Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Blog Entries

Re: Lombardi's piece on the coaches and scouts

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Stop gap until kubes was ready to coach again

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    I don't think Kubes coming back here. Just a gut feeling.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That offense is a much better fit. Bring back Vontae
    Shoot I would so ok with Cam right now...(i just died inside saying that)

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post

Think back to a player like RGIII. Mike Shanahan tailored his rookies offense to fit the player, the guy thrived. Shanahan is gone, and RGIII sucked ever since.
    Maybe not the best example? Shanahan killed RGIII (w/ help from Haloti Ngata) by making him play through a bum knee in 2012 end of/postseason.

TBH I don't think we need some genius wonderboy a la Sean McVay (although it would be nice). We just need a coaching staff that lets people do their job. Let the scouts scout, let Ozzie and Eric draft, let the OC run his system, and let the DC use players in their natural position.

It doesn't have to be complicated.

I like Harbs a lot and I think he creates a good team environment, but I think it's time he gets *assigned* his coordinators and has to make due. His voice in the warroom also needs to be muted.

Final note: I don't think the drafting has been as bad, talent wise, as everyone says. It's injuries that have killed us. Perriman, Elam, and Brown were flops, sure. But guys like Maxx, Dixon, Lewis, Camp, Gilmore, etc have shown a lot of promise, just a run of bad luck.

Also, I'd kill to have Cam back again. Look back at 2008 - 2012 (counting it because it was his playbook): playoffs each year, 3 AFCCGs, and a Super Bowl victory. Like, dayum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I don't think Kubes coming back here. Just a gut feeling.
    At least then we can all move on

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I call total BULLSHIT ON that assumption. Not blaming you, blaming this lousy head coach who made that decision.

Okay, lets look at the numbers game.

In 2014 when Simon was let go.

Our starters were Suggs and Dumervil. No denying they were the best starters.
    Depth now, there was good depth
    Pernell Mcphee
    Albert Mclellan

Keep in mind Mcphee was a pending Free agent who obviously signed elsewhere in 2015.

So knowing in 2014 (1 year into John Simons 4 year contract) you let him go knowing most likely You are going to lose a Pernell Mcphee how do you not find a way to stash a guy you just drafted 1 year earlier on the roster?????

Keep in mind in 2013 The Ravens drafted (Arhtur Brown, John Simon and Kapron Lewis Moore) all from the same draft. All LB/DE.

We cut John Simon and kept the following scrubs
    Terrance Cody
    Kapron Lewis Moore
    Asa Jackson
    Jermomy Miles
    Omar Brown
    Terrance Brooks

You can even include Brent Urban ino that mix.

How about a roster spot for Darrien Stewart on a 1 year rental because Terrance Brooks sucked and didn't pan out.

All of those things factor into why this team lost 1 of the best players they have drafted in the last 5 years. That's right one of the best players drafted lately plays of opposing teams when we could have had him under contract for his entire rookie deal.

But we are stuck watching Frying pan Hands Perriman for how many years?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    You're bitching our third round safety wasn't ready to start the year he was drafted? Don't let reality get in the way of a good narrative...

Now take the dbs off your list and we can at least see an argument.
    I wasn't going to take the bait, but.... You're right of course on Brooks.

But moreover, none of the players mentioned in the above argument have much of anything at all to do with Simon...none of the five-techniques or DBs listed. Except perhaps that Simon was lousy on special teams as a rookie and you can't justify holding a roster spot for depth LB who can't play ST. McClellan gave you what Simon did as an OLB, plus he plays a mean ST role.

The claim that Simon is one of their best draft picks of the last five years is preposterous. After playing out his rookie deal Houston could have kept him and the open market tells us what his value really is. Indy gave him 3/$13MM deal. Not chump change, but not money that Houston would have struggled to match. For reference, McPhee and Ellerbe received deals in the $35MM to $40MM range. Hell, Kyle Juszczyk plays a position that most teams don't even need and he signed a $20MM deal.

If you want to look at a more relevant list of who the Ravens kept when they put Simon on the practice squad, besides Suggs and Dumervil, you need to mention Sergio Kindle, Courtney Upshaw, Michael McAdoo (who we were all hyped about his pass-rushing promise--can't put him on the practice squad!!), and Rolando McClain.

I'm not going to pretend I have anything more than hindsight vision when it comes to criticizing the decisions to put Simon on the practice squad.

I think instead of focusing on if the guy is an actual football player liked the Derrick Henry vs Correa statement. Yes they are taking guys who appear to be safer, whether its a character thing or a performance thing I think they have lost sight of the direction they once had over all the other teams.

This year, Look at Ju Ju Schuster vs Bowser for example. Why wouldn't you take a chance using your 2nd round pick on a talent like JU JU when this team has a history of finding linebackers not even drafted????

Truly mind boggling when you think about it.

I think the rest of the league has caught up to their talent evaluating, and the Ravens have not improved is the big difference. Technology and social media has made players so easily accessible and the Ravens front office does not operate that way.
    Love this insight - it's so counterintuitive. Normally, one would think that the best strategy is to use a draft pick on the positions you know best. The argument here is that, if a team knows that its ability to draft and develop players varies by position. that it should recognize that, as the draft progresses, the team has a better chance at getting a diamond in the rough than at the positions it knows than those it doesn't. Consequently, when drafting positions that the team doesn't know, it should be more willing to acknowledge its weakness, trust "the wisdom of crowds," and burn high draft picks on low-risk, pro-ready, consensus picks at positions it doesn't understand.

Consciously adopting such a strategy, however, requires at least two things. The first is self-awareness to recognize and admit to oneself one's own incompetence. That's a tall order for an individual; doing so within an organization, even one as small and tight as an NFL front office, is an order of magnitude more difficult.

The second is the FO having the guts to admit to ownership that, in some cases, it can't "beat the market," and should effectively outsource at least part of the solution to BLESTO, Kiper, Street & Smith, et al. because management knows that it doesn't know what it's doing.

There's probably a bit more here to consider, but I'm tired and need to get back to work.

BS