Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 297

Thread: Calvin Ridley

  1. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    32,252
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Calvin Ridley



    I agree it's tough to judge him due to the poor QB play and their run first mentality. Most mocks have him as the #1 WR but that's still not without risk. 16 is too high for him IMO, maybe bottom of first. Its early...
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!





  2. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    28,089
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    iklio
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    That's your opinion. I consider a beast a game changing player regardless of size. I feel that Antonio brown is way more of a beast then mike williams. Is mike williams even a beast? Odell Beckham is a beast. Shady is a beast. They're all finesse.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beckham and Brown are both physical players. They love it when defenders try to jam because they have the power to break right through and gain a step. Jarvis Landry is another small guy that bulked up because his game was all about physical play.

    It's not just size. It's the ability to beat coverage with something beyond speed and quickness. Ridley has never had to do that in college. He's had to run good routes. He's had to catch poorly thrown balls. He's had to keep going to get open while his QB takes an hour in the pocket to make a decision. What he hasn't had to do much of is catch balls in traffic or while a single defender is right there with him.

    The National Championship game was the perfect example of that. 2 balls thrown in the end zone to Ridley in the 4th. The first hits him right in the hands over his shoulder with a defender there. He can't hold on. The second, the QB runs around and has all sorts of time. Ridley stops his route and uses his quickness to go the other way and get open. That second throw doesn't happen much in the NFL unless Russell Wilson is your QB. It never happens here. If Joe Flacco is throwing the ball you better be able to catch a contested fade in the end zone because you are going to see a ton of them as the #1 WR.





  3. #27

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    honestly there is No WR that I think is a bonafide stud like I did last year. Corey Davis is still my guy from last year, he's going to wreck shop next year
    Last call 2018 James Washington Hype Train





  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    28,089
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    .....

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    You can find that stuff for anyone. Here is John Ross from last year. He's a top 10 pick at WR who was so bad the Bengals were trying to turn him in a CB.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...oss?id=2558010

    BOTTOM LINE Ross is an instant-impact weapon who scored 23 touchdowns in just 112 touches. He should be able to step right in as a kick returner and a slot receiver, but teams with speed at tight end might utilize him outside to create extreme vertical stress on opposing safeties. If his knees check out as healthy, Ross is a likely first-round pick with the rare ability to become a high-volume slot receiver or a lesser-targeted, high-yield deep-ball threat.





  5. #29

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    His production is meaningless for me one way or another. That's a scheme issue. That said, why would anyone on this board think that the Ravens' scheme would be an improvement?

    My issue is that he's an underneath finesse receiver in college. He hasn't shown the ability to make contested catches, consistently beat press coverage off the line, or really take the top off a defense. He's also very old given his experience and (lack of) physical development.

    Crisp route runners are nice, and we certainly need one, but those aren't the guys you take in round one.





  6. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    20,001

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    His production is meaningless for me one way or another. That's a scheme issue. That said, why would anyone on this board think that the Ravens' scheme would be an improvement?

    My issue is that he's an underneath finesse receiver in college. He hasn't shown the ability to make contested catches, consistently beat press coverage off the line, or really take the top off a defense. He's also very old given his experience and frame.

    Crisp route runners are nice, and we certainly need one, but those aren't the guys you take in round one.
    Agreed. If we're looking for a 3rd-4th round ridley, just draft Dante Pettis out of Washington + you get your punt returner.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  7. #31

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Lmao guys if the bar is calvin then yeah he's not that. But if you actually watch Alabama you can see he's a beast stuck on a team who runs every play because their QB can't throw.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Calvin Johnson was just an example. WR's can produce in college even with bad QB play. Most of the highly drafted ones don't have NFL caliber QBs throwing to them in college. How about Demarius Thomas in 2009? Julio Jones in 2010? Allen Robinson in 2013 single handedly got Christian Hackenberg drafted and even initially discussed as a potential 1st round QB.

    What is there to see with Ridley that says "BEAST". He looks ordinary to me and if he didn't play for Alabama he'd be going in the 3rd round.





  8. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    12,281
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    honestly there is No WR that I think is a bonafide stud like I did last year. Corey Davis is still my guy from last year, he's going to wreck shop next year
    Hes got a lot of work to do. I think he and Williams were vastly overrated coming out as was Ross





  9. #33

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    iklio

    Beckham and Brown are both physical players. They love it when defenders try to jam because they have the power to break right through and gain a step. Jarvis Landry is another small guy that bulked up because his game was all about physical play.

    It's not just size. It's the ability to beat coverage with something beyond speed and quickness. Ridley has never had to do that in college. He's had to run good routes. He's had to catch poorly thrown balls. He's had to keep going to get open while his QB takes an hour in the pocket to make a decision. What he hasn't had to do much of is catch balls in traffic or while a single defender is right there with him.

    The National Championship game was the perfect example of that. 2 balls thrown in the end zone to Ridley in the 4th. The first hits him right in the hands over his shoulder with a defender there. He can't hold on. The second, the QB runs around and has all sorts of time. Ridley stops his route and uses his quickness to go the other way and get open. That second throw doesn't happen much in the NFL unless Russell Wilson is your QB. It never happens here. If Joe Flacco is throwing the ball you better be able to catch a contested fade in the end zone because you are going to see a ton of them as the #1 WR.
    I disagree with your first point. Beckham and brown to me are both very finesse, especially beckham. You can't press them because their first step is so explosive. You can't touch them. I'd say what you were explaining for Odell and Antonio is what deandre Hopkins is.

    I can get what you're saying but do we want a guy who just gets the job done, or do they need to get the job done a certain way? Dude is a playmaker and the odds of us getting a Calvin Johnson are slim to none. I watch a lot of Bama and see him consistently open all game against top tier talent just for hurts to miss him. I like Sutton but he doesn't play against good competition that Ridley does.

    Honestly, if we are looking for a WR to just bail joe out all the time we aren't going to find him in this draft.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  10. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    20,001

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Calvin Johnson was just an example. WR's can produce in college even with bad QB play. Most of the highly drafted ones don't have NFL caliber QBs throwing to them in college. How about Demarius Thomas in 2009? Julio Jones in 2010? Allen Robinson in 2013 single handedly got Christian Hackenberg drafted and even initially discussed as a potential 1st round QB.

    What is there to see with Ridley that says "BEAST". He looks ordinary to me and if he didn't play for Alabama he'd be going in the 3rd round.
    Alabama WR's don't have a great track record. Typically being an Alabama WR is viewed negatively because of the type of offense they run.
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

    Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR





  11. #35

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Calvin Johnson was just an example. WR's can produce in college even with bad QB play. Most of the highly drafted ones don't have NFL caliber QBs throwing to them in college. How about Demarius Thomas in 2009? Julio Jones in 2010? Allen Robinson in 2013 single handedly got Christian Hackenberg drafted and even initially discussed as a potential 1st round QB.

    What is there to see with Ridley that says "BEAST". He looks ordinary to me and if he didn't play for Alabama he'd be going in the 3rd round.

    We need a WR who can do two things exceptionally well.
    1. Run crisp routes

    2. Catch the ball

    He does both against top tier competition with a QB that can't throw. He may not just bail joe out like most here want, but he will be open a lot and teams will have to respect his game or he will eat you up. That's what we need.
    I respect your point, we can just agree to disagree.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





  12. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    28,089
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Calvin Ridley

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Alabama WR's don't have a great track record. Typically being an Alabama WR is viewed negatively because of the type of offense they run.
    It sure wasn't a negative for Amari Cooper. Didn't he go #4 overall?





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site