Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 25 to 35 of 35
  1. #25

    Re: How to fix the offense



    I know people said you can't pigeon hole them into drafting offense, but you almost have to. As soon as you leave the "well, if a defensive player is rated that high, get them" card open for this GM and staff, they'll repeat the last draft because they'll always have defenders rated higher that offensive players.

    But even before they draft, they need to go out and get Allen Robinson. He can't break the bank, his injury last season as well as having only a single thousand yard season will make him "fairly" cheap. After that, re-sign Wallace if possible and go get either Lee on Moncrief.

    Then STILL draft a WR early in the draft (I'm talking round 1 or 2). Cut everyone else except Moore and I guess Camp. And have Marty run the offense like the second half of the season. I don't believe the whole "Joe's back healed" stuff. What lingering injury gets better after playing 8 weeks of football and taking sacks/hits all day? But after Pitta calls out the offense, it clearly changes

    As previously stated, if Joe can go into Pittsburgh, with the trash he had to throw to, and lead an offense to 28 points, WITHOUT A SINGLE DEFENSIVE TURNOVER ALL GAME, then he can damn sure run an offense with some actual talent





  2. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    12,994
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Sutton first round DJ Moore second Center and Te in the third. Olineman in the 4th. Team fixed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  3. #27

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    80-90% of our problems on offense is lack of skill players and depth. So I think they need to tell Ozzie you can't draft anymore defensive players until you fix the offense. I don't care what a value at d line you have to pass up. The offense has suffered since the Super Bowl. Use every pick this year and maybe most next year. You just can't win with scrap heap players without a few prime players as well.
    This is too easy. Are you assuming that Oz is really making the final calls, without input/pressure from Harbs? And do you assume that Oz would follow the orders you suggest? The problem is too complex for a solution this simple.
    Last edited by houstonravensfan; 01-12-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.





  4. #28

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Sutton first round DJ Moore second Center and Te in the third. Olineman in the 4th. Team fixed


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’d be okay with that.

    I’d like to think the team saw the declining attendance and heard the negative buzz from the fans, so they’re looking at this as almost an “existential crisis” draft.

    They need excitement, badly. They need playmakers. They will draft WRs/TEs and RBs. The first round pick may still be BPA, but the directive for the rest of the rounds will be excitement, and playmakers.

    Once upon a time we had one of the most productive and dangerous WR tandems in the entire NFL: Michael Jackson and Derrick Alexander. Let’s make it Sutton and Moore and do it again!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  5. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Behind enemies lines Shitsburgh
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: How to fix the offense

    I really like Robinson down in Jacksonville. With his injury, may make it cheaper for us to sign if hit the market. He i would think is a Playmaker that you have to plan for. And he balls out with even BB throw ducks at him. And feel he wants to be great. Wants to make his QB great.
    I want receivers that want to be great, that guy on 3 down. That “ throw it to me Joe , i got your back “ guy. I just hope we can play the cap to our advantage this year to make made a statement in the FA market with real Playmakers. And double that up in draft. Even if BPA in first day. Second and third day do all the homework to supply Marty and Joe with talent.





  6. #30

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    I know people said you can't pigeon hole them into drafting offense, but you almost have to. As soon as you leave the "well, if a defensive player is rated that high, get them" card open for this GM and staff, they'll repeat the last draft because they'll always have defenders rated higher that offensive players.

    But even before they draft, they need to go out and get Allen Robinson. He can't break the bank, his injury last season as well as having only a single thousand yard season will make him "fairly" cheap. After that, re-sign Wallace if possible and go get either Lee on Moncrief.

    Then STILL draft a WR early in the draft (I'm talking round 1 or 2). Cut everyone else except Moore and I guess Camp. And have Marty run the offense like the second half of the season. I don't believe the whole "Joe's back healed" stuff. What lingering injury gets better after playing 8 weeks of football and taking sacks/hits all day? But after Pitta calls out the offense, it clearly changes

    As previously stated, if Joe can go into Pittsburgh, with the trash he had to throw to, and lead an offense to 28 points, WITHOUT A SINGLE DEFENSIVE TURNOVER ALL GAME, then he can damn sure run an offense with some actual talent
    ^this

    I know that we have usually gone BPA as far as draft strategy but at this point with early round LB's and D lineman from last years draft being healthy scratches on many a gameday this season you almost have to disregard those positions because the logic is that they too would sit because of the back log. The offense has to be improved and with the cap that aint happening in free agency so it has to happen in the draft. I for one at this point would prefer some early round offensive talent that would have a chance to play significant time on this offense rather than another few second and third round defensive picks who are going to play minimal snaps.

    I would love for them to land Robinson
    Last edited by Ravensforce83; 01-12-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Forgot point





  7. #31

    Re: How to fix the offense

    With the understanding that “fix” means to make competent, average, or slightly above average...

    A “fixed” but not great offense would be an offense with a healthy run-pass balance, and a passing game with a receiving corps that is varied enough to present mismatches on any given Sunday.

    Trade for Tyrell Williams.
    Trade for Tyler Lockett.
    Maneuver along the draft board and get a do-over of the 2015 draft, namely find the players you thought you were getting in BP and Maxx.

    Williams is big and fast and young. He still has room to grow as a receiver. He's an RFA.
    Lockett is sneaky fast and has a certain ability to make a big play in the passing game and return game. This is his walk year. He seems to have been supplanted by Richardson.

    The Chargers are going to want to see what they have in Mike Williams.
    The Seahawks have a new OC. Rather than force him to play with the old OC's toys, the team might prefer to give him more draft picks so he can buy toys of his own liking.

    Neither Williams nor Lockett have peaked. Neither is so good that they will keep you from drafting the next {insert name of your favorite great receiver here}. But both are weapons who can “fix” this offense while we wait to draft and groom a dominant receiver.

    The team doesn't have cap capital. They do have some draft capital. Making a trade for a receiver sends a more direct message to the fans that the team is proactively and purposefully trying to improve at the position, rather than merely being carried by draft day falls or free agency fax blunders. The team needs a PR win. Business as usual won't cut it.





  8. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Harford Cnty , MD
    Posts
    3,292

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Quote Originally Posted by Coram_Nobis View Post
    With the understanding that “fix” means to make competent, average, or slightly above average...

    A “fixed” but not great offense would be an offense with a healthy run-pass balance, and a passing game with a receiving corps that is varied enough to present mismatches on any given Sunday.

    Trade for Tyrell Williams.
    Trade for Tyler Lockett.
    Maneuver along the draft board and get a do-over of the 2015 draft, namely find the players you thought you were getting in BP and Maxx.

    Williams is big and fast and young. He still has room to grow as a receiver. He's an RFA.
    Lockett is sneaky fast and has a certain ability to make a big play in the passing game and return game. This is his walk year. He seems to have been supplanted by Richardson.

    The Chargers are going to want to see what they have in Mike Williams.
    The Seahawks have a new OC. Rather than force him to play with the old OC's toys, the team might prefer to give him more draft picks so he can buy toys of his own liking.

    Neither Williams nor Lockett have peaked. Neither is so good that they will keep you from drafting the next {insert name of your favorite great receiver here}. But both are weapons who can “fix” this offense while we wait to draft and groom a dominant receiver.

    The team doesn't have cap capital. They do have some draft capital. Making a trade for a receiver sends a more direct message to the fans that the team is proactively and purposefully trying to improve at the position, rather than merely being carried by draft day falls or free agency fax blunders. The team needs a PR win. Business as usual won't cut it.
    Dude you’re 100% right but with one caveat...Oz covets picks. No way he “willy nilly “ trades them away. Even when he has he’s only given up like. 5,6,7. I doubt you get either of those dudes for that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  9. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    19,792
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    I know people said you can't pigeon hole them into drafting offense, but you almost have to. As soon as you leave the "well, if a defensive player is rated that high, get them" card open for this GM and staff, they'll repeat the last draft because they'll always have defenders rated higher that offensive players.

    But even before they draft, they need to go out and get Allen Robinson. He can't break the bank, his injury last season as well as having only a single thousand yard season will make him "fairly" cheap. After that, re-sign Wallace if possible and go get either Lee on Moncrief.

    Then STILL draft a WR early in the draft (I'm talking round 1 or 2). Cut everyone else except Moore and I guess Camp. And have Marty run the offense like the second half of the season. I don't believe the whole "Joe's back healed" stuff. What lingering injury gets better after playing 8 weeks of football and taking sacks/hits all day? But after Pitta calls out the offense, it clearly changes

    As previously stated, if Joe can go into Pittsburgh, with the trash he had to throw to, and lead an offense to 28 points, WITHOUT A SINGLE DEFENSIVE TURNOVER ALL GAME, then he can damn sure run an offense with some actual talent
    I actually posted that line and I am a strong offensive advocate. Thing is let's say Ridley and Sutton have already been taken, but Roquon Smith (ILB) and/or Minkah Fitzpatrick (Dback) are available. Would you bypass them just to take an offensive player who's not quite at their talent level? Again, I want offense so badly that if Ozzie selected our first 3 on the "O" I'd flat out kiss my sister-in-law (on the cheek of course). Can't paint yourself into a corner draft-wise, look at what it did to us when we did that on "D" last year... Bc





  10. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    951

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Thing is let's say Ridley and Sutton have already been taken, but Roquon Smith (ILB) and/or Minkah Fitzpatrick (Dback) are available. Would you bypass them just to take an offensive player who's not quite at their talent level?
    No...I'd make moves in the draft to make certain that we get Ridley (or whomever the F.O. decides to target).

    Basically, don't sit back and wait to see who falls to #16... identify your target(s), and then get into position to land him (them).

    I'd rather draft 5 players we REALLY need / want than 8 players, four of whom won't impact the team.





  11. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    28,089
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: How to fix the offense

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    No...I'd make moves in the draft to make certain that we get Ridley (or whomever the F.O. decides to target).

    Basically, don't sit back and wait to see who falls to #16... identify your target(she), and then get into position to land him (them).

    I'd rather draft 5 players we REALLY need / want than 8 players, four of whom won't impact the team.
    I agree with targeting certain players but that doesn’t have to be in round 1. The Steelers got JuJu in round 2 last year. The Saints targeted and traded up to get Kamara in round 3. That targeted player doesn’t have to be in round 1 where the cost to move up is often very high.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site