Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: The Fall of the Ravens Empire

To try to put some reasons for optimism out there - the 2016 draft could go down as one of the best in Ravens history. Ronnie Stanley, Alex Lewis, Chris Moore, Kenneth Dixon on O & Tavon Young, Willie Henry, Matt Judon & Mo Canaday on D. All could seriously outperform their rookie contracts. 2017 - love Humphrey as a #1 CB. Chuck Clark got legit minutes late in the year. Bowser, Williams, Wormley, Siragusa could all develop nicely. Eleumenor - not that hopeful about. If these rookies take strides like last year's rookies, they will have ~1/4 - 1/3 of the roster spots on next year's 53 with 2 drafts + UDFA's in those 2 years (Adeboyojo, Bam Bradley, Ricard, Tim White, Peanut, Pierce, Skura). There has been a serious youth injection on this roster in the last 2 years. (And, some bad contracts for older guys) I, for one, am optimistic about this team moving forward. Injuries have ravaged this team over the last 3 years - and the "football gods" have to give us 1 healthy year in the near future. Add in more youth w/this draft class, some stud UDFA's & with a play maker that we over pay for or find late (Steve Smith, Derrick Mason type tough guy / alpha male) in the offseason as a cap cut....I can see some excitement back on O. healthy O-Line, healthy Flacco, Collins/Buck/Dixon, Moore/Adeboyojo/CampanIRo/TimWhite/and more volume of bodies - I am not nearly as pessimistic as most. I see youth & speed being added over the last 2 years. With 1 more infusion, we might have something worth getting excited about.

Blog Entries

Ozzie:

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post

Kid on the left represents Ravens assets invested on defense, kid on the right (up in the air), well you know... Bc
    Which is why its so frustrating that Joe (regardless of how he played in the 1st half) ultimately gives them the lead with under 2 minutes to go in crucial games and the D shits the bed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    What if the Ravens decide not to host the State of the Ravens press conference?
    I think they'll skip it this year. And that's okay, just a bunch of fluff with Harbaugh saying he believes in everyone.

Blog Entries

Given the no shows at the stadium and obvious fan frustration is seems like it would be a huge mistake to me. It's the one time of the year we hear from the owner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Given the no shows at the stadium and obvious fan frustration is seems like it would be a huge mistake to me. It's the one time of the year we hear from the owner.
    I actually think that's why they'll skip it. They don't want to talk about this, and why should they, from a PR standpoint they've seemed to botch everything lately.

Great piece, Tony. I agree fully that our owner and HC are loyal to a fault to their friends. I think that SB really likes both Harbs, Ozzie and the FO people. I think he really enjoys being on this journey with the Ravens with them. Our HC feels the same way about the coaches who work for him. This is an admirable human trait but it definitely gets in the way of making objective decisions because the temptation is to make excuses for lack of performance rather than make a hard and cold analysis of what went wrong and why. This is especially easy to do in football when you have injuries. I know our IR list is a mile long but it is the job of the FO and the coaches to adjust with the next man up.

One thing is to remember is that except for Joe's knee injury last year, the Ravens have had their starting franchise QB for almost every game of the last 10 years. Losing a starting QB to injury almost always tanks a season (Matt Cassell & Case Keenum not withstanding) I would rather lose 3 or 4 impact starters than than play 16 games with Ryan Mallett. Would you rather have Yanda, Lewis, Urban and Gillmore healthy with Mallett at QB? I wouldn't.

Without taking sides, I see the kneeling issue like this. When people go to their favorite restaurant, most don't want the employees protesting anything even if it is something everybody agrees with ('no more child abuse"). If the owner of the restaurant allows and even encourages them to do it, he is chasing customers away because people who are spending good money going out to dinner for recreation and don't want to hear or see it, even if it is for a good cause. SB has chosen to chase some of his customers away, again because he likes his players and is loyal, which is admirable but he will soon see that some are gone for good.

To use a phrase, the Ravens need to "self scout" the entire organization and admit that some significant mistakes in drafting, player development, coaching, roster management and cap management have put them in this jam. Not giving the fans reasonable hope for the future should not be an option.

I could see that they would think it there is nothing productive that can come from it, since it appears people already have their minds made up. They may figure that nobody will ask questions that can really be answered, and Fans will be livid that nobody rolled players/coaches under the Bus, so what can be gained.

It would be a mistake, but then PR does not seem to be a strong point right now.
    Captain Offense

I started thinking about them not doing State of the Ravens.

I find it interesting that people would be mad given they're usually mad after every press conference becuase they don't get anything out of it. Regardless of having it or not you're not going to get what you want so does it matter?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I actually think that's why they'll skip it. They don't want to talk about this, and why should they, from a PR standpoint they've seemed to botch everything lately.
    Sad, sad truth. I don't know who to blame, but it's been so damn awful, ever since Jenay regretted her role in getting punched in the face by an NFL running back. From that, through the public Kaepernick flirtation, to the Cass letter, they just serve themselves up for public ridicule over and over and over. I think the PR world may have passed Mr. Byrne by.

Blog Entries

Then, that would mean they are ashamed, as they should be.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

IMO they have to do it (State of the Ravens press conference). As most of you know, I am old and retired. However, in my working career (44 1/2 consecutive years in computer mainframe technology 1965 - 2009) I had to face some pretty awful projects, meetings, managers, clients etc. I can tell you that I faced each and every issue with the best I had. Didn't come out on top every time, but nobody can accuse me of cowardice in the face of fire. The Ravens management should do so too. They owe it to their fans... Bc