Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Calvin Ridley

Blog Entries

Re: Calvin Ridley

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of. I feel like the Bears are gonna sweep him up.

Minkah, Roquan, Mayfield, Ridley and Ward will all be taken and I'll just be left hoping we trade down.
    Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    If it means Courtland Sutton or the like, and an additional pick or two, I'm just fine with that. Assuming the top guys are gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingSerg View Post
    Right on. That is how I am feeling about it too...
    Got to hope for a partner. Hopefully Mayfield is on the board and you can get a Buffalo type to jump up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    GOTA, you definitely know more than I do on the subject, but I look at Sutton (whom I really like) as a comparison to Anquan Boldin. Does that make sense or am I far off? ... Bc
    That's the style Sutton plays. It's tough to the know if he's going to continue to be able to succeed doing that in the NFL.

A couple of years ago I saw 2 guys who were part of the same WR corp come out the same year. I had seen these guys play together their entire college careers and had strong opinions about both.

I posted right here that Odell Beckham Jr. would be a star. I wrote that he was about as well rounded a receiver as any I had ever seen. He would adapt to to the coverage instead of just trying to beat it. I really hoped he would fall to the Ravens since there were other hotter prospects everyone had listed above him. I think Beckham was the 3rd WR taken but way above where the Ravens picked.

I posted that the other player was going to struggle. He was a smaller guy who played violently. Unless he put on muscle he was going to get crushed trying to do to NFL defenders what he did so well to those in college. I wouldn't even draft him unless it was very late and he wasn't going to fall that far. That player was Jarvis Landry. He did bulk up as a rookie. He did continue to play that same physical style. He was very successful and will make a ton on money this year because of it.

The point is that those of us who do watch college football, and it's not too many on this board, see a guy who might be great in college but then try to envision that style in the NFL. We don't know if they can adjust. The teams don't even know. I saw Albert Kamara last year. I also saw every Saints game this year. No way did I see him running like that. Sean Payton said he never saw any of that on the college tape. It was a total shock when he got him in practice.

I see Sutton as someone who physically wins battles with defenders. On the flip side it seems like he's always in battles with defenders and in college wide receivers usually have a lot more space. Even Simmie Cobbs who I like as a 3rd round guy seems to get open more than Sutton. Sutton also didn't do so well when he finally played some competition. Against TCU he had 1 catch for 1 yard. Cobbs had 11 catches for 150 yards and a TD against Ohio State. Can Sutton be Boldin? It's possible but there is a good chance he can't. That's Boldin himself fell to round 2. In round 2 I would be very happy to draft Sutton. A coin flip pick at a need position is worth the risk there. In round 1, I'm just not sure I'd take that risk. Its early though. I want to see what Sutton does in the next 4 months of offseason stuff.

Blog Entries

If Ridley is gone anyone else see them going defense?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I haven't decided yet. I definitely like Sutton but I'm not convinced that I'd take him at #16 and I doubt he'll fall lower. Sutton just doesn't seem to ever get open. He's great in traffic but in the top half of the first round I'd want more separation from defenders. He also vanished against good competition. Those who like Sutton think he's the next Dez Bryant. Those who hate him think he's the next Laquan Treadwell. Both of those pro comps are actually pretty good. SMU is not a school I watch during the season so I have to check out more youtube before I'm sure where Sutton fits between those extremes. I've seen both cases in what I've watched to date.
    I see Alshon Jeffery personally. I think its a lot of the same as those others. Ive seen some flashes that hell be open and beat his man, but then the ball is so horribly thrown he ends up adjusting into coverage, which hes shown a knack for winning. Alshon had the same tape to me and for that he dropped to the 2nd. I get that point and that is the major concern with him at 16 just like it was Alshon in the first. I think hes green with his route tree, which isnt normally something im a fan of, but I do think he has enough athleticism to think he could improve. Its a gamble at 16, but I think you can say that with a lot of players. THis is a draft thats lacking highend WR talent, but full of a depth. Im not sure we have the luxury to see if they fall becasue theres not many that fits his mold and other teams will be looking to add a player like that as well. If hes a top 30 player, which I think he is, Im taking him at 16 and then I know I have him, because we NEED a playmaker and I just dont see one available in FA thats going to make a difference.

thanks for the take.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 01-19-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

That's the style Sutton plays. It's tough to the know if he's going to continue to be able to succeed doing that in the NFL.

A couple of years ago I saw 2 guys who were part of the same WR corp come out the same year. I had seen these guys play together their entire college careers and had strong opinions about both.

I posted right here that Odell Beckham Jr. would be a star. I wrote that he was about as well rounded a receiver as any I had ever seen. He would adapt to to the coverage instead of just trying to beat it. I really hoped he would fall to the Ravens since there were other hotter prospects everyone had listed above him. I think Beckham was the 3rd WR taken but way above where the Ravens picked.

I posted that the other player was going to struggle. He was a smaller guy who played violently. Unless he put on muscle he was going to get crushed trying to do to NFL defenders what he did so well to those in college. I wouldn't even draft him unless it was very late and he wasn't going to fall that far. That player was Jarvis Landry. He did bulk up as a rookie. He did continue to play that same physical style. He was very successful and will make a ton on money this year because of it.

The point is that those of us who do watch college football, and it's not too many on this board, see a guy who might be great in college but then try to envision that style in the NFL. We don't know if they can adjust. The teams don't even know. I saw Albert Kamara last year. I also saw every Saints game this year. No way did I see him running like that. Sean Payton said he never saw any of that on the college tape. It was a total shock when he got him in practice.

I see Sutton as someone who physically wins battles with defenders. On the flip side it seems like he's always in battles with defenders and in college wide receivers usually have a lot more space. Even Simmie Cobbs who I like as a 3rd round guy seems to get open more than Sutton. Sutton also didn't do so well when he finally played some competition. Against TCU he had 1 catch for 1 yard. Cobbs had 11 catches for 150 yards and a TD against Ohio State. Can Sutton be Boldin? It's possible but there is a good chance he can't. That's Boldin himself fell to round 2. In round 2 I would be very happy to draft Sutton. A coin flip pick at a need position is worth the risk there. In round 1, I'm just not sure I'd take that risk. Its early though. I want to see what Sutton does in the next 4 months of offseason stuff.
    great post.

predicting drive is part of it, and its hard for us watching and not interacting to know that. Sutton wouldnt be the first player that plays like the ball is his, in college, that you think translates and then ends up taking his foot off the throttle. whether his confidence is shook or he feels like he made it.

FWIW, I havent read anything that suggests hes not hungry and wanting to succeed at all costs, but sometimes that info doesnt come out or changes once drafted.

I remember those conversations about OBJ vs Landry. I wanted Landry in the mid rounds becasue I saw that dog in him (and value) that I think I see in Sutton (with more size and athleticism), you were dead right about OBJ though. Always respect your opinion on college players (Wicked, BPR off the top of my head as well).
    -JAB

I want one of the 3 WR at 16

Ridley
    Kirk
    Sutton

I actually think Kirk will have the most immediate impact in the NFL.

Blog Entries

GOTA, thank you for the analysis. Much appreciated.
    I'd like to comment on Kamara though. Obviously the Saints saw something in him to do this :

Adam Schefter‏Verified account (6:45 PM - 28 Apr 2017)
    @AdamSchefter

"Saints traded 7th-round pick and 2018 second-round pick to SF for a third this year. Says how much Saints loved RB Alvin Kamara."

I wish the Ravens could see an offensive 'diamond in the rough' once in a while... Bc

Blog Entries

GOTA, thank you for the analysis. Much appreciated.
    I'd like to comment on Kamara though. Obviously the Saints saw something in him to do this :

Adam Schefter‏Verified account (6:45 PM - 28 Apr 2017)
    @AdamSchefter

"Saints traded 7th-round pick and 2018 second-round pick to SF for a third this year. Says how much Saints loved RB Alvin Kamara."

I wish the Ravens could see an offensive 'diamond in the rough' once in a while... Bc
    They did. Payton said he didnt see it on tape consistently because he split, he did see it though.

“The thing we didn’t know was what kind of runner he was going to be because we saw evidence of it but he was splitting carries there. When he came here and got into training camp with the pads you started seeing his foot speed and his balance. He’s really been a good addition,” Payton said.
    I dont think theres any mistake that the saints saw him as a special talent as a receiver and hes really excelled in that role. It was his ability to create in that capacity and as a returner that showed Kamara had talent. He wasnt bad as a runner, he just lacked opportunities. He averaged 6ypc in college, so its not like he didnt show ability. Seems like his coach was holding him back imo.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...draft-process/
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If Ridley is gone anyone else see them going defense?
    O line or Edge rusher again. Suggs has really slowed down when you watch him closely. Hes always *almost* there but late by like 1-2 steps.

We're going into Next year's offensive line situation much like this past year. 1-2 starters and a bunch of ???
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    O line or Edge rusher again. Suggs has really slowed down when you watch him closely. Hes always *almost* there but late by like 1-2 steps.

We're going into Next year's offensive line situation much like this past year. 1-2 starters and a bunch of ???
    didn't we draft an edge rusher in the 2nd round last year Bowser INSTEAD of WR Ju Ju

we can't keep doing this crap - we HAVE to get a weapon or two on OFFENSE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    didn't we draft an edge rusher in the 2nd round last year Bowser INSTEAD of WR Ju Ju

we can't keep doing this crap - we HAVE to get a weapon or two on OFFENSE
    harv, not only do I agree, but I think Bowser can become a fine OLB if we could just develop him properly. Question is : do we have the coaching staff that can do that?
    ... Bc

harv, not only do I agree, but I think Bowser can become a fine OLB if we could just develop him properly. Question is : do we have the coaching staff that can do that?
    ... Bc
    I'm sure he will make a great long snapper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart