Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 212223

Re: Are you Impressed with the Defense?

What I like about this defense is how it's been playing with 1 arm tied behind its back and it's still outstanding. Let's review:

1. It's young as hell, particularly in the front 7. Much younger than any previous great Ravens defense. Development is occurring each game with players like Henry, Judon, Canady, Smith, Williams, and Humphrey.
    2. They have been playing a number of snaps with less talented players, but now have most of the best in place. Humphrey has the LCB job over Carr. Brandon is a fine #3 corner, but Humphrey is substantially better. Canady won't be in the slot long term, but he's a fresh set of legs this season. Webb can play some on the back end. Smith is being used with some effect on the inside for passing downs. Willie Henry is taking more than the snaps he should as the team's best interior pass rusher, but they will find a way to keep him fresh. Onwuasor now has the job from Correa which is an upgrade at the team's weakest defensive position.
    3. There is still significant depth in case of injury on the DL (Wormley), CB (Carr, Hill), S (Webb, Clark), and OLB (Williams, Bowser). Look around the league and tell me what other team has the luxury of such depth at this point. The only spot without depth significantly above the replacement level is ILB.
    4. Usage improved after the bye for Jefferson and Weddle. I believe their roles will be more closely defined going forward.
    5. The team has had success with minimal deception in the pass rush, but there is a whole unused portion of the playbook available to be used when needed.
    6. Pees has finally embraced the dime (22.0% this season up from 2.7% in his first 5 seasons) and it's paying huge dividends. The Ravens are among the top teams on 3rd down.

This is the #1 defense in the entire NFL in DVOA and I think we'll see plenty of evidence that's not a fluke over the remainder of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    What I like about this defense is how it's been playing with 1 arm tied behind its back and it's still outstanding. Let's review:

1. It's young as hell, particularly in the front 7. Much younger than any previous great Ravens defense. Development is occurring each game with players like Henry, Judon, Canady, Smith, Williams, and Humphrey.
    2. They have been playing a number of snaps with less talented players, but now have most of the best in place. Humphrey has the LCB job over Carr. Brandon is a fine #3 corner, but Humphrey is substantially better. Canady won't be in the slot long term, but he's a fresh set of legs this season. Webb can play some on the back end. Smith is being used with some effect on the inside for passing downs. Willie Henry is taking more than the snaps he should as the team's best interior pass rusher, but they will find a way to keep him fresh. Onwuasor now has the job from Correa which is an upgrade at the team's weakest defensive position.
    3. There is still significant depth in case of injury on the DL (Wormley), CB (Carr, Hill), S (Webb, Clark), and OLB (Williams, Bowser). Look around the league and tell me what other team has the luxury of such depth at this point. The only spot without depth significantly above the replacement level is ILB.
    4. Usage improved after the bye for Jefferson and Weddle. I believe their roles will be more closely defined going forward.
    5. The team has had success with minimal deception in the pass rush, but there is a whole unused portion of the playbook available to be used when needed.
    6. Pees has finally embraced the dime (22.0% this season up from 2.7% in his first 5 seasons) and it's paying huge dividends. The Ravens are among the top teams on 3rd down.

This is the #1 defense in the entire NFL in DVOA and I think we'll see plenty of evidence that's not a fluke over the remainder of this year.
    This has me pumped!

It's what the team wanted.
    It's what we asked for when we saw the investment.

Beat Houston to a pulp.

I love point #6. We talked about the potential dime package pre season.

Blog Entries

Filmstudy two questions...

What can the offense do to improve at least to an average level of play... down the stretch?

How good do you see the Ravens D becoming in 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Filmstudy two questions...

What can the offense do to improve at least to an average level of play... down the stretch?

How good do you see the Ravens D becoming in 2018?
    Average? That's probably not possible. Too many holes. The team needs some sort of offensive identity that can allow them to get a couple of more first downs per game, continue to run the ball somewhat effectively, and become even better at ball security. Points that can help:

1. Woodhead returning
    2. Finding 2-3 receivers who Flacco trusts to catch the ball. Best bets seem to be Maclin, Watson, and Wallace.
    3. Healthy Stanley
    4. More max protection/delayed routes from chip blockers to create more time and space.

2018 Defense: They should be very good simply because they won't have to lose anyone other than Urban (he is a big loss). Carr, Webb, and Weddle may be gone, but that will be at the team's discretion. The rookie deal players will all mature a year and I expect at least 1-2 of a very talented group of developmental defenders to step up into a big role. The only positions they need to address in my opinion are ILB and playmaking FS on the defense.

Please either read the midseason roster evaluation for the defense or listen to the podcast. Those have my expectations for the developmental defenders (10).

All that said, the defense may not be as good as a unit because they may have injuries that will cost them more dearly than in 2017 and some productive older players (Suggs, Weddle, Webb, Smith) may take a step back.