Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Raven Rumor Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I was told early in December that these are the top two choices in order. If Pagano wants the job it's his.

I'm hearing there's tension at The Castle. As you could probably guess Harbs is about promoting from within. But Wink is hard to sell to disgruntled fans.

During one of our interviews at The Original Greene Turtle in OCMD, I asked Steve Bisciotti about influencing coordinators and he said, "I would be the worst owner in the league if I dictated to my head coach who his coordinators should be."

That of course was before 60% filled stadiums during very meaningful football games.
    I do know this...

The Ravens cap situation is NOT good. Brian McFarland believes that it is arguably the worst since 2002. Chalk that up to too many unproductive drafts and regular contract restructuring.

Details at the link below.

[LINK]
    Isn’t this becoming the common theme at the end of every year with Harbs and the higher ups? Harbs wants to promote within but there is higher ups that don’t agree.
    At what point is control taken away from this guy completely if they can’t trust his decisions on hiring guys?
    He’s already taken the attitude and edge away from this team because he doesn’t want anyone else with a voice in the locker room.
    Is Biscotti that in love with this asshole that he can’t fix the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
    To be be honest, I think the offense overachieved in the 2nd half of this past season. I mean the personnel on Offense was at very best mediocre.

The Defense shit the bed. How many 3rd and longs did they give up? Pierce, Williams & Henry were so worn down by week 15 that I'm surprised they weren't being shuffled on and off the field by wheelbarrows when they actually did get subbed for. Harbaugh's unwillingness to go 6 deep on the dline had a lot to do with the collapse.
    I guess the question is did the scheme make the personnel overacheive? At the end of the day that's what you want.

IMO the rush offense utilized scheme to utilize its players well (Hurst was a great pulling guard and Howard is a mauler) that would conclude with the scheme making the personnel better.

What happened in the passing game though? IMO the design in the second half of the season, which was noticably more vertical, was a big improvement and put guys in a position to succeed, mostly the deep bombs to Wallace come to mind.

Still wasn't perfect, but it wasn't horrific. I think if you can actually add some pass catchers who can get separation and make guys miss and it could be much better next year.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It isn't a rumor, but in no way should MM or the offensive staff be "safe".

They were a bottom feeder offense this year. Their total passing offense was 27th, I believe. That's simply not good enough with a franchise QB. Can't blame the OL entirely because they played really well. Can't blame a lack of running game because Alex Collins and Buck Allen. Can't blame injuries too much because they had their top WR's healthy most of the season.

I dont care what Joe says, Marty shouldn't be safe.

If any offensive coaches are safe, it should be Greg Roman, Joe D'Alessandris, and Tom Hammock. In fact, if Harbaugh wanted to do the right thing for the team, he'd fire Marty and promote Greg Roman to OC.
    At what point does talent enter into it though? It's all well and good to fire the OC (and I'm not married to MM in any way.) But seriously -- in that Bengal game can you name me one offensive player besides Ronnie Stanley who would be starting for Pittsburgh? Our #1 WR (Wallace) would be lucky to see the field occasionally in 4-wide packages if he was a Steeler. Our line apart from Jensen and Stanley would not even be good enough to be backups on the Steelers. None of our TEs would be game-day actives for Pittsburgh.

The easiest thing to do is to fire the coach. But then you are starting all over AGAIN with a new OC. If Kubiak or Roman gets the gig, I'd be fine with it, because it is not a completely new system.

But consider this: a great many people on this board believe that one of Joe's shortcomings is his football IQ. Given that even really good QBs have down seasons when they change coordinators, how do you suppose it affects Joe to have a new offensive system to learn every freaking year?

The only coach that should go based solely on results is Bobby Engram. And I like Bobby Engram. But when all of your receivers consistently drop balls that hit them in the hands, that's a firable offense for a WR coach.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Bisciotti has said for years that he admires the Steelers organization and wants to model his on theirs. These teams don't fire head coaches off of winning seasons. If we ended up like the Giants this year then everyone would be out. If we ended up like the Bengals then it would be a real chance for change. None of that happened. Tie goes to the runner. A mediocre record will give the coach with a good track record another chance.
    The other thing worth thinking about is, I wonder what the Ravens brass talked about in the 2015-16 offseason. We were coming off of 5-11. We speculated back then that they discussed that there were a lot of problems with the roster, and it would be a 2-year rebuild.

What if, back then they discussed a 3-year rebuild?

2016 was the first year, this season was the second year. It makes sense when you look at the drafts. We brought in a shit-ton of players in 2016, which is something you do when you are rebuilding. In 2017 we brought in a shutdown corner + a lot of "infrastructure" guys (linebackers and guards and a core spec-teamer), which is also a core rebuild kind of draft.

If they discussed a 3-year rebuild at the '15-16 meeting, then competing for a playoff spot this season was a little ahead-of-schedule. This upcoming draft would deliver the offensive playmaker cherries on top, and NEXT season's team would be the contender. And Harbaugh isn't on the hot seat at all, because everything seems to be proceeding on schedule.

Am I crazy? Or is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTTRACK View Post
    I'd like to know more about the rumor that Harbaugh was "distracted" the week leading up to the Bengals game
    What rumor? "Distracted" by what?

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I was told early in December that these are the top two choices in order. If Pagano wants the job it's his.

I'm hearing there's tension at The Castle. As you could probably guess Harbs is about promoting from within. But Wink is hard to sell to disgruntled fans.

During one of our interviews at The Original Greene Turtle in OCMD, I asked Steve Bisciotti about influencing coordinators and he said, "I would be the worst owner in the league if I dictated to my head coach who his coordinators should be."

That of course was before 60% filled stadiums during very meaningful football games.
    I do know this...

The Ravens cap situation is NOT good. Brian McFarland believes that it is arguably the worst since 2002. Chalk that up to too many unproductive drafts and regular contract restructuring.

Details at the link below.

[LINK]
    This is extremely concerning.

Makes you wonder if a full fledged rebuild is possible.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Former Ravens outside linebacker Jarrett Johnson stated on the Glenn Clark show that he thought " if fans were to sit in with an opposing defensive coordinator and watch our offense, they would be shocked by what Marty's been able to create [with this personnel]".
    Thanks!

Yeah, that's how it seems. Add personnel to this play-calling, and we could be dangerous offensively.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    School is back in session so the guys starting those threads are busy with algebra homework and video games.

It's the fans who have been on these boards for years who know how this organization works that I don't get. Bisciotti has said for years that he admires the Steelers organization and wants to model his on theirs. These teams don't fire head coaches off of winning seasons. If we ended up like the Giants this year then everyone would be out. If we ended up like the Bengals then it would be a real chance for change. None of that happened. Tie goes to the runner. A mediocre record will give the coach with a good track record another chance. That's just reality for the Ravens.
    Agreed. The thing is there are 3 plays that would have made us 12-4. (Weddle whiffing on the tackle vs Chicago, AB's long catch late in Pitt andof course, 4th and 12). So out of 2000 or so plays in a season, 3 made the difference between 9-7 and 12-4.

that's an oversimplification, but you get the idea. How far off is this team, really? People want to blow things up just to see what's behind door number 2, without having a clue what awaits. Change for the sake of change. As it is we're changing at DC and that might be enough. I thought there were too many breakdowns in the secondary, so we could look at the coaching there and the coaching at WR.

Other than finding a Flacco-Whisperer to stop Joe from throwing off his back foot or lazily sidearming to his second read instead of re-setting his feet (or buying a shock collar at Petco and having a coach hit the button everytime he does it) there aren't a lot of changes we really need IMHO. Team just didn't execute in some key moments. Otherwise we could have had a shot to at least have a serious run at making the AFCCG. That ain't bad. This team never looked like a SB contender, but it certainly doesn't look doomed either. Not even close.

If that is the case then this team should have began the rebuild last year, the cap purge should have been 2016. Here i though 2018 our cap situation was improving. This season they loaded up on defense and for what??? just to cut half the roster this year????

Yes, there need to be some heads chopped from the front office starting with who manages our salary cap.

Looks like Ryan Jensen will be an after thought.

What happened in the passing game though? IMO the design in the second half of the season, which was noticably more vertical, was a big improvement
    I think they decided that Joe was finally healthy and moving better, so they stopped "protecting" him so much and put in longer routes and more guys in the pattern.

I think they were being prudently conservative in the first half of the season, because Flacco's back was brittle and he wasn't moving well. And maybe they kept up the "conservatism" 2 or 3 weeks longer than was strictly necessary – which is smart. Then on the bye week they all became fully convinced that Joe was fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Thanks!

Yeah, that's how it seems. Add personnel to this play-calling, and we could be dangerous offensively.
    Marty turned that offense around in the second half. Big credit to him. Whoever we have in the FO that decides which WRs and TEs we draft should be kicked out of the room, and just let Marty pick who he thinks will fit his system. The man knows what he's doing. The Maclin signing made all the sense in the world because he'd had success in that offense before. I would expect more signings to fit his offense this offseason, at least i would hope, rather than letting the FO pick whatever "BPA" regardless of whether we can use him or not.