Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Parkland FL. School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Being incompetent and missing telling signs about a person's mental health isn't working.
    Fixed it for ya ;)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    My question that I would love to hear some opinions on is - why do these shootings happen disporportionaly in the US, at least compared to other developed countires?

Now, we all know I'm Canadian, and I don't want this to come off as me being some snotty finger pointer.

I'm genuinely curious and want to have this kind of discussion.
    Mass shootings is a “new” phenomenon here. We’ve always had guns here like Rav said. It’s even in our Bill of Rights. I’d venture a guess that gun violence in general is prob higher in America due to the simple fact that more people have them. They are more readily available to everyone. I agree with Rav that the mass shooting problem is a direct reflection of the moral cesspool this country is becoming. Our kids can’t handle their emotions , we’ve tried to limit their exposer to anything “bad”. I’d add in the social media. Kids /people can hide behind a keyboard and bully the shit outa other people with no real repercussions. People say stuff on the net they wouldn’t dream of saying in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm not saying this would stop these attacks but it would certainly be more difficult for most them to shoot as many people as quickly if they have access to guns designed specifically for combat.

Doing nothing isn't working. There is this mentality that banning certain weapons is somehow a first step in banning everything. It's not. Eventually though if nothing is done there will be a bunch a gun control people who do get elected and will start taking all your rights away. The best way to stop that is through compromise. I know that's something that seems to out of fashion in this country but the alternative is a winner take all philosophy. We saw that exact thing happen in health care. With no compromise voters are going to feel the have to no choice but to vote for the extremists. I've seen it happen here in CT on the state level after Sandy Hook.
    That's not what my concern is. The "doing nothing isn't working" mindset so lets do "something" isn't helpful.

The worst school shooting in the country was done with handguns. The gun used is not the problem, people are the problem. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to find a way to fix people so I'm not sure if I want to open that can of worms right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Mass shootings is a “new” phenomenon here. We’ve always had guns here like Rav said. It’s even in our Bill of Rights. I’d venture a guess that gun violence in general is prob higher in America due to the simple fact that more people have them. They are more readily available to everyone. I agree with Rav that the mass shooting problem is a direct reflection of the moral cesspool this country is becoming. Our kids can’t handle their emotions , we’ve tried to limit their exposer to anything “bad”. I’d add in the social media. Kids /people can hide behind a keyboard and bully the shit outa other people with no real repercussions. People say stuff on the net they wouldn’t dream of saying in real life.

Blog Entries

Agreed. I just really don't get it. Only reason I hear is protection.

I don't have a gun in my house anymore as I moved my hunting rifles. I have zero problem protecting myself or my family.
    Well you live in Canada, which protects everyone...except for privileged white men...ruh roh... ;)
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That's not what my concern is. The "doing nothing isn't working" mindset so lets do "something" isn't helpful.

The worst school shooting in the country was done with handguns. The gun used is not the problem, people are the problem. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to find a way to fix people so I'm not sure if I want to open that can of worms right now.
    Wasn't that the VA Tech shooter?

That's actually a great example of "doing nothing isn't working so lets do something." Didn't the AWB ban magazines having a capacity higher than 10 rounds for ALL firearms and the VA shooter had over 30 fully stocked magazines in his backpack that day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    All my rifles are either bolt action or I have a .35 and 30/30 Marlin lever action. I don’t get why guys wanna own AR -15s. AK -47s. Guns easily made into full auto. I’ve seen them. Hell I’ve shot them. I personally don’t have a need or want for one.

Having been in the military, I've used all of them and I've used some weapons that aren't available to the general public (legally...)...

And honestly, I find hand guns and rifles to be much more enjoyable to fire than the AR.

I'll take a Remington 700 or a 1911 any day of the week.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Wasn't that the VA Tech shooter?

That's actually a great example of "doing nothing isn't working so lets do something." Didn't the AWB ban magazines having a capacity higher than 10 rounds for ALL firearms and the VA shooter had over 30 fully stocked magazines in his backpack that day.
    Exactly. It's very hard to stop someone committed to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I 100000000% support a better system of background checks for ANYONE looking to purchase a firearm. Apparently, this loser in Parkland bought his gun legally...and a background check was performed...yet they still sold him the weapon. Based on what's coming out in the press, this guy was a psycho. So, what exactly was checked?
    If the kid had no record of mental illness it wouldn’t show on a background check. Most states only use a “telephone” check for long arms. It only does criminal history and brief medical. Unless this kid was being treated it wouldn’t have shown up. Really if he wasn’t being treated for anything even the NSA wouldn’t have said he had a prob. That’s a failure of the parents and the school. If this kid was so bad that he was expelled then why didn’t the parents take him to see a Dr?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    I know some disagree with me and we have had civil debate about it, but I still can’t wrap my head around why anyone needs an AR15.
    My question that I would love to hear some opinions on is - why do these shootings happen disporportionaly in the US, at least compared to other developed countires?

Now, we all know I'm Canadian, and I don't want this to come off as me being some snotty finger pointer.

I'm genuinely curious and want to have this kind of discussion.
    More guns than people. Plus we dont really punish gun owners who are irresponsible. Its totally normal to have multiple guns unlocked in houses and parents will say "I taught my kid to respect guns, he wont touch them".

Guns everywhere + easy access + mental health + Media glorification = the current problem

*Note Im not a fan of massive gun control changes.... I do think owners (I am one) should be held accountable if they fail to secure their firearms properly....and I mean severely held accountable...theres no reason to own 10K worth in guns and not own a safe
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Having been in the military, I've used all of them and I've used some weapons that aren't available to the general public (legally...)...

And honestly, I find hand guns and rifles to be much more enjoyable to fire than the AR.

Shooting for fun, I prefer a handgun as well. AR's are fun if you want to shoot something at a distance though.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I agree 100%. My 300 Win mag is way more enjoyable to just shoot than any AR-15 I’ve shot. 1911 is an awesome weapon. Too damn expensive to shoot. Lol.