Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Final NFL QB Rankings by PFF Player Grades, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Heres how it goes:

A: "The offense scored 38 points"

B: "Yeah but they couldn't convert that last 4th down to take back the lead"

A: "but the defense, with all the fancy free agents and draft picks, was supposed to hold the lead. The offense is running a squad of late rounders and UDFAs"

B: "the offense should have scored again, they are also to blame for the loss"

A: "but the defense got all the resources. They therefore have higher expectations"

B: "the offense could have converted more third downs"

A:"the rockstar filled defense should have held the lead"

Rinse and repeat.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore...2017/full-cap/

The offense is where the majority of the cap spending was last year. Do I think it was enough no I bemoaned all offseason about our need for help on offense but there are also limits to what you can do when you have QB's making 25-30 million a season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post

The offense is where the majority of the cap spending was last year. Do I think it was enough no I bemoaned all offseason about our need for help on offense but there are also limits to what you can do when you have QB's making 25-30 million a season.
    Yeah the limits were so tough they couldn't afford any top free agents....

Cough Jefferson cough Carr cough cough Williams.

Try again. Blaming the QB contract is really getting old when clearly teams like Pitt and Atl and GB have no problem paying $20M + to a QB and $10-15M for a WR.

Hell GB pays 3 different WRs $10M each.

And yet here you are telling us about how resources are limited because of flacco.

Stop.

Resources are only limited for the offense... because they don't value offense.

They've never paid a WR more than $8M per year. EVER.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Well no, I’d say dominate defenses do that. Good but not great defenses, as I would characterize this one, are 50/50 propositions in that spot. They were in that spot twice in the game, stopped them the first time and failed the second time. This clearly was a defense worthy of the playoffs, but the team as a whole was not.
    With the investments made into the defense the last 4 years good just isn't good enough. You don't dump that amount of resources and only get good. They were good last year yet they were given the first 4 picks in the draft along with the best fa saftey and now the highest paid runstuffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Cool, they were built like that. They were built to fail. You can’t win with that type of offense unless you are the 2000 Ravens which is essentially lightning in a bottle.
    Were you saying this last offseason?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post

HOW DOES EVERY OTHER TEAM WITH A QB NOT ON A ROOKIE CONTRACT DO IT????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Stunning how Flacco has one of the strongest arms and they have speedsters in Wallace and Perriman yet never throw down field - if even to draw a PI. I didn't have to spend a lifetime in football studying X's and O's to know there is something terribly wrong with the Ravens system.
    Every time he did throw it down field it was grossly overthrown or under-thrown. But here's a more interesting outlook on it: what stops a 10 year veteran QB from making an audible call at the line of scrimmage to send his WR down field with a favorable matchup? The system, the calls, the scheme, whatever it is you want to put blame on - why is it that this point is hardly ever brought up? Is Joe not capable of telling Wallace to go deep?

I think the major reason why this is, simply is because Joe isn't that great at diagnosing defenses and capable of carving them up like the top talented QB's of this league can. How great would it to be to see Joe out there taking command of the offense, looking confident before the play, shifting protection left and right, fooling defenses into showing their hand and switching up routes at the last second?

Coaches can't execute the play calls they send in. And at the end of the day that's all it is - a play call. The players have to step up and execute and the $20 million dollar man has to make a $20 million dollar play every once and awhile.

The knee injury has shook Flacco in the pocket. His awareness is worse than ever. His accuracy has taken a nosedive because he's to scared to step up in duress and implement the fundamental footwork he needs to deliver the ball on time. Speaking of accuracy, where's the back shoulder throw? Where's that timing route that he's taken time to rehearse with his wr's over and over again? Or hasn't he? The one thing you consistently hear about with Brady is the time and effort and hard work he's put in to improving his game. How much time do you think Joe Flacco puts into his craft? The disinterest he shows at this point in his career is alarming and I think speaks volumes to why he continuously struggles as a passing Quarterback.

There's a reason we lose the majority of our games when Joe Flacco throws 25+ times a game. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by unbelievable View Post
    But here's a more interesting outlook on it: what stops a 10 year veteran QB from making an audible call at the line of scrimmage to send his WR down field with a favorable matchup? The system, the calls, the scheme, whatever it is you want to put blame on - why is it that this point is hardly ever brought up? Is Joe not capable of telling Wallace to go deep?

I think the major reason why this is, simply is because Joe isn't that great at diagnosing defenses and capable of carving them up like the top talented QB's of this league can. How great would it to be to see Joe out there taking command of the offense, looking confident before the play, shifting protection left and right, fooling defenses into showing their hand and switching up routes at the last second?
    The QB can't just audible into whatever play he feels like. He's given the called play and possibly 1-2 alternatives he can audible to. If the deep throw isn't one of those, he can't just call something random at the line. So if he's given 3 crappy choices, well....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    The QB can't just audible into whatever play he feels like. He's given the called play and possibly 1-2 alternatives he can audible to. If the deep throw isn't one of those, he can't just call something random at the line. So if he's given 3 crappy choices, well....
    Tom Brady himself has even talked about this. People see him making a bunch of adjustments at the line and think that he has free reign to call any play he likes. They are wrong. Brady has said that he is given one primary play and two audibles when he goes to the huddle. He has the freedom to choose the best of those three. He never EVER calls anything other than one of those three plays.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    Well he can in Madden..............

bt gonna jump off a bridge when ravens draft D first 2 picks LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    bt gonna jump off a bridge when ravens draft D first 2 picks LOL
    He ain't the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    HOW DOES EVERY OTHER TEAM WITH A QB NOT ON A ROOKIE CONTRACT DO IT????????????????????

Well they don't have the 2nd highest % of cap committed to the QB position like the Ravens do at 16.78%. They've also been able to draft and develop skill players on the offensive side of the ball.

If you can develop offensive skill players then the money committed to the QB position isn't a real issue. When you can't, you don't have the funds to pay for a top FA WR and you're stuck digging through the bargain bin.

The Ravens got caught with their pants down after the 2012 season. They were $1M apart in contract negotiations before the season and couldn't get the deal done. Joe goes on that magical 4 game run and now all of a sudden he has all the leverage and you're backing up the Brinks truck. At that point there needs to be a change in the way you draft IMO. But Harbaugh is so damn stubborn and wants to win his way. Which we've seen over the past few years that his way isn't working.