Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: 2 more years of Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I see Flacco's contract as not committing to him past 2018 when he is 34.
    I think you mean 2019.

I’m ok with drafting a QB this year in the later rounds. No way I would waste a top round pick on a QB who will have to sit for at least 2 years. For one I personally don’t there’s a QB in the this years crop worth spending a 1st round pick on. Besides there are more pressing issues that need to be addressed in this draft.

Then if you do draft a QB in the later rounds he will more then likely end up on the the PS, and not get the attention he needs to develop. The FO is going to have to make a decision on mallet. Is he, or is he not a capable backup for the interim? If not then they need to hit the FA wire in the off-season.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Which is why they need a Flacco exit strategy pretty soon. They don't have to keep paying him like an....dare I say it.....elite quarterback forever.
    He's not paid like an elite qb he's paid like a starting qb not on a rookie contract why is it so hard for people to get. Pretty much every Starting Qb not on a rookie deal makes 20+ and it's going up. See Carr , Stafford and next will be Cousins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    Joe needs a good QB coach, two WRs and a dynamic TE. That's a bit of a tall order with current cap space unless we have a historically good draft. If I were Ozzie, I'd sit Joe down and ask if he wants to make a couple legitimate runs at the SB or does he want to be stuck in a rebuilding situation. He can either take a pay cut (not a restructure, a pay cut) to allow signing Jensen and some of the needs listed above, or its time for a cap purge, 3 year rebuilding plan. If we rebuild, Joe gets stuck with whatever we've got next year while we dump salary and get younger, then you take the best QB you can find in the draft after next season.
    Why would he take a pay cut so they can sign more trash heap receivers or get two new safeties that they can make the highest paid tandem in the league. Or they can make another Dlineman the highest paid in the league. Would you take a pay cut at your job?

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    He's not paid like an elite qb he's paid like a starting qb not on a rookie contract why is it so hard for people to get. Pretty much every Starting Qb not on a rookie deal makes 20+ and it's going up. See Carr , Stafford and next will be Cousins

For the record, there are 15 QB's who average 20+M per year.

The annoyance with Flacco is his poorly constructed contract that pushed money down the road for a couple years of cap relief early in the contract. The Ravens didn't profit off those cheap years due to poor drafting and a failure to replace his #1 WR after 2012.

I'd be more mad at Ozzie than Joe about JOe's contract.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

It's not that hard to get. If it's all the same, the Ravens pay the same for Flacco as what other teams with better quarterbacks pay theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    It's not that hard to get. If it's all the same, the Ravens pay the same for Flacco as what other teams with better quarterbacks pay theirs.
    By this logic you think Cousins, Carr , Stanford , Smith , Palmer , Luck , Rivers and even Dalton and Glennon are better than Joe?? Really?? Exactly how many Super bowl wins do they have? AFC Championships? You know ...stats that matter to fans that don’t play Fantasy Football

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I see Flacco's contract as not committing to him past 2018 when he is 34.
    Only a fan whose job was not on the line would eat 16m of dead money to release the starting QB that won the franchise a SB. Another reason why fans are not GMs.

Blog Entries

1.) The only difference between Flacco's contract and other notable QB contracts is that the Ravens received their product before they finalized the purchase. Just about all of the other QB contracts out there, save a few, are teams paying their QBs in the hope that they will eventually do what Joe Flacco has already done.

2.) Okay, so you draft a QB this year and let him sit for two years. What have you done with the other elements of the offensive coaching and talent to put him into a position to succeed that is a significant enough improvement over the mistakes you made with Joe Flacco?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Why would he take a pay cut so they can sign more trash heap receivers or get two new safeties that they can make the highest paid tandem in the league. Or they can make another Dlineman the highest paid in the league. Would you take a pay cut at your job?

You mean like from 20 mil to like 10 mil? Yep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I was making that kind of money and had a clearly laid out plan to sign some real players and not the garbage we've had, then yes, I'd certainly consider it. I'm not saying he'd just say sure, let's do it, but if given the option and an agreed to amount in the event that the best WR on the market agrees to a deal and the team needs that cash to make it happen, then yeah. Basically, a deal like" Joe, if we can sign the best WR on the market (which Joe agrees is who he wants) will you agree to cut $4M or $5M or whatever they decide from your salary each year for the next 2 years or whatever". So not a blanket pay cut but given very specific circumstances, I think he might do it. Especially if the alternative is we go into a true rebuild cycle and we're going to suck for the next couple years and Joe, you're probably going to take a beating behind a weak OL while throwing to practice squad WR during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Only a fan whose job was not on the line would eat 16m of dead money to release the starting QB that won the franchise a SB. Another reason why fans are not GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    I have no idea why you are posting Anquan Boldin highlights. Must have gotten the threads confused.