Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Sounds like some hippie law that you would see in California.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I'd want my son to play football. But I sure as hell ain't going to tell another parent they can't let their kids play. Everyone should have the right to decide for themselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/s...ain-youth.html
    id wait til my kid is 12. he/she gets 2-3 years before playng in high school

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    A Democrat trying to tell folks what's good for them? Say it ain't so...
    You’re breaking your own off-season rules

Blog Entries

Maryland to introduce bill to ban tackle football under age 14

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You’re breaking your own off-season rules
    I am. You’re right. Infraction received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/s...ain-youth.html
    id wait til my kid is 12. he/she gets 2-3 years before playng in high school
    My 7 year own plays flag. It’s sponsored by the NFL. It’s the play 60 league. They get great reversible jerseys provided by the NFL. He was the Raiders this year and loved it. For his age it was perfect.

Any other state pass something similar?
    Illinois just introduced something similar (under 12). New York introduced something last year (under 13) but I don't know what happened with that.
    Last edited by alien bird; 02-05-2018 at 09:25 PM.

My 7 year own plays flag. It’s sponsored by the NFL. It’s the play 60 league. They get great reversible jerseys provided by the NFL. He was the Raiders this year and loved it. For his age it was perfect.
    flag is fine before 12. id wait till 12 for tackle

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I'm not sure I'd want my son to play football. But I sure as hell ain't going to tell another parent they can't let their kids play. Everyone should have the right to decide for themselves.
    The most recent research into CTE shows that it's repeated hits, not concussions, that are the primary cause. I don't see a downside to delaying the start of those impacts, and completely avoiding them in kids who don't play football in later years. And I'm not buying the argument that kids can't be introduced to proper tackling technique at a later age.

BTW, parents don't have any Constitutional right to expose their kids to whatever potentially dangerous activity they feel like. That doesn't mean we live in a "nanny state". Brain impairment is serious shit.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The most recent research into CTE shows that it's repeated hits, not concussions, that are the primary cause. I don't see a downside to delaying the start of those impacts, and completely avoiding them in kids who don't play football in later years. And I'm not buying the argument that kids can't be introduced to proper tackling technique at a later age.

BTW, parents don't have any Constitutional right to expose their kids to whatever potentially dangerous activity they feel like. That doesn't mean we live in a "nanny state". Brain impairment is serious shit.
    Taking every avenue away from children creates a new form of impairment. No more gym. No more Liberal Arts. No more contact sports. Your brain has to learn, from experience, how to do and deal with certain things. Stripping children of that experience limits their brain development.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

I agree with some of the sentiment here if proper techniques are taught and regulated kids can play the game. I'd rather emphasize that than pass another law on what families can do. It does seem like over-regulation to me.

The issue isn't the game, it's the players that strap on these helmets (designed better every year) and stick the crown of it into someone's jaw. Like the Brandin Cook hit. The helmet is designed to protect, not act as a battering ram.

With that said, my son loves football and wants to play. However, I've been signing him up for baseball and soccer and just playing football with him in the back yard. I guess when he's a teenager and if he still wants to play we'll address it then.
    Last edited by ERey; 02-05-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Many neurologists will tell you that the younger age is not really the problem, they really
    aren't hitting with the velocity that they do at the middle school, high school and college levels.
    Taking football away at this age really does nothing. Having said that I have a a 10 year old who is dying to play football and we keep playing soccer.