Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Defense Rules! Is Ozzie Wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. Many of us thought Correa would work out. What we need is better development of the defensive players that we DO have.
    No hindsight here. Overwhelming majority were banging the table to get Jack with our original 2nd round pick. Unacceptable that we ended up drafting Correa to try to play the same position when he didn’t show 1/10th of the ability to do so in college.

Blog Entries

He's wrong in the sense that the three teams you mentioned, built around the defense, because they didn't have QBs. The Jaguars initially tried to build around Bortles and when he showed that he couldn't take advantage of the resources, they decided to build the defense. The Vikings haven't had a set QB in years. Bridgewater got hurt. Bradford got hurt. They have some pass catchers, so they decided to build the defense and let the pass catchers make up the difference. Philly is probably the only team that actually had a QB, but it's not as if that defense was built to cover for Wentz. It's just being coached up very well and they've done a good job finding talent.

Ozzie had a QB, who even led the team to a title. You build around your strength. The defense first approach didn't net Ozzie a title, save 2000. The run first approach didn't net Ozzie a title. Joe throwing the ball netted Ozzie a title. He was the strength to build around. Now, he's been wasted. New England had a good defense last year as well, but it was really just well coached and a compliment to the offense. Why? Because they had a QB.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He's wrong in the sense that the three teams you mentioned, built around the defense, because they didn't have QBs. The Jaguars initially tried to build around Bortles and when he showed that he couldn't take advantage of the resources, they decided to build the defense. The Vikings haven't had a set QB in years. Bridgewater got hurt. Bradford got hurt. They have some pass catchers, so they decided to build the defense and let the pass catchers make up the difference. Philly is probably the only team that actually had a QB, but it's not as if that defense was built to cover for Wentz. It's just being coached up very well and they've done a good job finding talent.

Ozzie had a QB, who even led the team to a title. You build around your strength. The defense first approach didn't net Ozzie a title, save 2000. The run first approach didn't net Ozzie a title. Joe throwing the ball netted Ozzie a title. He was the strength to build around. Now, he's been wasted. New England had a good defense last year as well, but it was really just well coached and a compliment to the offense. Why? Because they had a QB.
    Ozzie doesn't want some shit defense. It can take a long time to build a truly elite and dominant defense especially if there aren't any good DCs available. Minnesota has been at it for about 7 years now trying to build a defense that can stop Rodgers and might finally have it but guess what? They played a great first half, then got gassed and gave up what could have, maybe should have been the GW field goal. It happens to theirs just as it happens to ours and Jacksonvilles. Defenses get gassed but when they're boiling hot and forcing turnovers, the offense absolutely NEEDS to capitalize and not put them into bad situations late in games. We luckily had hall of famers and all pros for many years that pretty much prevented that no matter what.. but that's a once in a lifetime gift to have.

Blog Entries

I'll always believe in defense over offense when it comes down to it... but those defense based teams have weapons aswell. Look at all the big plays the had to make to win their games that cane from throwing the ball.

Even if the Ravens had the #1 defense this season and made the post season. They still probably lose games like what we seen yesterday because they simply don't have the fire power to keep up on offense. We seen it on that Sunday night game at Pittsburgh. If Flacco had a Steffon Diggs and a Rudolph, the offense would be so much better. Also having a better offense improves the defense.

Blog Entries

I dont really agree with the sword in over spending our resources on offense.... he thinks you need about 5 elite wrs and every single starting player on the OL needs to be elite for the QB to succeed. I don't really buy that... but its true that without more fire power and weapons we wont be contenders again. We had Boldin, Torrey and Pitta for our SB run... and that was enough to get the sB
    You dont have to trade up more than ten spots to get a guy, but resources need to be spent a lot more than the Ravens have on offense recently.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I dont really agree with the sword in over spending our resources on offense.... he thinks you need about 5 elite wrs and every single starting player on the OL needs to be elite for the QB to succeed. I don't really buy that... but its true that without more fire power and weapons we wont be contenders again. We had Boldin, Torrey and Pitta for our SB run... and that was enough to get the sB
    You dont have to trade up more than ten spots to get a guy, but resources need to be spent a lot more than the Ravens have on offense recently.
    No he doesnt.... they just need to be better than crap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    No he doesnt.... they just need to be better than crap
    Maclin was supposed to be our fringe #1 WR.... he has beeb a huge disappointment. Wallace is a capable #2... and Perrimen is a bust. A least some effort has been made, but Maclin not panning out has hurt us a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. Many of us thought Correa would work out. What we need is better development of the defensive players that we DO have.
    I didn't see too many places that had Correa as a late first...most were late 2nd.

Even then, Myles Jack was considered one of the best 5 players in that draft and he fell because of long term concerns over his knee. I said then though, so what if he doesn't have a 8 year career, if you draft him in the second and get 3 really good years out of him, he was totally worth that pick.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

That #1 Vikings defense blew a 17 point lead and a late drive that led to a field goal. The Vikings offense ended up winning the game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I didn't see too many places that had Correa as a late first...most were late 2nd.

Even then, Myles Jack was considered one of the best 5 players in that draft and he fell because of long term concerns over his knee. I said then though, so what if he doesn't have a 8 year career, if you draft him in the second and get 3 really good years out of him, he was totally worth that pick.
    According the the draft gurus Jack was like a can of soup with an expiration date. He's got 2 more years left and he won't be able to play anymore because of the knee. It will be interesting to see how the reality ends up playing out.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Funny premise to the thread considering the last 2 minutes of both games today where none of the defenses could come up with a stop.
    lmao

I was thinking the same thing. How many points were put up in those games ? Not to mention none of those offenses are in the bottom. I don't think anyone says you don't need defense, you just can't altogether ignore offensive needs while building it. Not to mention, our defense isn't as good as some still want to proclaim it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    According the the draft gurus Jack was like a can of soup with an expiration date. He's got 2 more years left and he won't be able to play anymore because of the knee. It will be interesting to see how the reality ends up playing out.
    And I really wonder how much the Ravens are getting like the Orioles in assigning importance to the injury factor - at least in the draft projections. I am not going to criticize a team for hesitating to draft/sign a player when there is a question about their injury possibilities, but you have to have a really good medical staff to give that element the appropriate weight - or be willing to take a chance even with question marks.

Hey Dolphins, Drew Brees was an option ....
    Captain Offense