Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ozzie/DeCosta Special Appreciation Thread

In recent years, I’ve been somewhat critical of Ozzie’s obsession with defense at the expense of the offense, but in the wake of the Jimmy Smith season ending injury, I have to give him a “Big Ups” for proactively signing Carr and drafting Marlon Humphrey so that the secondary won’t fall to pieces after one critical injury.

We all remember promising seasons (‘14, ‘16) get derailed due to a Jimmy Smith injury. I like the fact that he bolstered the secondary with basically guy a who can legitimately be number corner on a team (Carr) and a guy has the potential to be a number one corner (Humphrey). I’m not as worried as I was last year when Smith went out against NE...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ozzie/DeCosta Special Appreciation Thread

Too many fuck ups in recent drafts to give them props.

Nope

They have sustained a ton of injuries and are in the drivers seat for a playoff spot... BUNCH OF NO GOOD BUMS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    Too many fuck ups in recent drafts to give them props.
    Not the last two. The last two drafts/UDFA lists look pretty good right now.

1 Marlon Humphrey
    1 Ronnie Stanley
    2 Tyus Bowser
    2 Kamalei Correa
    3 Bronson Kaufusi
    3 Tim Williams
    3 Chris Wormley
    4 Willie Henry
    4 Chris Moore
    5 Jermaine Eluemanor
    5 Matt Judon
    6 Maurice Canady
    6 Chuck Clark
    F Jaylen Hill
    F Patrick Onwuasor
    F Michael Pierce
    F Patrick Ricard
    F Matt Skura

coming back next year
    4 Kenneth Dixon
    4 Alex Lewis
    4 Nico Siragusa (maybe)
    4 Tavon Young
    F Bam Bradley
    F Tim White

gone
    6 Keenan Reynolds

The only guy that didn't make the team in year two is Keenan Reynolds. London Eluemanor is still early in his development. Wormley, Bowser and Williams are playing the numbers game. The only two guys that look like potential busts right now are Correa and Kaufusi.

Blog Entries

People wont admit it... but they have assembled a good team the last two years. They have a lit of key contributors playing on their rookie deals.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    People wont admit it... but they have assembled a good team the last two years. They have a lit of key contributors playing on their rookie deals.
    I agree Leach but the only prob is they went overly heavy on the Defense. With Oz history of finding Gold in the late rounds and even UDFA , why waste high picks on defense? Guys like Humphrey you have to grab early ..that I get , but not all the other dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I agree Leach but the only prob is they went overly heavy on the Defense. With Oz history of finding Gold in the late rounds and even UDFA , why waste high picks on defense? Guys like Humphrey you have to grab early ..that I get , but not all the other dudes.

Well, they used high draft picks on offense before and we got Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams, and Crockett Gilmore.

It's 2013-2015 that is costing this team right now, particularly the following busts:

1 Matt Elam
    1 Breshad Perriman
    2 Arthur Brown
    2 Maxx Williams
    3 Terrance Brooks
    3 Crockett Gilmore

...and to a lesser extent

2 Timmy Jernigan - bad fit, doing well in Philly
    4 John Simon - cut too early
    4 Lorenzo Taliaferro - one good year
    4 Brent Urban - can't stay healthy
    4 Tray Walker - passed away

Lack of play makers on this roster is still alarming to me

i had too many tallboys i kept thinking WNC and usm were the same poster.
    i need to go to sleep LOL
    gnite fellas. enjoy the win!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Lack of play makers on this roster is still alarming to me
    True but when have we ever had play makers?

Ray Rice, Jamal Lewis and Todd Heap are basically the only elite play makers at their positions we have ever had on the roster. Boldin and Mason were great but weren't elite top 5 recievers while they were here same for SSr, Pitta etc.

We definitely prefer having elite players along the OL or on defense. Many are divided on that topic but you can't argue with the success with that formula. It has definitely been our down fall in other seasons though.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    True but when have we ever had play makers?

Ray Rice, Jamal Lewis and Todd Heap are basically the only elite play makers at their positions we have ever had on the roster. Boldin and Mason were great but weren't elite top 5 recievers while they were here same for SSr, Pitta etc.

We definitely prefer having elite players along the OL or on defense. Many are divided on that topic but you can't argue with the success with that formula. It has definitely been our down fall in other seasons though.
    I think you have to throw Torrey and Jacoby in there as well. I have no issue building an elite OL as that can improve both your run game and the passing game, obviously. I never cared about us having a top 5 WR because I don't think you need one, but I will continue to say we need a Rice clone. Rice offered so much in the passing game, it was like having an extra player on the field, I like Collins but I cant get past the fact that he offers nothing in the passing game