Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Defensive End or Outside linebacker?

I know the 4-3 vs 3-4 debate has gone on forever, but this defense is one pass rusher from being dominant. So, should we get a defensive end, or another edge guy?

Re: Defensive End or Outside linebacker?

WR

I would like to see how the guys we have now do under better and more aggressive coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    WR
    We can get wideouts in free agency. We need a pass rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I would like to see how the guys we have now do under better and more aggressive coaching.
    This. You have invested so much in those two positions over the last three years. Let Wink work with that. In round one, they should be drafting OL, WR (if the value is there), RB, DB, or an interior pass rusher like Vea.
    This franchise is circling the toilet bowl of mediocrity waiting to be flushed.

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    They have pass rushers. Get them off the pine and on the field...
    This franchise is circling the toilet bowl of mediocrity waiting to be flushed.

The first rounder you know you can hit on regardless of what position he plays

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    Suggs, Judon, Bowser, Tim Williams and Z Smith??? Can we please pick a freaking offensive player just once??????

We have like 8 "pass rushers" already on this team. Use the tools that you've already squandered resources on and deal with it.

Besides, this defense is overrated and more than "1 pass rusher" away from being dominant.

I'm scared to death of this team drafting a WR we don't seem to do well with that
    assignment
    In our entire history the best we have done in Torrey Smith right?
    I would be in favor of drafting the Best player available we also say we do that but I think
    we draft the best player at the position we need usually

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Suggs, Judon, Bowser, Tim Williams and Z Smith??? Can we please pick a freaking offensive player just once??????
    TY, OL, more precisely OT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yards View Post
    I'm scared to death of this team drafting a WR we don't seem to do well with that
    assignment
    In our entire history the best we have done in Torrey Smith right?
    I would be in favor of drafting the Best player available we also say we do that but I think
    we draft the best player at the position we need usually
    This narrative has been busted time and time again. Have you ever taken a look at just how many times we've even attempted to draft WR in rounds 1-3 in the past decade?

From a post I made back in December:

"We've drafted 2 WR in rounds 1-3 in the Flacco/Harbaugh era. 1 was Torrey (2nd), 1 was Perriman (1st). 50% bust rate

For comparison:

RB: 2, Rice (2nd), Pierce (3rd). 1 bust 1 stud. 50% bust rate

TE: 3, Dickson (3rd), Gillmore (3rd), Maxx Williams (2nd). 100% bust rate!

There's really no evidence to support we're better off picking RB/TE than WR in the early rounds. If the argument is that we can't develop any later round WR then all the more reason to take one early. I'm not saying to take one no matter what, but if there's a solid prospect that is within 5 picks on our board then we should be taking him over a safety, defensive lineman, or pass rusher considering what we've already invested at those positions.

I wonder why people don't hold the same standard to drafting defense as they do drafting WR.

3 safeties in Flacco/Harbaugh era rounds 1-3:Zibikowski (3rd), Terrance Brooks (3rd), Elam (1st). All busts

8 linebackers: Gooden (3rd), Kindle (2nd), Upshaw (2nd), Art Brown (2nd), Mosley (1st), Correa (2nd), Bowser (2nd), Williams (2nd). 4 busts, 1 serviceable but not worth the slot (Upshaw), 1 good player (Mosley), and 2 too early to tell. That's horrendous track record yet nobody says no to drafting linebackers early."