Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football 101

Football 101

We have some actual football knowledge on this board: guys who played in school, maybe guys who helped coach at lower levels, definitely some guys who break down film. I am often struck by how much I DON'T know about this sport I've been watching for ~40 years. I think it would be good to have a thread where we ask "dumb" questions about football, and get a couple answers from people who have some background.

If at all possible, I would like for this thread not to turn into every other goddam thread we have here. So please try not to post questions like "Why is John Harbaugh so dumb?" or "Can Marty M coach his way out of a paper bag?" or "Why have Joe's mechanics regressed so bad?" Whatever your personal hobby horse here, there are plenty of other threads on this forum dedicated to all things negative. It would be nice if this one could be pure knowledge share.

I feel like I've started this thread before, maybe a couple years ago. But I can't find it now, and anyway I have a new question or two. So here we go.

Re: Football 101g

When teams have the ball at a hashmark, and they run a sweep, I often see them run the sweep toward the SHORT side of the field. Ie, if they are on the right hash, the sweep toward the right sideline.

That's tactically dumb, right? Sideline is an "extra tackler". Shouldn't all sweeps be run toward the open side of the formation, if possible?

Are teams doing this to try to surprise the D? Do Ds usually position themselves to deny the "open" side? What's going on here?

Blog Entries

Re: Football 101

When it’s 3rd/4th and 1 (very short) why do teams put the QB in a shotgun making it 4th and 7?
    Drives me 🥜

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Run-Pass Option was a big deal this postseason. We've seen RPO before; but I think it was a little more prominent, more "public" this postseason. The Super Bowl announcers were all over how the Eagles coaching staff embraced this tactic, to help Nick Foles play.

Question: Since no one on the field knows whether the play will be Run or Pass until that split-second when the QB makes the decision – how the hell do the O-linemen not get called for ineligible downfield, if the play turns out to be a pass? Does the O-line have to do only a certain kind of blocking for that play to work? Like, it has to be a zone-blocking run, where the OL's first step is sideways, rather than upfield into their assignment, just in case the ball is thrown?

Or is the QB supposed to make the decision so fast, that it doesn't matter – the OL won't have time to get upfield and draw penalty?

How does this work?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    When it’s 3rd/4th and 1 (very short) why do teams put the QB in a shotgun making it 4th and 7?
    Drives me 🥜
    It assists your timing when you want a quick pass for a short gain. Having to drop back takes more time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    It assists your timing when you want a quick pass for a short gain. Having to drop back takes more time.
    Yeah and it rarely works. Pitt puts Ben in a shotgun and then punt. Pats put Brady under center and its first down

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Re: Football 101g

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    When teams have the ball at a hashmark, and they run a sweep, I often see them run the sweep toward the SHORT side of the field. Ie, if they are on the right hash, the sweep toward the right sideline.

That's tactically dumb, right? Sideline is an "extra tackler". Shouldn't all sweeps be run toward the open side of the formation, if possible?

Are teams doing this to try to surprise the D? Do Ds usually position themselves to deny the "open" side? What's going on here?
    Jim, I’m no expert (my football playing days were limited to high school) but the direction in which the toss/sweep is run is usually dependent on two things, defensive formation and tendency-breaking. Tendency breaking is obvious (it’s the old “4D chess” argument). Defensive formation is trickier.

If the defense is anticipating a run and the strong safety is in the box and shading towards the line, or the defensive end is wide in his stance towards the strong side of the play, a weak side toss to the short side of the field can gain major yardage by going against the grain and catching the defense over-extended laterally.

You’re right that there’s less room to work with, but all it takes is one missed tackle or a few good blocks to spring the RB up the sideline. A fast RB can usually make it to the edge before the SS and the LBs can scrape back across the wash to make the tackle.

The Ravens have actually gotten really good at that play where they have an unbalanced line with three TEs and they fake the toss to the strong side but end up doing a quick pitch to the weak side and picking up 4+ yards every time.

With Alex Collins’ speed and footwork, he’s a threat to get to the edge and “get small” by turning his shoulders ever so slightly to break through the tacklers and bust a big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Drives me 🥜
    It’s basically conceding your lack of faith in your short yardage rushing attack. The defense will always inherently have an advantage in stopping the short rush because of their 11 players to effectively 10 on the offense (and only 9 blockers, minus the QB and RB).

In theory the shotgun should get them to back off somewhat while leaving the draw play or the inside handoff as still viable run/playaction options. If you choose to throw from a traditional under-center approach the visual throwing lanes are much tougher and you’re usually under pressure almost immediately.

That being said, I agree with you, it rarely works. I’m a much bigger fan of New England’s super fast QB sneak that usually picks up five fucking yards every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why dont teams practice qb sneak? seems like it works for brady 90% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    why dont teams practice qb sneak? seems like it works for brady 90% of the time
    They don't want their QB getting hit at the LOS in practice?

Ok here's one I've always wondered about that likely 95% of you know. What is a "nickle defense"? How does it differ from other defensive formations (or stragedy)? Feel free to touch on when best used and such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Ok here's one I've always wondered about that likely 95% of you know. What is a "nickle defense"? How does it differ from other defensive formations (or stragedy)? Feel free to touch on when best used and such.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    that means bringing in an extra cornerback when the offensive team goes to 3 WR