Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Defense Rules! Is Ozzie Wrong?

If Ozzie wants to go that defense route, he needs to pick the best defensive players on the board and pick guys like Jack and stop being cute with guys like Correa.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    He's just wrong in how he did it. You look at these teams and what do they have that the Ravens don't? Pass rushers. What did the 13 Seahawks and 15 Broncos have? Pass rushers. The Ravens have no consistently good pass rushers on their roster, and under Pees they rarely did anything to help that. Maybe Williams and Bowser make that leap in their second year but that's what is missing here.

And, not to beat a dead horse, these teams aren't paying run players 50+ M. You look at the big money guys on these teams and it's Calais Campbell, Everson Griffen, Malik Jackson, etc.

This is so well said. The issue with our D this year was mostly lack of pressure on the quarterback, letting the secondary spend way too much time trying to defend the pass. This is why I really hope our front office does not listen to the fans at all and if they see decent pass rush/defense prospects in the early rounds, they take them. Our lack of pass rush is responsible for at least 2 losses this year. That would have made us an 11-5 team and more than likely in the dance this year.

I don't want to see our front office waste time/money on WR prospects when for the past 20 years they have shown they really are not adept at that part of the draft. Use the draft to your strengths and free agency to get those targets for Flacco. That will give you the balance everyone keeps chirping about.

Our front office should take TLC's advice when it comes to drafting WR prospects in early rounds:

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If Ozzie wants to go that defense route, he needs to pick the best defensive players on the board and pick guys like Jack and stop being cute with guys like Correa.
    Hindsight is 20/20. Many of us thought Correa would work out. What we need is better development of the defensive players that we DO have.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20. Many of us thought Correa would work out. What we need is better development of the defensive players that we DO have.
    wink was the LB coach last 2 years...

Blog Entries

Many also screamed wtf?

C’Mon Man! Who you kidding?? I doubt anyone on this board even knew who Correa was. That pick made Kiper and all the pundits palm their heads at the same time. That kid showed up to camp with a mask and six gun cause he str8 stole $$ from the Ravens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    wink was the LB coach last 2 years...
    Wink is Pees 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    C’Mon Man! Who you kidding?? I doubt anyone on this board even knew who Correa was. That pick made Kiper and all the pundits palm their heads at the same time. That kid showed up to camp with a mask and six gun cause he str8 stole $$ from the Ravens.

Correa was projected as a late first or early 2nd. Kiper had him going to Arizona in the first round.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post

Ya none of that is true

Blog Entries

People expectations are too high when it comes to the draft. 14 and 15 overall don’t look great but drafts don’t get much better than 16. You’ll never hit 100%. Correa, Kaufusi and Dixon are currently the only guys that look like ‘misses’ at this point, and then you have Michael Pierce as a UDFA. And I’m not ready to completely write Dixon and Correa off at this point. I have little to no hope for Kaufusi. It’s hard to predict injuries but there’s not much reason to believe Lewis and Young can’t come back and perform up to their rookie years. Stanley, Moore, Judon, Canaday and Pierce... I mean potential hitting 6 of 9 picks along with a UDFA. That’s a great draft.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    People expectations are too high when it comes to the draft. 14 and 15 overall don’t look great but drafts don’t get much better than 16. You’ll never hit 100%. Correa, Kaufusi and Dixon are currently the only guys that look like ‘misses’ at this point, and then you have Michael Pierce as a UDFA. And I’m not ready to completely write Dixon and Correa off at this point. I have little to no hope for Kaufusi. It’s hard to predict injuries but there’s not much reason to believe Lewis and Young can’t come back and perform up to their rookie years. Stanley, Moore, Judon, Canaday and Pierce... I mean potential hitting 6 of 9 picks along with a UDFA. That’s a great draft.
    No doubt Jon. I have zero faith in Dixon or Correa. But like you said 6/9 is a great draft. It’s just the spots drafted that hurt. Like Elam and Brooks. If they weren’t 1st and 3rds it wouldn’t be a big deal Like Correa he’s a 2 ( that they traded down for and coulda had Jack or Spence). That’s where it hurts. That’s why I’m actually fine with BPA in the first. Don’t force a pick. But also don’t get cute and grab someone who really no one else wanted.

Funny premise to the thread considering the last 2 minutes of both games today where none of the defenses could come up with a stop.