Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 128
  1. #1

    Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    As we all know, every year the Ravens are up against the cap. It has cost them dearly when it comes to retaining their own well developed talent. As another poster pointed out . . . imagine how good the O-line could have been for a very long time.

    Kicking the can down the road has become a standard procedure, and is one of the reasons for the gradual decline in the franchise.

    Do you think the Ravens will eventually commit to a cap purge? How bad would it hurt in the short term? If they actually did it, how would fans handle it?





  2. #2

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    Quote Originally Posted by wilshade View Post
    As we all know, every year the Ravens are up against the cap. It has cost them dearly when it comes to retaining their own well developed talent. As another poster pointed out . . . imagine how good the O-line could have been for a very long time.

    Kicking the can down the road has become a standard procedure, and is one of the reasons for the gradual decline in the franchise.

    Do you think the Ravens will eventually commit to a cap purge? How bad would it hurt in the short term? If they actually did it, how would fans handle it?
    I think now is the time to do it. No one expects the Ravens to be competitive next year. The problem is that they won't be getting rid of Harbaugh. Without the leadership he had on the field and in the locker room, Harbaugh has proven that he's in way over his head. It's a bit ironic that he got rid of all the alpa-males and they were the ones making him look serviceable as a head coach.

    Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk





  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    14,134
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    You do it the year after you move on from Flacco wipe out all your vet contracts play what ever bad back up you have get the 1st or second pick and start fresh


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,845
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    I think now is the time to do it. No one expects the Ravens to be competitive next year. The problem is that they won't be getting rid of Harbaugh. Without the leadership he had on the field and in the locker room, Harbaugh has proven that he's in way over his head. It's a bit ironic that he got rid of all the alpa-males and they were the ones making him look serviceable as a head coach.
    I don't think most would agree. Flacco will be 34, so like him or not, he will be our QB for the foreseeable future. The last two years (8 - 8 and 9 - 7) the Ravens were on the doorstep of the playoffs. I'm not saying this will happen, but a smart FA signing or two, plus a solid draft, and the Ravens are back in it. We just have enough good players, both young and old, not to blow it up... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 01-13-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling





  5. #5

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't think most would agree. Flacco will be 34, so like him or not, he will be our QB for the foreseeable future. The last two years (8 - 8 and 9 - 7) the Ravens were on the doorstep of the playoffs. I'm not saying this will happen, but a smart FA signing or two, plus a solid draft, and the Ravens are back in it. We just have enough good players, both young and old, not to blow it up... Bc
    Well, we most likely won't be facing near the amount of backups that we did this year. This really masked how bad we are. The Ravens are obviously not committed to becoming a truly competitive team as evidenced by keeping the coaching staff relatively intact. If Pees hadn't retired, you know he would've been retained. I really think that the coaching staff isn't NFL caliber. With better coaching, we'd have better results. As the Ravens maintain their course, we will be passed by the Browns in 2-3 years.

    Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,845
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Well, we most likely won't be facing near the amount of backups that we did this year. This really masked how bad we are. The Ravens are obviously not committed to becoming a truly competitive team as evidenced by keeping the coaching staff relatively intact. If Pees hadn't retired, you know he would've been retained. I really think that the coaching staff isn't NFL caliber. With better coaching, we'd have better results. As the Ravens maintain their course, we will be passed by the Browns in 2-3 years.
    Although I am reluctant to agree with your last sentence, "passed by the Browns" sends a chill up my spine, I do agree with the rest of your post. Thing is the powers that be are hesitant to make sweeping changes, so we're bound to get more of same... Bc





  7. #7

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    Quote Originally Posted by wilshade View Post
    As we all know, every year the Ravens are up against the cap. It has cost them dearly when it comes to retaining their own well developed talent. As another poster pointed out . . . imagine how good the O-line could have been for a very long time.

    Kicking the can down the road has become a standard procedure, and is one of the reasons for the gradual decline in the franchise.

    Do you think the Ravens will eventually commit to a cap purge? How bad would it hurt in the short term? If they actually did it, how would fans handle it?
    It will happen around the time Joe retires/gets cut.

    It will be a year when we don't figure to compete.

    But really, it doesn't have to be painful, last time they did that was perhaps one of the funnest years as a Ravens fan as I could remember in 2002...despite having a losing record. That was one of the best jobs Ozzie and Brian ever did.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,641
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    I recall Steve Bisciotti saying he always wanted to stay competitive. Well, no doubt the Ravens have meaningful games in December every year. I think this is why they spend up to the cap. But I'd be all for a purge and a down year or two to get the cap under control. They can't survive like this. They are up against the cap and aren't paying any super stars except for Yanda who know ones who he is.





  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Harford Cnty , MD
    Posts
    4,582

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    I don’t think fan wise it would hurt that bad. This team has no real “fan favorites” like with Ray and Ed. Joes almost done Maybe 4-5 yrs tops. Suggs is done now he just won’t go away. That leaves Yanda who is on the way out also. Webb’s been cut so that’s it. They could “blow it up” after Joe is done and I don’t think most would care. Prob is ....the coaching staff is stale as hell.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  10. #10

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    Should have done it last year. Instead, they filled to the line with players that were not going to push us over the edge. If it's another bad year, I think whoever is running the team at that time has to realize that this team needs a reset.





  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Ravenland, USA
    Posts
    386

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    If it's another bad year, I think whoever is running the team at that time has to realize that this team needs a reset.
    We definitely needed a reset after this season. That 9-7 record was all smoke and mirrors. Our schedule was easy even before we wound up playing against all those backup QB's. The defense was hit or miss. Sometimes they looked incredible and sometimes they looked like deers in the headlights. The offense looked much better in the second half but we have very little young talent on that side of the ball. I can't wait to hear Bisciotti's explanation for not changing anything. The only reason we made any change at all was because Pees retirement forced their hand. And when they made the change they went with the same old, same old.

    On another note, anyone see Tony Jefferson put his local house up for sale? He going to be part of the cap purge?





  12. #12

    Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

    I think after this season is the perfect time. You jettison Flacco/Harbaugh at the same time, get rid of all the bad contracts, and hire some up and coming young mind. You understand you're going to take some lumps the first two years, but maybe you catch lightning in a bottle.

    The Browns are in the enviable position of having 100M+ in cap space, and two top 5 picks. Obviously, they're the Browns so they'll screw it up, but still. I'm tired of always being hamstrung by shitty contracts and mediocre draft position.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site