Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

Suggs was a great player but age is catching up to him, speed wise. The thing that he still has is great football IQ. We need his leadership too. We just need to have him rest more like others have said.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    It won’t happen. It should have happened the off season after Joe got injured. Now they will have a slow rolling runoff of vets. The only way I see them cutting a bunch of cap is if the team craters next year and overhaul coaching staff and front office.

The closest we will come to a purge may be after next year. Weddle, Yanda, JSmith all potential cuts while Suggs may not signed. Could also cut Jefferson if he is awful.
    If the Ravens have a losing season in 2018 then I believe a cap purge is on the horizon. That along with a change in coaching would be a great time to reboot and rebuild. There are a number of older QB's in the AFC that will be gone in a few years which gives the Ravens a chance to groom Flacco's replacement. Unfortunately I see 2018 as being just like 2016 and 2017 with the same old inconsistent play and not making the playoffs.

Sure hope that I am wrong.

They have the opportunity to keep the current team pretty intact for two more years. The only important players who will be UFA during these two off-seasons are Jensen and Wallace this year and Mosley and Suggs next year.

After 2019, you have the opportunity to start completely from scratch. The only large contracts remaining will be Flacco, Williams, Jefferson and Carr, all of whom can easily be cut by then.

So, if you choose this approach then we are two years away from a complete cap purge. The question is, do you believe the current team is good enough win the SB within two years? If not, then waiting really makes no sense and the cap purge will probably be split between the 2019 and 2020 off-seasons.

Regardless of which approach you choose, very few of the current players should be on the team by 2020. Mosley, Stanley, the Wolfpack and the 2017 draft class are probably close to the only ones.

With regards to Harbaugh and Ozzie, I would move on from them if we miss the playoffs in either of the two upcoming seasons. However, this also introduces one problem. What do you do if we make the playoffs for the next two years (but do not win the SB) and then are forced to start from scratch in 2020? It would be hard to move on from an HC and GM coming off two consecutive playoff seasons, but it would also be preferable to get some fresh blood in if you are starting from scratch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I don’t think fan wise it would hurt that bad. This team has no real “fan favorites” like with Ray and Ed. Joes almost done Maybe 4-5 yrs tops. Suggs is done now he just won’t go away. That leaves Yanda who is on the way out also. Webb’s been cut so that’s it. They could “blow it up” after Joe is done and I don’t think most would care. Prob is ....the coaching staff is stale as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Suggs had 11 sacks... how is he done?

I think that Flacco is pretty locked in for the next season or two. And, it sounds cliché, but he isn't a bad QB, he's just had no weapons and a poor offensive line for the past 2-3 seasons. It really did seem like most of his picks were the ball going into the receivers hands, and literally squirting out right into the DB's hands, hard to blame that on the QB. I think that it comes down to drafting. We just need to draft better, and we'll get better.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRaven View Post
    If the Ravens have a losing season in 2018 then I believe a cap purge is on the horizon. That along with a change in coaching would be a great time to reboot and rebuild. There are a number of older QB's in the AFC that will be gone in a few years which gives the Ravens a chance to groom Flacco's replacement. Unfortunately I see 2018 as being just like 2016 and 2017 with the same old inconsistent play and not making the playoffs.

Sure hope that I am wrong.
    I agree to a certain extent but there is not a whole lot to purge. There are only about 3 people you could purge. I doubt regardless of what happens that they cut Flacco after 2018.

I don’t think fan wise it would hurt that bad. This team has no real “fan favorites” like with Ray and Ed. Joes almost done Maybe 4-5 yrs tops. Suggs is done now he just won’t go away. That leaves Yanda who is on the way out also. Webb’s been cut so that’s it. They could “blow it up” after Joe is done and I don’t think most would care. Prob is ....the coaching staff is stale as hell.

I don't think the coaching staff is stale. I think they just aren't good,

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Suggs had 11 sacks... how is he done?
    Leach my man ...Suggs had a great year no doubt..but unless my man is on the “Juice” he’s not gonna keep doing that. Despite what Tommy B says ..Father Time is Undefeated! That’s what I was saying. He’s got 1 yr left on his deal..play that and retire or the FO would have to think about it.

Blog Entries

I don't think they have to do a cap purge any time soon. However, if they were going to do it, it should be when they can comfortably cut Flacco and not eat shit for the next few years with dead money. So...2019 or 2020 would probably be the best time to do it.

However, like I said, I don't think they have to do a cap purge - at least not a massive one. Look at how young this team is right now - especially on defense. Yes, they have a lot of money locked up in Weddle and Jefferson, but Jefferson is what...25 years old? He's just entering his prime years. He didn't have a great 2017 season and first impressions are hard to shake, but he did make some splash plays here and there. I'd expect him to be better next year.

Weddle is 32 and will be nearing retirement. Plus, I think hes only signed through 2018 anyway.

Jimmy can be cut after 2018 with not a lot of cap issues, IIRC.

Humphrey, Tavon, Canady, and Hill are the corners of the future - not bad.

The big player on defense they'll have to figure out is Mosley.

Offensive, they line - assuming they keep Jensen - is pretty young and solid considering how well Skura played. Yanda is really the only old guy on the OL and I guess he'll be retiring in the next year or two.

They have young RB's.

Flacco is only 33 and could still be a decent player for the next 3-4 years depending on how they build around him.

So, realistically, I don't think they need to purge the cap. I think they need to hit on some draft picks and make sure that guys like Wormley, T-Williams, Bowser, Siragusa, and A. Lewis can answer the bell when they're called.

CORRECTIONS:
    Weddle is signed through 2019, but the Ravens could save $5 mill against the cap by cutting him this off-season. The guy had 6 picks and one returned for a TD this past year. I can't see the Ravens cutting him, but I could see them restructuring his contract to reduce is $8 mill cap hit.

Jimmy Smith is signed through 2019 as well, but he can be cut after the 2018 season and save about $10 mill against the cap. I could see him being a restructure candidate as well. He counts $15.6 mill against the cap in 2018.

Additional Notes:
    Marshal Yanda - He will be 34 this year and he counts over $10 mill against the cap. Cutting him saves about $6 mill. In 2019, cutting him saves about $7 mill. I love Yanda, but with his age and back-to-back seasons with fairly significant injuries...plus with the way Hurst, Jensen, and Skura played down the line...I wouldn't be surprised at all if they cut Yanda and used those dollars to keep Jensen who is 8 years younger.

Jeremy Maclin is an obvious cut - $2.5mill in dead money and $7.5 mill against the cap...savings of $5 mill if they cut him.

Danny Woodhead - he's old, he's hurt a lot, and the Ravens are getting Dixon back (also a very good receiving back). Saves $2mill by cutting him.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 01-16-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Hey I like Suggs also but with the way the FO drafts he’s really just holding up a young guy. Kinda like Doom when he was here. Unlike Ray they have actually drafted guys to take over for Suggs.

But who can outplay him at this point? Development is great, but I'd hate to see less pass rush than we had last year

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Wicked, can’t see them cutting Yanda this offseason. If he gets injured this year then that might be the end but he was still the top guard in the league before injury. He’s one of our few elite players. Can’t see it and really hope we don’t see it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Wicked, can’t see them cutting Yanda this offseason. If he gets injured this year then that might be the end but he was still the top guard in the league before injury. He’s one of our few elite players. Can’t see it and really hope we don’t see it.
    I wouldn't like it either. Who saw the Pats cutting Logan Mankins though?

It happens.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.