Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If you were a hot offensive-minded coaching candidate, would you want to coach this team?

I've mentioned this in other posts, but if the Ravens were to move on from Harbs and look for an offensive minded coach, would the Ravens be an attractive landing spot? Sure the organization has had strong leadership, sustained success, and a good fan base. But do they really have the chance to get a lot better on offense?

Fact is Joe gets paid Aaron Rodgers money, and he doesn't carry the offense like Aaron Rodgers does. I get that big QB contracts are a necessary evil in this day's NFL, but those contracts limit a team's ability to invest elsewhere. Like every team, the Ravens are going to hit on some free agents and draft picks and not on others. The great QBs can cover up a lot of deficiencies elsewhere, and therefore, don't kill their teams by commanding so much of the cap: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, etc. But when your QB makes Brees' money and doesn't deliver Brees' numbers week in and week out, the whole team suffers.

I like Flacco, and he's been great in the playoffs. Whether he can ever be 2012 playoff Flacco again, who knows? He hasn't been the same since the injury, but he was better down the stretch this year. But he's not carrying the offense from week to week like a top QB. Because of that, the team can't even get into the playoffs. Sure the D let the team down on the last play Sunday. But they were also on the field for 50+ snaps IN THE FIRST HALF because the offense was a joke. I understand the Ravens don't have offensive playmakers. But they don't have cap space. Flacco takes up all that space. And he sucked most of the year. Then the other part of the year he was fine. Not great or even good; he was fine. You can win with fine. It's been done. But it's hard as hell to win with fine when you are paying fine like world-class. That severely limits your flexibility.

There are lots of changes the Ravens can make to try and get better in the off-season. But the biggest investment they've made is in Flacco. And he's not playing like a $25M man. If you were an offensive coach on the rise, would you jump at the challenge of trying to turn around an offense helmed by a 10-year veteran whose best quality is that he doesn't get frazzled in the playoffs? That's great if you can get to the playoffs. But as we've seen over the past several years, the Ravens haven't been able to surround Flacco with enough guys that can carry Flacco to the playoffs so he can do his thing. Yeah the FO hasn't hit on all their draft picks and signings. But no FO does. Guys are going to get injured. Such is life. Problem with the Ravens is there is no margin for error because Flacco's contract is such an albatross...

But whatever. Flacco World Order and all...

Re: If you were a hot offensive-minded coaching candidate, would you want to coach this team?

As OC? Absolutely!

Expectations are so low going in that you can't look bad. Offense does badly, you get canned, but everyone will say: "What did you expect? He had nothing to work with." Offense does well, you go for a HC position, and everyone will say: "He made Joe Flacco look good! *Boggle*"

By no means a long-term gig, one way or the other, but, factoring in the exit strategy, it's a no-lose situation.

On the other hand, that isn't good for continuity.

BS

Blog Entries

Re: If you were a hot offensive-minded coaching candidate, would you want to coach this team?

Yes. Joe Flacco is proven. If you are an offensive minded Head Coach, you are going to look at this team and ask:

Where is the QB Coach?
    Why is there a Run Game coordinator of a completely different philosophy from the OC?
    Where are the WRs?
    Where are the TEs?
    Where is the Offensive Line depth?

Then, you'll review tape and see that Flacco stills makes the clutch throws at the end of the game. Even without Flacco, you're going to pound the desk for fifty different things on the offense, from coaching to talent.

Now, if Ozzie can get with that or DeCosta takes over and he can get with that, then yes, you want to come here. Otherwise, you may only want to come here, because there are only 32 Head Coaching spots and you want one of them.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Brian Billick left a team with Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Robert Smith, and Randall Cunningham to come to Baltimore with Scott Mitchell, Jermaine Lewis, Justin Armour, and Jay Graham.

I think the answer is: does the candidate want to score the most points, or does he want to win the most games. Billick turned to the dark side and won games. If you were to ask Billick whether he would want Scott Mitchell or Joe Flacco (contract and all), I'm sure he would say "I'll take the good QB and build a winning team with or around him. No wandering the QB desert for me."

Though this team's offense was horrible in the first half, the team was one defensive stop away from a 10 win season and a playoff appearance. The team has a good QB; a good LT; and a good RB. They need a playmaking TE and WR, or creative scheme/playcalling that shakes free mediocre TEs and WRs just often enough to score just enough to win.

I think an OC takes the job...depending on how willing he is to let someone else shop for the groceries.

There is a lot to be said for a QB that is almost always healthy and pretty consistent in the big picture. We also offer a promising tailback and, if he can stay healthy, a really nice looking left tackle. I think if his input were welcomed as far as talent acquisition, it could be a pretty good job.
    Also, I don't know how the hell we did it, but we only scored 11 points fewer than Pittsburgh.

Blog Entries

What exactly was Brees record the last few years before having him rely on running the ball a lot more? Could have sworn he was 7-9 a few years in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    What exactly was Brees record the last few years before having him rely on running the ball a lot more? Could have sworn he was 7-9 a few years in a row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Their defense was one of the worst in the NFL which is why they drafted Lattimore whos having a stellar season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauler2066 View Post
    There is a lot to be said for a QB that is almost always healthy and pretty consistent in the big picture. We also offer a promising tailback and, if he can stay healthy, a really nice looking left tackle. I think if his input were welcomed as far as talent acquisition, it could be a pretty good job.
    Also, I don't know how the hell we did it, but we only scored 11 points fewer than Pittsburgh.
    #1 Defense in turnovers and Justin Tucker that's how.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yes. Joe Flacco is proven. If you are an offensive minded Head Coach, you are going to look at this team and ask:

Why is there a Run Game coordinator of a completely different philosophy from the OC?

I don't get why this even bought up when it seems like Marty Morhinweg and Greg Roman worked quite well together last year. Greg Roman was obviously a pretty good hire by John Harbaugh and hopefully he's apart of The Ravens coaching staff for many years to come or atleast when next season starts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    I don't get why this even bought up when it seems like Marty Morhinweg and Greg Roman worked quite well together last year. Greg Roman was obviously a pretty good hire by John Harbaugh and hopefully he's apart of The Ravens coaching staff for many years to come or atleast when next season starts.
    They exceeded a very low bar.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

Where is the QB Coach?
    Where are the WRs?
    Where are the TEs?
    Where is the Offensive Line depth?

Then, you'll review tape and see that Flacco stills makes the clutch throws at the end of the game. Even without Flacco, you're going to pound the desk for fifty different things on the offense, from coaching to talent.

Now, if Ozzie can get with that or DeCosta takes over and he can get with that, then yes, you want to come here. Otherwise, you may only want to come here, because there are only 32 Head Coaching spots and you want one of them.
    flacco is proven what? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post
    Expectations are so low going in that you can't look bad. Offense does badly, you get canned, but everyone will say: "What did you expect? He had nothing to work with." Offense does well, you go for a HC position, and everyone will say: "He made Joe Flacco look good! *Boggle*"
    Expectations are so low that everyone here wanted MM fired almost immediately. The offense has finally started doing well in the last third of the season and no one cares, everyone still wants him fired anyway.