Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best Ravens team to NOT win a SB

ESPN has a neat little series of articles detailing each respective franchise's best team that failed to win a SB. For the Ravens, they went with the 2008 team:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...nchises#ravens

I was surprised they went 2008. That was certainly one of our better teams, but I'd put the 2006 team as our best non-SB winning team. I'd also probably put the 2011 team above the 2008 team, as we had a defense that was pretty much on the same level, if starting to show some signs of slipping, but a much more productive offense with Joe having a few years under his belt, Q and Torry at WR, and Ray Rice at his best. That team came closest to being in the SB as any of our teams that didn't make it, one dropped pass away (man, it still hurts 7 years later god damn it!).

So I say:

1. 2006
    2. 2011 (a very close 2nd, but that '06 team was just SO dominant on defense)
    3. 2008

What say you?
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Re: Best Ravens team to NOT win a SB

You have it right. As usual ESPN gets it wrong.

Blog Entries

It's 2011 for me. When this comes up I ask myself which team would beat which team and to me the 2006 team has close to no chance against either of the other two. I think the 2011 team would beat them handily, and if you matched 2008 vs. 2006, it's probably looking a lot like the Titans playoff game that year.

FWIW, the 2008 team, despite ranking 2nd in defense, actually gave up fewer YPG than the 2006 one did. They gave up more points though.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

lee ev*******

I agree with your post. The 2009 team also deserves a bit of mention. The +130 point differential was 4th highest in team history despite only finishing 9-7. I think we saw how good that team really was top to bottom with how they dismantled the Patriots at home in the wild card.

What held the team back that year was Flacco getting hurt and Suggs playing poorly after getting fat that offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    It's 2011 for me. When this comes up I ask myself which team would beat which team and to me the 2006 team has close to no chance against either of the other two. I think the 2011 team would beat them handily, and if you matched 2008 vs. 2006, it's probably looking a lot like the Titans playoff game that year.

FWIW, the 2008 team, despite ranking 2nd in defense, actually gave up fewer YPG than the 2006 one did.
    No doubt it's 2011. We were justin tucker away from Superbowl IMO and we had New England right where we wanted them and we let them off the hook

Blog Entries

2011 over 2006 simply because we had a better offense, team was more balanced. Both defenses were great although I’d give an edge to the 2006, but the balance is the difference to me. Basically same reasoning for 2008.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    So I say:

1. 2006
    2. 2011 (a very close 2nd, but that '06 team was just SO dominant on defense)
    3. 2008

What say you?
    I go back and forth with 2011 and 2006. 2008 I dont really consider near them. I know how good that defense was in 2006, but that offense was much much worse than our 2011 team. the offense let them down in 2006, the defense in 2011. offense was a known problem in 2006. the defense was decent in 2011, so that let down was unexpected. for that I lean towards 2011 being the better all around team, but i think its too close to call really. Ive long said 2011 team was better than our 2012 team, and ill continue to believe that. the football gods form of Karma I guess. You do point out they were the closest as that FG game in 2006 wasnt nearly as close or heart breaking. I guess maybe that would give 2011 the edge for me as well.
    -JAB

Definitely 2011 for me

2006 was the best defense the Ravens have ever had. Both 2006 and 2011 offenses were middle of the pack.

I think it's the 2006 team for sure.

How about the 2009 team or 2014?

Blog Entries

2011 was the best team we ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk