Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Another great cap article from Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Williams is the real albatross. They never should have paid him what they did. I felt that way then and I feel that way now. At least with Jefferson and to a lesser extent Weddle, a new DC will probably do some good. Williams is who he is, and he isn't a 50M player in today's NFL.
    Pray For Us.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I said it in another thread where someone suggested some more restructures to create some more cap room in 2018. We need to stop doing it because it hinders our future flexibility to move on from certain players like Jefferson or B. Williams. They are guys I think we're going to have to move on from before the end of their deals. If we restructure the likes of them (again) then we're stuck with a huge cap figure, unable to cut them because of high dead money, and we surrender leverage to the player by being in a situation where our only way to relieve cap is to extend them and spread out the owed guaranteed money.

I swear our front office operates like a teenager with a credit card. Make the minimum payment in the short term and if you need more money then just open another line of credit. We're approaching the point where the bill is coming due, the credit rating is shit, and we have no more options for more lines of credit.
    Last edited by DeltaRaven; 01-03-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I said it in another thread where someone suggested some more restructures to create some more cap room in 2018. We need to stop doing it because it hinders our future flexibility to move on from certain players like Jefferson or B. Williams. They are guys I think we're going to have to move on from before the end of their deals. If we restructure the likes of them (again) then we're stuck with a huge cap figure, unable to cut them because of high dead money, and we surrender leverage to the player by being in a situation where our only way to relieve cap is to extend them and spread out the owed guaranteed money.

I swear our front office operates like a teenager with a credit card. Make the minimum payment in the short term and if you need more money then just open another line of credit. We're approaching the point where the bill is coming due, the credit rating is shit, and we have no more options for more lines of credit.
    You declare bankruptcy the year after joe leaves then you cut and take all your hits the next year. You go 2-14 you get your high pick try n get your qb and then your set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Didn't they basically do it with Osweiler

His contract was guaranteed. They traded for the player and contract.

What im wondering is can they actually had us cap space for a pick?

I love Ozzie but he has made the mistake of trying to compete year in and year out for too many consecutive years. It started with the kicking of the can down the road on the original Flacco contract. It continued when he gave him an extension when the cap number became too big. All of those cap savings on the Flacco contract were to sign high priced under performing defensive players.

Ozzie needs to bite the bullet and trade his boy CJ moseley and get back 9m of cap space to use on offense now. You paid a fortune for safeties and a NT. Sorry but we can't afford a 9m dollar MLB who cant cover Jesse James. We should also seriously consider trading Suggs this off season as well. He has 1 year left on a reasonable number. He played at a high level. A team competing right now may give you something decent in return. Maybe it is time to take 1 step back to take two steps forward.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    BWill , Jefferson, Weddle = 28 million per year

Damn. That's ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Just random... but can you trade cap space. Like say the browns gift us 20mil over for the next 2 years and we give them a pick?
    From what I’ve read ...no. Teams can’t trade cap room. Mike Florio actually has an article back in 2013 on Bleacher Report about that very idea. If allowed to do that it would basically make the cap null and void. There would always be teams that were way under and way over. Big market teams would just buy more space from the lower market teams. Then you’d have Baseball.
    Great idea though.

So I guess we should play moneyball like the Browns? Shed all the big contracts and sign all the cheap FA's?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    From what I’ve read ...no. Teams can’t trade cap room. Mike Florio actually has an article back in 2013 on Bleacher Report about that very idea. If allowed to do that it would basically make the cap null and void. There would always be teams that were way under and way over. Big market teams would just buy more space from the lower market teams. Then you’d have Baseball.
    Great idea though.

If you limit the trading to draft picks, which are a limited commodity, then big market/small market wouldn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    So I guess we should play moneyball like the Browns? Shed all the big contracts and sign all the cheap FA's?
    No. We need to just take our lumps with existing contracts and stop restructuring them. Once we're out of the weeds we can start structuring new FA contracts properly instead of continuing the current vicious cycle, which is a result of wanting to "be competitive year in and year out" that has only led to mediocrity.

Every year McFarland predicts how horrible we are with the cap and every year Ozzie and company prove it's a non-issue and make it work.

So, I don't believe the cap situation is as bad as some are proclaiming. Definitely don't think it's going to handicap us from making the moves that need to be made. I'm predicting trades on the offensive side of the ball which will help in that regard some.

Trade Joe post june 1. Get a few draft picks. Save $12 mil against the cap this year and $8 mill next year. Draft a rookie QB and use the money saved to get a proven WR. Tell me that wouldn't be the better investment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I'd rather play moneyball light the Saints. They got rid of a bunch of older players and replaced them with an amazing rookie class and cheap vets. The Steelers have been using that model for years. Timmons was a great Steeler but at 30 they got rid of him. Mike Wallace wanted crazy money....see ya', we'll find a replacement in the draft and pay cheap guys like DHB to take up the slack. That's the way to handle a tight cap

The Browns were sitting on about $50 million in cap space. They go into next year with $109 million in cap space according to Over the Cap! Moneyball for them was about using analytics to make decisions. It's wasn't about being forced to save money like the Oakland A's. They've never been close to the cap like us or the Saints or the Steelers. Don't confuse their version of moneyball with anything remotely resembling what any real NFL organization would do.