Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Let’s Craig Mack Weddle and Jefferson!

Talk about an overpaid, undynamic duo, they are supposed to be Batman and Robin, but they play like Laurel and Hardy. Missed assignments, missed tackles, getting trucked, cats running through them, all for 18 million dollar cap hit! How you gonna be recruiting cats and y’all the source of the problem! Decosta need to Craig mack these fools! You won’t be round next year!!! Jefferson is on Elam level!!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Let’s Craig Mack Weddle and Jefferson!

I don't know what that means. Do they have to improve? Yes. This year though neither is getting cut if that's what you are saying.

Blog Entries

Is there a google translate for this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think Jefferson is as bad as Elam, and he could bounce back if used properly under a new DC. He's just not a back end safety... he needs to be roaming near the LOS.

However if you really want to set a guy like that loose you need a guy who can handle centerfield duties and that's not Weddle at this point in his career. He was one of the best safeties in football in 2016 but his play absolutely fell off a cliff last year. He's a Cover-2 safety, San Diego played him exclusively in Cover-2 his entire career and he doesn't fit a Cover-1 scheme.

I personally would cut Weddle and keep Jefferson. Jefferson is young and could bounce back, Weddle is washed up at this point. It's difficult though because the back 4 are not in good shape right now. Webb is horrible and will be cut, Jimmy Smith probably will start 2018 on the PUP if he plays at all, and Brandon Carr is another guy who probably isn't good enough for his salary. So there's a lot of pay vs. performance concerns there on top of injury concerns. Sounds familiar...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    Talk about an overpaid, undynamic duo, they are supposed to be Batman and Robin, but they play like Laurel and Hardy. Missed assignments, missed tackles, getting trucked, cats running through them, all for 18 million dollar cap hit! How you gonna be recruiting cats and y’all the source of the problem! Decosta need to Craig mack these fools! You won’t be round next year!!! Jefferson is on Elam level!!!!
    Can't judge any D players under the old DC.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't think Jefferson is as bad as Elam, and he could bounce back if used properly under a new DC. He's just not a back end safety... he needs to be roaming near the LOS.

However if you really want to set a guy like that loose you need a guy who can handle centerfield duties and that's not Weddle at this point in his career. He was one of the best safeties in football in 2016 but his play absolutely fell off a cliff last year. He's a Cover-2 safety, San Diego played him exclusively in Cover-2 his entire career and he doesn't fit a Cover-1 scheme.

I personally would cut Weddle and keep Jefferson. Jefferson is young and could bounce back, Weddle is washed up at this point. It's difficult though because the back 4 are not in good shape right now. Webb is horrible and will be cut, Jimmy Smith probably will start 2018 on the PUP if he plays at all, and Brandon Carr is another guy who probably isn't good enough for his salary. So there's a lot of pay vs. performance concerns there on top of injury concerns. Sounds familiar...
    I agree bro. Weddle got to go. He is a LIE A BILL A TEE!

Blog Entries

You could cut him this year and save 5 mill but he’s one of the only leaders on defense not sure it’s wise to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    I think that the poor play from these guys last season can be mostly attributed to the way in which they were used. Jefferson especially, was played out of position. He was fantastic in ARI playing near the LOS. If the Ravens wanted a center fielder, they should not have signed Jefferson because it's not his strength.
    This franchise is circling the toilet bowl of mediocrity waiting to be flushed.

Blog Entries

I'm not as willing to just cut Weddle as some of you guys are.

For one, he's been a huge proponent of recruiting FA's to come to Baltimore. That does make a difference.

Second, while he isn't the physical player he once was in terms of tackling, the guy had 6 picks last year, one he returned for a TD. He's had 10 INT's since coming to Baltimore 2 years ago.

Food for thought, but the last time anyone on the Ravens had more than 4 INT's in any given season was way back in 2011 (Webb, who had 5). In fact, Weddle's 6 picks this year marks the most picks of any one Raven since 2010 when Ed Reed had 8.

So, yes, he missed some tackle this past year. Yes, he isn't the physical coverage guy he used to be. However, interceptions are morale boosters for us and they're morale killers for the opposition. Turnovers, IMO, matter more than tackles.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shana View Post
    I think that the poor play from these guys last season can be mostly attributed to the way in which they were used. Jefferson especially, was played out of position. He was fantastic in ARI playing near the LOS. If the Ravens wanted a center fielder, they should not have signed Jefferson because it's not his strength.
    I would agree with this.

This is also why I'm a big advocate for more dime/speed defensive packages on the field.

I like Canady and I think he's only going to get better.

I also think Jefferson should be used more as a hybrid LB/SS. He's a heat seeking missile. Let him be that.

Attachment 4589
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not as willing to just cut Weddle as some of you guys are.

For one, he's been a huge proponent of recruiting FA's to come to Baltimore. That does make a difference.

Second, while he isn't the physical player he once was in terms of tackling, the guy had 6 picks last year, one he returned for a TD. He's had 10 INT's since coming to Baltimore 2 years ago.

Food for thought, but the last time anyone on the Ravens had more than 4 INT's in any given season was way back in 2011 (Webb, who had 5). In fact, Weddle's 6 picks this year marks the most picks of any one Raven since 2010 when Ed Reed had 8.

So, yes, he missed some tackle this past year. Yes, he isn't the physical coverage guy he used to be. However, interceptions are morale boosters for us and they're morale killers for the opposition. Turnovers, IMO, matter more than tackles.
    Don't care about him "recruiting FAs to come to Baltimore." Is there any evidence this has actually led to guys signing here? Sounds like puffery to me.

INTs are a great thing, but I'm sure we all remember the year Cary Williams had 4 INTs (with another 2 HUGE ones in the playoffs) yet was not actually a good player overall. I'm not sure the same situation doesn't apply to Weddle. Like Williams, Weddle gets targeted often because he isn't very good and surrenders tons of yards and TDs (think he gave up like 6 TDs last year after giving up 0 in 2016.) More targets = more possible picks.

I'm not saying he isn't still serviceable but he's overpaid and on the downturn.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I would agree with this.

This is also why I'm a big advocate for more dime/speed defensive packages on the field.

I like Canady and I think he's only going to get better.

I also think Jefferson should be used more as a hybrid LB/SS. He's a heat seeking missile. Let him be that.

Attachment 4589
    Yep. I think that for Wink and the rest of the defensive coaches, their biggest mission should be to put their players in the positions to which they belong. We have guys who were drafted rush the passer trying to play ILB, box safeties playing center field, highly-paid, two-down DTs only occupying blockers, etc. If they start to coach well, I think that a lot of these discussions concerning overpaid players will cease.
    This franchise is circling the toilet bowl of mediocrity waiting to be flushed.