Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ravens Fan Commitment

I wanted to prove whether Ravens fans are comitted to the team based on hard data and I figure people are most honest with their money. I can't use ticket sales because of the PSL paradigm however I figure I can use Marketplace PSL sales as an indicator. The price and quantity of sales should be a fairly reliable indicator of fan interest. Thankfully enough the PSL marketplace publishes PSL sales data so I made the chart attached.

During 2009 there was sharp drop off but I don't know if that was economy , record, or both. After that the price of the PSL's jumps around a bit but rises significantly in 2012 with the Superbowl. Since then it has declined with every season where we missed the playoffs. An interesting part of this data is that the number of PSL's sold over the last two years has spiked dramatically again indicating waning interest in going to a game.

Any conclusion based on this data is suspect because without talking with sellers the real root cause can't be known, however, it is interesting that the data does correlate with success of the team (excepting 2009) supporting the idea that Ravens fans are fickle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MyTurn; 01-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Re: Ravens Fan Commitment

Was ready to dismiss this as a either lame cheerleading or trolling. The low post count did little to dispel my apprehension.

But this post had data, a chart, and a decent hypothesis just waiting to be tested.

Did you get your data from here? If not, where?

Good work, and thanks!

BS

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post
    Was ready to dismiss this as a either lame cheerleading or trolling. The low post count did little to dispel my apprehension.

But this post had data, a chart, and a decent hypothesis just waiting to be tested.

Did you get your data from here? If not, where?

Good work, and thanks!

BS
    Thanks for the Kudos! Yes, that is where the data came from. It's actually a pretty good source considering how damning the information could be for sellers of PSL's.

PSL’s have tanked this year. I would love to sell mine for a loss or at least hope to sell the tickets for face value next year. The Ravens are so boring to watch and the food at the stadium is so crappy it is hard to want to go to a game. I use to love a good defensive game but instead I get to watch an inept first half offense only to be followed by a gassed 2nd half defense that can’t cover a no name tight end on 4th and 12.

I paid $5000 for my two PSLs in Section 525. Right now you can buy two PSLs in Section 525 including all transfer fees to the Ravens for $1800, $2750, $2800, $3000 (x3), $4000 (x3), $5400, or $5556 (mine). I basically have mine listed for the $5K I paid, and the $556 is the transfer fee due to the Ravens.

So you tell me, when PSLs are selling in my section for less less than 1/3rd of what I paid for them, why the hell shouldn't I be pissed off about that? Nevermind the two games I had to eat this year because they were unsellable (vs Texans and Colts). So my PSLs are worth 1/3rd of what I paid, and I'm losing money every year on games I can't or don't want to go to, when in years past I could sell them for a profit, or at least for face value.

Disgruntled? You bet your ass I am. At this point I'm hoping to sell my entire season package next season for what I pay for it, and hopefully they'll put together a good season or two and I'll be able to sell my PSLs for what I paid or close to it.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I paid $5000 for my two PSLs in Section 525. .
    I don't know how PSLs work, but I assume its 5k every year? Is there any perks being a PSL owner?

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I don't know how PSLs work, but I assume its 5k every year? Is there any perks being a PSL owner?
    No...one time fee that buys you the ability to buy the season tickets for those specific seats every year.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    No...one time fee that buys you the ability to buy the season tickets for those specific seats every year.
    That doesnt seem bad to me then, at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    That doesnt seem bad to me then, at all.

Depends on how you want to look at it I suppose.
    Having to kick out a big fee to have the right to buy the tickets is kind of bullshit but it's pretty much how most stadiums operate now, at least the newer ones built in the modern era I believe.
    Not sure if all of them do it though.
    The problem for some (like me right now) is that if you don't buy the season tickets every year you forfeit your seats and PSLs and no longer own the right to those seats as well as forfeiting the $$ you kicked out for the PSLs to begin with.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Depends on how you want to look at it I suppose.
    Having to kick out a big fee to have the right to buy the tickets is kind of bullshit but it's pretty much how most stadiums operate now, at least the newer ones built in the modern era I believe.
    Not sure if all of them do it though.
    The problem for some (like me right now) is that if you don't buy the season tickets every year you forfeit your seats and PSLs and no longer own the right to those seats as well as forfeiting the $$ you kicked out for the PSLs to begin with.
    I mean I don't see an issue paying the fee to have the rights to buy the season tickets, kind of makes sense to me. But also, I obviously don't own psls so it's not really my place, was just curious

“I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Without the PSLs those fans you saw on TV dressed as seat backs would be seats that weren't paid for at all.
    Owners and the league would actually be losing money off the gate receipts.
    This is why people say that the owners don't care if the seats are full or not because the seats are paid for.
    It's certainly a bad look that I'm sure owners don't like but it's not hitting them in the wallet.
    Somebody forfeits their PSLs they then belong to the team again to resell so in effect the team makes money of the PSL sale multiple times if they sell it again.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Without the PSLs those fans you saw on TV dressed as seat backs would be seats that weren't paid for at all.
    Owners and the league would actually be losing money off the gate receipts.
    This is why people say that the owners don't care if the seats are full or not because the seats are paid for.
    It's certainly a bad look that I'm sure owners don't like but it's not hitting them in the wallet.
    Somebody forfeits their PSLs they then belong to the team again to resell so in effect the team makes money of the PSL sale multiple times if they sell it again.
    Ok, that explains it better. Is there anything good about being a PSL owner? I do understand this is a business for owners but being a PSL owner should have some massive perks in my mind.

Side-note/Wishful thinking- I know this is a business, but for almost all owners the income from owning a NFL franchise is not how they got rich, they were already extremely rich, hence buying a NFL team. So giving PSL owners certain perks to make it worth it, lowering concession stands to decent prices, etc...shouldn't be something not happening. But money rules everything sadly. How much money is enough? That's another thread...