Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: The Official 2018 NFL Draft Center Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Hot, I'm not savvy enough to give you a number, but let's remember what losing a young veteran to FA means : Yes we don't pay him $$$, and we're likely to get a decent Comp Pick, but we lose a guy who did a good job and is bound to get better going into his prime years, plus the Ravens have to spend a pretty high draft pick on a Center without knowing how he will perform at the pro level (see Gino Gradkowski). It's a trade off, but I'm in the "let's sign Jensen" camp. Joe Flacco is 33, can we at least try to surround him with solid offensive pieces that might help him win games for us as he approaches his mid-30's? ... Bc
    Jensen is not worth over 10m p.a. IMO. If we don't retain him, we can spend most of the money we wanted to spend on Jensen, on a WR instead. Last I read, this was important to you.

Your comment on Gradkowski is misleading on two counts - he was a 4th round draft pick, so you should not use his name to disparage a 1st or 2nd round pick at Center. And, the Center crop is rich at the very top - some of the best prospects in years - Price, Ragnow, Daniels. So if we get one of those three, we save money and very likely upgrade the interior of our line for longer than Jensen staying would have.

But I liked your Maurice Chevalier video - no man ever had more charm or a better smile.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Jensen is not worth over 10m p.a. IMO. If we don't retain him, we can spend most of the money we wanted to spend on Jensen, on a WR instead. Last I read, this was important to you.

Your comment on Gradkowski is misleading on two counts - he was a 4th round draft pick, so you should not use his name to disparage a 1st or 2nd round pick at Center. And, the Center crop is rich at the very top - some of the best prospects in years - Price, Ragnow, Daniels. So if we get one of those three, we save money and very likely upgrade the interior of our line for longer than Jensen staying would have.

But I liked your Maurice Chevalier video - no man ever had more charm or a better smile.
    rhap, I totally agree that Jensen is not worth $10 mil per. I'm just wanting him at a cheaper co$t, if possible.
    My GG comment was because (IIRC) he was the 1st pick in that 4th round and Ozzie had several trade offers, but he stuck to nabbing what they thought was a 4th round steal. Plus, your comment of using a 1st or 2nd round pick kind of backs up my thought of an underlying draft cost letting Jensen walk.
    I wouldn't mind getting Price, Ragnow, or Daniels, and you're right that we'd save money, but
    the rub is "very likely upgrade." How do we know that now?
    Thank you for your Chevalier comment. I couldn't agree more ... Bc

rhap, I totally agree that Jensen is not worth $10 mil per. I'm just wanting him at a cheaper co$t, if possible.
    My GG comment was because (IIRC) he was the 1st pick in that 4th round and Ozzie had several trade offers, but he stuck to nabbing what they thought was a 4th round steal. Plus, your comment of using a 1st or 2nd round pick kind of backs up my thought of an underlying draft cost letting Jensen walk.
    I wouldn't mind getting Price, Ragnow, or Daniels, and you're right that we'd save money, but
    the rub is "very likely upgrade." How do we know that now?
    Thank you for your Chevalier comment. I couldn't agree more ... Bc
    Every GM has to live with that with every pick. You will be more comfortable with this thought after Jensen is gone. But hey, some people think Skura should move up and we shouldn't "waste" a high pick on a C (Price and Ragnow play G, too).

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Every GM has to live with that with every pick. You will be more comfortable with this thought after Jensen is gone. But hey, some people think Skura should move up and we shouldn't "waste" a high pick on a C (Price and Ragnow play G, too).
    Very possible, and I'm not against drafting Price or Ragnow even if Jensen stays (my hopes of that seem to be dimming) because I am very much an advocate for strengthening the O-line... Bc

Mason Cole of Michigan would be my choice in the middle rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Mason Cole of Michigan would be my choice in the middle rounds.
    That's what I'm afraid of - a steady high floor/low ceiling guy who satisfies our mandatory Harbaugh-Michigan-lineman requirement.

With Yanda fading, I do not want worse than Jensen in the middle.

(AFCCG, January 2013)

That's what I'm afraid of - a steady high floor/low ceiling guy
    Problem is, I don't think that description is accurate for Mason Cole.

Cole isn't a low-ceiling player. He's barely played Center yet. He's been at LT (either by design or out of necessity due to injury) for most of his career. He has a lot of room to get better at Center, and he's already pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Problem is, I don't think that description is accurate for Mason Cole.

Cole isn't a low-ceiling player. He's barely played Center yet. He's been at LT (either by design or out of necessity due to injury) for most of his career. He has a lot of room to get better at Center, and he's already pretty good.
    Thanks for the info. I should probably get used to him. I like your avatar.

(AFCCG, January 2013)

I'm hoping to put up my interior OL analysis on Friday. In particular for Ragnow, Price, Daniels, Wynn, and maybe Hernandez. I've read through The Excelletor's analysis on them and I'm hoping I can add to it in some ways. there might be some conflicting views though. Let me know if there are some other prospects that I should check out too.

Jensen should be top priority and I would even give him 10mill a year. A revolving door on the OL is never good and this would make the third consecutive year we let a starter walk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BRfan96 View Post
    I'm hoping to put up my interior OL analysis on Friday. In particular for Ragnow, Price, Daniels, Wynn, and maybe Hernandez. I've read through The Excelletor's analysis on them and I'm hoping I can add to it in some ways. there might be some conflicting views though. Let me know if there are some other prospects that I should check out too.
    What about Will Clapp (OG/C - L.S.U.) or Braden Smith (OG - Auburn)? Thanks... Bc

What about Will Clapp (OG/C - L.S.U.) or Braden Smith (OG - Auburn)? Thanks... Bc
    Hey no problem, thanks for the request. I'll be sure to check them out. I haven't seen much of Will Clapp, but I have watched a little of Braden Smith and he's got some things to like (his size, smarts, versatility) and some things not to like (his short arms, lack of athleticism). But I'll check them both out. You've got to really hit on those 3rd, 4th, and 5th round guys to make a good team and that means checking out the lower profile guys.