Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ Mosley

Blog Entries

Re: CJ Mosley

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I was thinking more like a direct trade up of Mosley to a team ahead of us. Team gets Mosley plus 16. We get Smith. We get 8 years (maybe 9) of high level ILB play without paying a huge second contract unless Smith is clearly worth it.
    1st off, you'd make one hole @ ILB and fill it with another guy. Yes, R. Smith would be cheaper, but the hole we'd fill would require us to ignore some other 1st round pick. Does not make sense to me. 2nd, you speculate 8/9 years of high level play. How in the world do you know that? 3rd, you expect "high level ILB play" but not paying a huge second contract. That is just so illogical... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    And Brees, And Cousins
    They are already higher for this year. Both of them had ACV of 24m this year. I based it off this year. Flacco's ACV is also inflated compared to others because he has Salaries of 20m and 24m in 2020 and 2021. If they move on from him after 2019 he would have been 20m a year ACV. 4 years 80.5m.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    1st off, you'd make one hole @ ILB and fill it with another guy. Yes, R. Smith would be cheaper, but the hole we'd fill would require us to ignore some other 1st round pick. Does not make sense to me. 2nd, you speculate 8/9 years of high level play. How in the world do you know that? 3rd, you expect "high level ILB play" but not paying a huge second contract. That is just so illogical... Bc
    I agree Bc. Plus, Roquan is an unknown quantity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

CJ Mosley

If they are going to sign him you should just do it this year you would according to Bravor save 5-6 million in cap space

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    during the STOR i think 2 years ago ozzie said his priority is to be "Strong up the middle". he signed Bwill, Weddle, and the next piece is Mo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ley
    They're both overpaid IMHO. As for Mosley I think he ends up somewhere in the $7 to $9 mil range. He's a good NOT great ILB.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

You would have to tap into the free agent market to get a quality ILB like a Zach Brown. There are a handful of them that are on the market this year. They would cost you roughly 4-5m based on the ILB market from last year. That opens up 4-5m in cap space this year to fill a more pressing need like say WR or TE where it is very difficult to draft players that make an immediate impact. If you were to use the first rounder on Roquan you would be able to fill another hole with the freed up cap space from trading Moseley. I have no idea if Roquan would be here 8 or 9 years but I would feel better about going into next year with ILBs of Zach Brown and Roquan smith and 5 more in cap space.

We cant keep shelling out monster contracts to defensive players for fear of creating holes. This team has no problem letting offensive players walk only to use cheaper options and the draft to address the holes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree Bc. Plus, Roquan is an unknown quantity.
    Right wicked, but I could see us drafting Roquan while keeping Mosley to get a strong one-two punch @ ILB. That I could live with... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    You would have to tap into the free agent market to get a quality ILB like a Zach Brown. There are a handful of them that are on the market this year. They would cost you roughly 4-5m based on the ILB market from last year. That opens up 4-5m in cap space this year to fill a more pressing need like say WR or TE where it is very difficult to draft players that make an immediate impact. If you were to use the first rounder on Roquan you would be able to fill another hole with the freed up cap space from trading Moseley. I have no idea if Roquan would be here 8 or 9 years but I would feel better about going into next year with ILBs of Zach Brown and Roquan smith and 5 more in cap space.

We cant keep shelling out monster contracts to defensive players for fear of creating holes. This team has no problem letting offensive players walk only to use cheaper options and the draft to address the holes.
    (1) It's always easier to paint some scenario like : trade Mosley, save million$, sign Zach Brown, draft Roquan Smith, than actually doing it.

(2) Shell our monster contracts? Like for who... if you mean the likes of BWill, then I'm with you, but it's not as if the Ravens pay over-the-top contracts to top-tier talent on a regular basis. Would you have let Suggs and Jimmy Smith walk?

You've just got to pay some players sometimes or you'll end up out of the playoffs on a regular basis. Hmmm... Bc

(1) It's always easier to paint some scenario like : trade Mosley, save million$, sign Zach Brown, draft Roquan Smith, than actually doing it.

(2) Shell our monster contracts? Like for who... if you mean the likes of BWill, then I'm with you, but it's not as if the Ravens pay over-the-top contracts to top-tier talent on a regular basis. Would you have let Suggs and Jimmy Smith walk?

You've just got to pay some players sometimes or you'll end up out of the playoffs on a regular basis. Hmmm... Bc
    Tony Jefferson
    Eric Weddle
    B Williams

Were all in the last couple of years. Jimmy Smith was top 10 at the time he signed his contract. The problem with giving Moseley a big contract now is that we do not have the money to do it so they will end up back loading the contract and it will look like Jimmy Smiths. Jimmys ACV was 10m. His cap number the next two years is 16m. His dead money would be 13m if we cut him this year and 7m next year.

We are out of the playoffs on a regular basis now so why not try and change it up like the rest of the league. We always sign guys like B Williams and Moseley to long term contracts and now we have missed the playoffs 4 years in a row. So why are we going to keep doing the same things over and over. Strong up the middle worked at the turn of the century. Here we are 17 years later still trying to win the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    If they are going to sign him you should just do it this year you would according to Bravor save 5-6 million in cap space

Absolutely right. It'd be one of my first moves if the team does plan to keep him. Extend or trade, don't wait. I expect an extension.

Blog Entries

Right wicked, but I could see us drafting Roquan while keeping Mosley to get a strong one-two punch @ ILB. That I could live with... Bc
    100%

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I didn't mean 8-9 years of play from R. Smith. I meant we would have 8 years of total production at ILB from Mosley and Smith for a very reasonable cost. Of course Smith is unproven. All draft picks are but it would save a big second contract to Mosley and use those resources elsewhere. To my eye, he is a better prospect than Mosely was coming out of college. Having both on the field would be great but I cant see Smith falling to 16. I think Mosley will be re-signed to a large deal. Whether that turns out to be a good thing is unknown.