 30 the best he could get was a cheap prove it deal with the Saints. Then the injuries became more serious. The Saints after that 1 year deal weren't interested and the money offered was light. At 30 years old Lauranitus retired.

Blog Entries

I also think he'll play in 2018 but the last year of his contract is 2019. Another major injury and the Ravens could just get out and he might not like the offers out there for an over 30 oft injured player. James Lauranitus of the Rams went through that a couple of years ago. He was one of the highest paid at his position with the Rams. He didn't miss time but was banged up a lot. The Rams released him and at age 30 the best he could get was a cheap prove it deal with the Saints. Then the injuries became more serious. The Saints after that 1 year deal weren't interested and the money offered was light. At 30 years old Lauranitus retired.
    IMO the Ravens are tiring of Jimmy Smith. "Oh if he was healthy, we'd make the playoffs" etc.
    I don't know his contract status as well as some, but I think 2019 may be the year for our team to move on from him. With Humphrey on the rise, and other CBs (healthy Tavon Young and Jaylen Hill, Maurice Canady, plus a draftee or two) might make DeCosta move on from JS... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    If we get a strong second half of 2018 from Jimmy, we should be happy. But we need a quality outside CB soon, irregardless. I would not be surprised if Ozzie takes Josh Jackson in the first. Shoeless Josh Jackson. The draft is said to be deep in underclassmen DBs - that is where I hope we harvest in a later round, which I expect to happen. Ozzie and Eric have a hot hand at that.
    If 2017 proved anything it's that you can fill and stack the defense as much as you want, it doesn't matter. The good teams are going to move the ball and score all over you.

A great defense can instantly secure you wins against the inferior teams and those playing with backup QBs. If you play enough bad offenses then maybe it'll single handedly get you into the playoffs. But against Ben, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, etc. they're going to get their yards no matter what you put opposite of them. The game is going to come down to whoever has the ball last and you either have the horses to pull off a successful final drive or you don't. How many times last year did our heavily invested defense give up a late lead, leave our offense with 1-2 minutes left to take the lead back, and they just couldn't string together that one final drive. In fact our 2 minute drill offense was probably the most pathetic in the entire league.

Taking another 1st round CB isn't going to change anything. We have a good future #1 CB in Humphrey, we can get a vet like Carr to man the other side and give him help when needed. It's time to go all in on offense to join the teams above in the current era of football instead of trying to re-live the dream from 20 years ago. We should be doing everything we can now to trade that pick down and pick up additional 2nd and/or 3rds. I'd even look into trading Z'Smith and/or Carl Davis to potentially get us a day 3 pick so that we have more ammo to move around.

IMO the Ravens are tiring of Jimmy Smith. "Oh if he was healthy, we'd make the playoffs" etc.
    I don't know his contract status as well as some, but I think 2019 may be the year for our team to move on from him. With Humphrey on the rise, and other CBs (healthy Tavon Young and Jaylen Hill, Maurice Canady, plus a draftee or two) might make DeCosta move on from JS... Bc
    2019 is definitely going to be decision time for Jimmy's future. My bet is he will be cut and brought back on a cheaper deal, depending on what he looks in the 2nd half of 2018 and who else we have on the team to take his place.

Blog Entries

Jimmy is signed through 2019. They would save $6.4 cutting him this year and $9.5 cutting him before the 2019 season. If he gets hurt again in 2018 you have to at least think about it. Knowing this group though they'll probably extend him 2 years to lower his cap number, and then he'll get hurt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    2019 is definitely going to be decision time for Jimmy's future. My bet is he will be cut and brought back on a cheaper deal, depending on what he looks in the 2nd half of 2018 and who else we have on the team to take his place.
    Yes DR, in his seven years as a Raven, he's only played in 16 games twice. It's no stretch to dub him "injury prone" ... Bc

Jimmy is signed through 2019. They would save $6.4 cutting him this year and $9.5 cutting him before the 2019 season. If he gets hurt again in 2018 you have to at least think about it. Knowing this group though they'll probably extend him 2 years to lower his cap number, and then he'll get hurt.
    G'man, the only thing I'd extend him would be my hand as I said good-bye... Bc