Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: WINK is DC

Re: WINK is DC

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    6 years of youth and technique issues...lol.
    jazz is da man

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    For six years The Ravens have got younger on defense with some mix of veterans here and there. I'm not saying Dean Pees is perfect but in the games when The Ravens defense needed to make a stop the most, it was players that failed to get down the simple stuff.Yeah some of Dean Pees playcalling could have been better or was bad but maybe the guy defense was just too cerebral for some of the players.

Maybe Wink can help dumb it down more with his suppose aggressive style but more than once we seen young guys just screw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The bigger issue, as to why it is Pees fault is for this reason. You have seen your team struggle with miscommunication in zone coverage late in games time and time again. ... Pees decides to get cute and naturally, his defense that over-thinks things in the big moments, does it again.
    I agree with all this, and I think it the worst of it was on display in the playoff loss to the Patriots, 2014.

Great teachers simplify things for their students. They make complex things come across cleanly and clearly.

Up thru 2012, we had smart defenses. Obviously a huge part of that is having smart players: no defensive players have higher football IQ than Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Jarrett Johnson, Suggs et al. Our defenders could play chess with Peyton Manning & Tom Brady, and it was competitive. In addition to the smart players, we had good teachers. Rex was super talented at presenting the game and his system to players in such a way that they could utilize their instincts. (Or maybe it was Pettine, or CBass: someone on board knew how to do that.) Rex had some players in decision-making roles, but for some young players he just told them to see ball - get ball.

From 2013 on, it seems that our good players having been fighting their instincts, or getting their instincts drilled out of them. It just seems like the defense is super complicated, and everyone is having to think to get it right. (Some of it is position changes.) The worst moment for me was when the Patriots shifted to that eligible-ineligible formation, and our guys just couldn't figure out how to zone the guys coming out into routes. Yes, it would have been easier with Ray Lewis on the field. Ray & Ed would have said, oh you want to get tricky huh? And rubbed their hands together, told everyone what to do, and then hit the shit out of someone. But it shouldn't require an advanced degree in football to audible to a zone look and adjust.

Dean has been working against his players instincts, and the result has been a complex defense that occasionally does great things, but is vulnerable to brain locks and mistakes. Going to a simpler, more aggressive version of our system will benefit everyone, I think; esp the young fast players.

I think it's a good trade to sacrifice some spots in the statistical rankings, maybe be less consistent down-to-down, in exchange for fewer brain locks and end-of-game defensive lapses.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I agree with all this, and I think it the worst of it was on display in the playoff loss to the Patriots, 2014.

Great teachers simplify things for their students. They make complex things come across cleanly and clearly.

Up thru 2012, we had smart defenses. Obviously a huge part of that is having smart players: no defensive players have higher football IQ than Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Jarrett Johnson, Suggs et al. Our defenders could play chess with Peyton Manning & Tom Brady, and it was competitive. In addition to the smart players, we had good teachers. Rex was super talented at presenting the game and his system to players in such a way that they could utilize their instincts. (Or maybe it was Pettine, or CBass: someone on board knew how to do that.) Rex had some players in decision-making roles, but for some young players he just told them to see ball - get ball.

From 2013 on, it seems that our good players having been fighting their instincts, or getting their instincts drilled out of them. It just seems like the defense is super complicated, and everyone is having to think to get it right. (Some of it is position changes.) The worst moment for me was when the Patriots shifted to that eligible-ineligible formation, and our guys just couldn't figure out how to zone the guys coming out into routes. Yes, it would have been easier with Ray Lewis on the field. Ray & Ed would have said, oh you want to get tricky huh? And rubbed their hands together, told everyone what to do, and then hit the shit out of someone. But it shouldn't require an advanced degree in football to audible to a zone look and adjust.

Dean has been working against his players instincts, and the result has been a complex defense that occasionally does great things, but is vulnerable to brain locks and mistakes. Going to a simpler, more aggressive version of our system will benefit everyone, I think; esp the young fast players.

I think it's a good trade to sacrifice some spots in the statistical rankings, maybe be less consistent down-to-down, in exchange for fewer brain locks and end-of-game defensive lapses.
    Well stated, the bolded, especially so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    This is the thing that gives me hope that Wink could transform the D. If he can keep what Pees had and just make the right calls at the end of games, that would be huge! I just don't want to get my hopes up....
    At this point none of us knows what Wink will do, the thing that gives me hope is that he isn't Dean Pees... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Pretty much. He adjusts when he doesn't need to and he fails to adjust when he does need to. That's the story of his career.
    If Cam Cameron were a defensive Coordinator he would be Dean Pees.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    New Bears’ HC Matt Nagy has successfully recruited DC Vic Fangio, convincing him to stay in Chicago on a three-year contract, per source. Agreeement just reached.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Adam Schefter

Verified account

@AdamSchefter
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    New Bears’ HC Matt Nagy has successfully recruited DC Vic Fangio, convincing him to stay in Chicago on a three-year contract, per source. Agreeement just reached.
    I won't try to predict the future but that team is going to be fun to watch. Especially on offense

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Well it's a start.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Baltimore Ravens

Verified account

@Ravens
    7m7 minutes ago
    More
    New Defensive Coordinator Don "Wink" Martindale will meet with reporters tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.

Blog Entries

man let me get off RSR before i go on a run with this. I ain't touch this subject yet, not going to do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Baltimore Ravens

Verified account

@Ravens
    7m7 minutes ago
    More
    New Defensive Coordinator Don "Wink" Martindale will meet with reporters tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.
    Interesting

Blog Entries

can't even enjoy pees being gone ole f$% boy harbaugh had to ruin that too.