Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 101

Blog Entries

Re: Football 101

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    what's a catch?
    I T T, here's the definition :

verb (used with object), caught, catching.
    to seize or capture, especially after pursuit:
    to catch a criminal; to catch a runaway horse.
    to trap or ensnare:
    to catch a fish.
    to intercept and seize; take and hold (something thrown, falling, etc.):
    to catch a ball; a barrel to catch rain.

something Baltimore Ravens receivers find difficult to accomplish... Bc

Do you guys think Jim Johnson aggressive 43 defense would be a fit in todays NFL? I don't see it that often but it was something else back in the day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    Do you guys think Jim Johnson aggressive 43 defense would be a fit in todays NFL? I don't see it that often but it was something else back in the day.
    Panthers ran it a few years back. John Harbaugh said Jim Johnson was the best defensive coordinator ever

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    There is a big reason why that won't work like it used to. Johnson was able to use guys like Troy Vincent, Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown in man to man without a lot of nickel or extra DBs. Given todays rules it would be constant PI calls. Teams would just line up in the spread and kill them underneath.

The rule changes have made it so much easier to combat the blitz. It's why teams can't just run man or zone exclusively. They need to disguise and change things up which is something that Jim Johnson never did. He'd show you the same look but there would be Dawkins blitzing up the middle. The only guarantee was that the outside guys in the front 7 were coming to get you on every down. Blitzers could be anyone. That works when you can defend the pass with single man to man coverage. Now days it would be the RB running a hitch and TE on a slant and your safety getting taken out from a pick. Once the rules made it tougher for the secondary the offensive coaches really figured out how to exploit everything.

Blog Entries

Re: Football 101g

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    When teams have the ball at a hashmark, and they run a sweep, I often see them run the sweep toward the SHORT side of the field. Ie, if they are on the right hash, the sweep toward the right sideline.

That's tactically dumb, right? Sideline is an "extra tackler". Shouldn't all sweeps be run toward the open side of the formation, if possible?

Are teams doing this to try to surprise the D? Do Ds usually position themselves to deny the "open" side? What's going on here?
    Good question. It really depends on the team and the situation on the field. From a strategic perspective, the defense could be keying off the wide side of the field leaving the short side more vulnerable.

The main reason, or so I’ve always been taught, is that the QB is pitching the ball to an in-motion RB. If the QB misses to the short side of the field, the ball has a higher chance of going out of bounds than if they pitch to the wide side of the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Ok here's one I've always wondered about that likely 95% of you know. What is a "nickle defense"? How does it differ from other defensive formations (or stragedy)? Feel free to touch on when best used and such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nickel D means bringing on an extra defensive back and taking off a linebacker or defensive lineman.

There are lots of different variations of the Nickel D too. For example, “Big Nickel” could mean brining in another safety vs a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Can some one explain a "hard count"? I know the QB uses it to try and draw a defense off sides. But I'm not sure what a QB does to execute it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It's the element of surprise. Defenders are antsy. So, when that loud 'Huuuut!', they are ready to pounce. The QB tells the Center what the real count is and throws out the hard count to try and get the defense to jump offsides or show their hand. All the while, the Center knows the real count.
    Yep. Teams, Players tend to get into a habit of using the same cadence as the game goes on.... Defenders pick this up quite easily and start to anticipate the snap...its why you see the plays where the DE/OLB is already on the outside shoulder of the Tackle by the time he gets done his first kickstep..... Good OC's or QBs will notice when the defense has keyed in on their snap count and purposefully change when the snap, adding additional audible noises or calls to get the defenders to jump.

it also works well on 4th an short because the defense literally has to stonewall and get under the entire offensive line or they wont get a stop
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

the rules of today's game have made defenses like 43, 4-6 and tampa 2, obsolete.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Derf
    Ok here's one I've always wondered about that likely 95% of you know. What is a "nickle defense"? How does it differ from other defensive formations (or stragedy)? Feel free to touch on when best used and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Nickel D means bringing on an extra defensive back and taking off a linebacker or defensive lineman.

There are lots of different variations of the Nickel D too. For example, “Big Nickel” could mean brining in another safety vs a corner.
    Derf, just to add to wicked's appropriate explanation : standard defense uses 4 Dbacks (2 CBs and 2 Safetys), so it's like having 4 pennies and adding another to make a Nickel... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Yes. Very good description

The origin of the term is because a Nickel is 5 cents. Base defense has 2 CBs and 2 Safeties which is 4. The extra DB makes 5

Continuing the "stupid questions" thread. As we head into the draft, I was wondering:

Is the list of draftable players finite, and set? Like, the NFL has a master list of all draft-eligible players, and teams have it too? Or is it more like the MLB draft, where teams can pick players from all over the country / the world?

Is it possible for a team to announce on draft day that they've picked, I dunno, some kid in France that no other team's ever heard of, or a Canadian college player, or whatever? Or is there a "list" that teams have to stick to?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Continuing the "stupid questions" thread. As we head into the draft, I was wondering:

Is the list of draftable players finite, and set? Like, the NFL has a master list of all draft-eligible players, and teams have it too? Or is it more like the MLB draft, where teams can pick players from all over the country / the world?

Is it possible for a team to announce on draft day that they've picked, I dunno, some kid in France that no other team's ever heard of, or a Canadian college player, or whatever? Or is there a "list" that teams have to stick to?
    To my knowledge, all eligible players have to register with the NFL draft process to be drafted. Yes, an NFL team could certainly draft some kid from Canada or Europe if they wanted to, but that kid would have to be registered with the draft process, NFLPA, etc.