Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap

Salary Cap

OK - We have a salary cap on players.

Should there be a salary cap on coaches? Everybody knows player pay and how it counts against the cap as well as dead money. Should coaches be subjected to a similar type of system.

If the NFL is as 'cost conscious' as they want people to believe why shouldn't coaches be a part of the same thought process.

Re: Salary Cap

Personally, I like the idea. I think that coordinators and assistants should get standard agreed upon amounts based on payscales, and I think that HC salary should be factored in the salary cap/floor of the player's roster.

Its actually pretty surprising to me that big market teams like the Cowboys or Giants don't just shell out $15-20 million a year for coaches like Bill Belichick, seeing as their salary doesn't factor into the salary cap.

You could even argue that the HC is more important than other one player on the team other than the QB. Even that might be debatable. Or with some QB's, should I say "deflatable?"

Blog Entries

No way. Which team can't afford to pay their coaches? These teams make more than enough money to pay coaches. The Raiders who in the past 20 years have been near the bottom in league attendance just committed $100 million over 10 years to a coach. This isn't the Yankees having a roster that costs triple what the Rays are able to afford. There is no possible reason to put a cap in coaching, front office, marketing or any other function.

I personally don't think a salary cap is needed. I like the salary cap so much because it increases competitiveness (at least in theory). There's enough turnover because guys go for HC jobs (or other promotions, i.e. position coaches for coordinators spots) to maintain competitiveness.

The Pats may lose McDaniels and Patricia for example.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No way. Which team can't afford to pay their coaches? These teams make more than enough money to pay coaches. The Raiders who in the past 20 years have been near the bottom in league attendance just committed $100 million over 10 years to a coach. This isn't the Yankees having a roster that costs triple what the Rays are able to afford. There is no possible reason to put a cap in coaching, front office, marketing or any other function.
    Correct. I agree that we've never really seen bidding wars over coaches. If this became a problem, I might see some action being taken, but for now, it seems like the owners have some kind of unspoken agreement not to overpay coaches to steal them from each other. The Jon Gruden deal notwithstanding which seems to be an outlier.

I know that I've heard commotion about going to a set payscale for assistance per league rules, but I'm not sure if that's still getting any traction.

IMO, what a team could do if they were flushed in cash and wanted to really game the system, they could keep a HC who did well for them, and hire another coach who has HC talent and a proven pedigree, and give him HC money to be the team's OC or DC. I remember I used to do that in Madden.

It seems like teams do typically stick to their payscales. Giving HC's $4-8M a year, and giving the coordinators $800K-1M a year, and paying the position coaches much less than that, and not really deviating from that.

Again, if it ever became a problem we might see some action. This is why the NCAA has rules about how many coaches they can employ, and teams like Alabama get around them by calling some of them "consultants."

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I personally don't think a salary cap is needed. I like the salary cap so much because it increases competitiveness (at least in theory). There's enough turnover because guys go for HC jobs (or other promotions, i.e. position coaches for coordinators spots) to maintain competitiveness.

The Pats may lose McDaniels and Patricia for example.
    Pats lose Patricai? LOL

I swear i think this is Romeo Crennell and Charlie Weiss all over again. How did the 29th ranked defense defensive coordinator get elevated to the Lions Head coach and they fired Caldwell who had a winning record. I get Mcdaniels getting all the attention but WTF has Patricai done?

Hard to believe Billionaire owners are that stupid but apparently they are

Blog Entries

No. I understand the need for a salary cap simply for competitive balance (I do however think the players should reap a higher % of revenues) but coaches salaries are not affecting the balance of power in the NFL and I could give a fuck less about how much money a billionaire has to spend to keep the guy they like.

I think everyone should be able to make as much money as they can get paid. I don't see a point on putting a cap on coaches, Gruden is literally the only coach I ever seen be talked about on how much money hes getting paid, good for him, this is a non issue. Browns could of paid him the same...we could have have......Raiders did

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Pats lose Patricai? LOL

I swear i think this is Romeo Crennell and Charlie Weiss all over again. How did the 29th ranked defense defensive coordinator get elevated to the Lions Head coach and they fired Caldwell who had a winning record. I get Mcdaniels getting all the attention but WTF has Patricai done?

The glaring example of continued stupidity is the Cleveland Browns. 'Nuff said... Bc

Nope. This would be "solving" a problem that doesn't exist.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Pats lose Patricai? LOL

They Lions hired a former Patriots front office guy as GM last year. He worked with Patricia for 12 years. That’s why he hired him. It wasn’t Martha Ford making this decision.

Blog Entries

Players and teams careers live and die with the coaches. A bad coach can ruin a player's career and vice versa. Pay them as much as you want.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore