Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Is Baltimore's Football culture truly ready for an evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I was just reading a book, not pertaining to the Ravens, that still managed to get me thinking about comparisons for some of the information I gathered from it. The Ravens were a good comparison. Without going into too much detail, the underpinnings of recent Baltimore football culture, from a philosophical perspective, have been a strong rush offense supporting a focal pointed defense. However, the impetus of the 2012 Super Bowl playoff run was the passing offense, which out-shined both aforementioned aspects of the team.

There was a discussion that came up in the Lamar Jackson thread, about whether or not the Ravens coaching staff could maximize Jackson's skill-set. By comparison, Andy Reid was mentioned as a coach who he could benefit from, mind you, with the understanding that Mahomes is his chosen guy. Reid was used more as an example in this case. The point was brought up that Marty Mornhinweg was on Reid's staff, not only for successful offensive years in Philadelphia, but also for a successful time with Michael Vick. More than one analyst/pundit has felt that Jackson is the most athletic QB prospect since Vick.

The counter-point was that Reid oversaw that offense, and that it was more so Reid's show than Marty's.

Looking at the Ravens 2017 season, from the very beginning, I had concerns with Greg Roman bringing in a different run blocking scheme from that which Mornhinweg is most comfortable. The zone blocking scheme that Mornhinweg prefers to use and is most known for, was very key to the success of his playbook and play-calling overall. Especially, the screens that the Eagles were known for. There are varying disciplines to the varying run blocking schemes. As a result, while the rush offense did improve, it did so at the cost of a portion of Mornhinweg's playbook. The screens were largely ineffective in 2017, with Mornhinweg trying to call them in Roman's blocking scheme. One thing I can say about Reid is that Reid, like Kubiak, would not have allowed this lack of symmetry. There's this vibe I get that there is little to no concern over the passing offense being compromised, due to the contrast in styles, as long as the rush offense improves.

While none of us are happy with the way that the offense performed, I get the sense around the city that the Fan-base is glad that the rush offense improved. Dare I say, to the point that there is no concern for at what costs the improvement was made. This, in my opinion, tells me that there is still a large portion of the fan-base that is not ready for the passing offense to take on a larger role in the team philosophy. The talk of QB play, and the definite need for improvement at that spot, seems to be window dressing. I still get the impression that fans are trying to find ways to win with the defense leading the way. Even during the 2016 season when we threw the ball far more than we usually do. The discussion wasn't to get better play-makers and fine tune the passing offense. The discussion seemed to center around getting back to what the Ravens do best. Oddly enough, since Vinny was here, the only way they've truly tried with asserted effort: Running the ball well and playing strong defense.

For those of you in Baltimore, do you get the same sense from the fan-base that I do? For those of you outside of Baltimore, what vibe do you pick up from Ravens fans around you and fans of other teams' views of the Ravens?
    Culture isn't the problem.

Not winning football games is the problem.

The fact that this team is boring to some people is a separate problem from the fact that the Ravens don't have any strengths as a team. The 2012 team was so mediocre despite wining the championship. I have no idea why anyone would think the 2012 team in the playoffs were carried by the passing game when the playcalling was described by everyone to be conservative. Just check those old superbowl run game threads where people called Caldwell's playcalling "too conservative".

The fans have nothing to do with how mediocre the team is. We just want to see a team that actually stands out in something rather than a team that isn't particularly good at anything.

I know that there's nothing wrong with a strong running game and strong defense since that's what the Ravens championship teams are built on. Not because of some star quarterback trying to play hero football while we pretend that he's Johnny U.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Culture isn't the problem.

Not winning football games is the problem.

The fact that this team is boring to some people is a separate problem from the fact that the Ravens don't have any strengths as a team. The 2012 team was so mediocre despite wining the championship. I have no idea why anyone would think the 2012 team in the playoffs were carried by the passing game when the playcalling was described by everyone to be conservative. Just check those old superbowl run game threads where people called Caldwell's playcalling "too conservative".

The fans have nothing to do with how mediocre the team is. We just want to see a team that actually stands out in something rather than a team that isn't particularly good at anything.

I know that there's nothing wrong with a strong running game and strong defense since that's what the Ravens championship teams are built on. Not because of some star quarterback trying to play hero football while we pretend that he's Johnny U.
    Exactly, goes right back to the central point of what is the Raven's brand? What kind of team are they, want to be? It was pound and ground and instill fear in the other team team.
    Beats the shit out of me what Harbaugh's doing. This team isn't just boring, it's confusing, frustrating, and at a loss for an identity. The L's, the boring, the game day mess on the sidelines are all the symptom's.

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Exactly, goes right back to the central point of what is the Raven's brand? What kind of team are they, want to be? It was pound and ground and instill fear in the other team team.
    Beats the shit out of me what Harbaugh's doing. This team isn't just boring, it's confusing, frustrating, and at a loss for an identity. The L's, the boring, the game day mess on the sidelines are all the symptom's.
    I can handle boring all day as long as we are winning. That's not the problem. The problem is that the owner refuses to address the problems with this team (mainly terrible coaching). He feels that everyone is doing a great job, but we're still a losing franchise. Until the owner gets it, don't expect anything to change. Until the owner gets it, don't expect fans to not be apathetic towards the Ravens.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I can handle boring all day as long as we are winning. That's not the problem. The problem is that the owner refuses to address the problems with this team (mainly terrible coaching). He feels that everyone is doing a great job, but we're still a losing franchise. Until the owner gets it, don't expect anything to change. Until the owner gets it, don't expect fans to not be apathetic towards the Ravens.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Hey Moderators!!!!

It hit me hard when I heard smoove cleaning out gear to Plato's Closet and RWT going to the beach on game day. Those guys are fan's fans I respect the hell out of. I mean shit, if you lost them, how many other casual fans bolted too, a long time ago? I mentioned the trickle-down impact of apathetic fall-out a while ago from PSL's, tix, merchandise, etc.....

Has there been a measurable impact to RSR in either postings or visitors? I feel like I bleed black and purple but only visit here 1/2 of what I did. And I'm not a fair-weather fan. I can handle losing and still an old Colts fan that's grateful Baltimore has an NFL team. But it's watching this deterioration of the brand, and an owner that's completely in denial I can't take. His presser damn-near finished off what little enthusiasm I had left.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Hey Moderators!!!!

It hit me hard when I heard smoove cleaning out gear to Plato's Closet and RWT going to the beach on game day. Those guys are fan's fans I respect the hell out of. I mean shit, if you lost them, how many other casual fans bolted too, a long time ago? I mentioned the trickle-down impact of apathetic fall-out a while ago from PSL's, tix, merchandise, etc.....

Has there been a measurable impact to RSR in either postings or visitors? I feel like I bleed black and purple but only visit here 1/2 of what I did. And I'm not a fair-weather fan. I can handle losing and still an old Colts fan that's grateful Baltimore has an NFL team. But it's watching this deterioration of the brand, and an owner that's completely in denial I can't take. His presser damn-near finished off what little enthusiasm I had left.
    nailed it Don, boring takes a back seat and passion to win gets me excited. I don't see that passion any more on the Ravens.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Ravens are at a generation change among the fan base. The old line former Colts fans that bought into the Ravens on Day 1 are aging out of the fan base and the newer generations aren't picking up the slack.