Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Re: You are the GM. You got 18 months !

I almost forgot. I would fire Dean Pees and make sure the pink slip read "Fired!" in letters five feet high. I would hire planes to sky write it over every NFL stadium on the same day and alert the press to cover every single one so that there would be no mistake in what transpired. It wouldn't win me any friends, but that's not what I'm after doing it that way....

Blog Entries

It's not that complicated. If you have Kubiak and Pagano here and this current roster is 6-3 at worst. That's the first thing I'd do. The coordinators are easily the worst part of this entire operation right now, so if you fix them you fix a lot. I'd then try to sign Alshon (which they should have fucking done last year) and either J. Graham or take a flyer on Eifert in the offseason, and I'd re-sign Jensen. Whatever corresponding moves would need to be made to ensure there's enough space for them, I'd make those (I don't know off the top of my head). I don't know enough about the upcoming draft to comment fully on it but I would be looking at taking the best offensive talent available at each pick, unless a really great defender AT A POSITION OF NEED (i.e. not another fucking defensive lineman) fell into my lap.

Trade Joe Flacco to the the Browns. Draft a 2nd round qb. Sign Cousins/Jimmy to a big deal without crazy guarnteed money

Blog Entries

I'm not buying this Kubiak stuff at all. He's not suddenly better. At best he's back for a year and then retires again for health reasons. I know Ravens fans have a soft spot for him but he would not be on my list.

First thing I am doing is keeping Ozzie. I've heard enough former GMs over the years to know that they listen to what their head coaches want and try to draft and sign personnel that fits in with that. Obviously it doesn't always work perfectly but I believe that if the new coach wants big players instead of fast players Ozzie will target big players. If the new coach believes that skill players can make up for a weak offensive line, Ozzie will target skill players. It's more detailed than that like the idea of large but slower Cornerbacks vs small shifty ones or Offensive Tackles that are more power than finesse. I do not believe that Ozzie will force the new coach into an existing system but adjust the system to fit the vision of the coach.

I'm not looking at retreads. The Ravens have done very well with first time coaches. They bring an energy and openness that a retread might not. The 3 guys who would be on my short list are:

Jim Bob Cooter the 33 year old OC for the Lions.

Harold Goodwin the OC of the Cardinals and protege of Bruce Arians

David Shaw the Head Coach of Stanford and former Ravens position coach under Brian Billick

I would then encourage hiring an experienced DC like Chuck Pagano but if the new Head Coach strongly disagreed I would be open to their suggestions.

All 3 have been very creative on offense. They're going to want to build their teams a certain way. Flacco has to be a part of that for the next 2 years. Other than that feel free to start playing with the roster and building the team to their vision

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    It's not that complicated. If you have Kubiak and Pagano here and this current roster is 6-3 at worst. That's the first thing I'd do. The coordinators are easily the worst part of this entire operation right now, so if you fix them you fix a lot. I'd then try to sign Alshon (which they should have fucking done last year) and either J. Graham or take a flyer on Eifert in the offseason, and I'd re-sign Jensen. Whatever corresponding moves would need to be made to ensure there's enough space for them, I'd make those (I don't know off the top of my head). I don't know enough about the upcoming draft to comment fully on it but I would be looking at taking the best offensive talent available at each pick, unless a really great defender AT A POSITION OF NEED (i.e. not another fucking defensive lineman) fell into my lap.
    You going to spend the first pick on a free safety, move Tavon there or what are you going to do to fix that problem?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    According to you all we have to do is play Perriman and the offense will be great
    I was waiting for someone to bring this up.
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm not buying this Kubiak stuff at all. He's not suddenly better. At best he's back for a year and then retires again for health reasons. I know Ravens fans have a soft spot for him but he would not be on my list.

First thing I am doing is keeping Ozzie. I've heard enough former GMs over the years to know that they listen to what their head coaches want and try to draft and sign personnel that fits in with that. Obviously it doesn't always work perfectly but I believe that if the new coach wants big players instead of fast players Ozzie will target big players. If the new coach believes that skill players can make up for a weak offensive line, Ozzie will target skill players. It's more detailed than that like the idea of large but slower Cornerbacks vs small shifty ones or Offensive Tackles that are more power than finesse. I do not believe that Ozzie will force the new coach into an existing system but adjust the system to fit the vision of the coach.

I'm not looking at retreads. The Ravens have done very well with first time coaches. They bring an energy and openness that a retread might not. The 3 guys who would be on my short list are:

Jim Bob Cooter the 33 year old OC for the Lions.

Harold Goodwin the OC of the Cardinals and protege of Bruce Arians

David Shaw the Head Coach of Stanford and former Ravens position coach under Brian Billick

I would then encourage hiring an experienced DC like Chuck Pagano but if the new Head Coach strongly disagreed I would be open to their suggestions.

All 3 have been very creative on offense. They're going to want to build their teams a certain way. Flacco has to be a part of that for the next 2 years. Other than that feel free to start playing with the roster and building the team to their vision
    very reasonable approach. I agree we need new blood. I prefer an aggressive team on offense and defense. I actually like the DC from carolina as well, he seems to be blitz happy which Im okay with.
    Burn it down

If we are talking about a short term fix, I would agree with keeping Harbs on the condition that he brought in Pagano as DC and Kubes as OC. That move probably only works for 1 year maybe 2 as Pags would probably get another HC opportunity and Kubes probably retires for good.

Longer term:
    Go after Josh McDaniels or Jim Bob Cooter as HC. Try like hell to get Pags as DC or another young up and coming DC who runs a 3-4.
    Release:
    Weddle
    Suggs
    Carr
    McClellan
    Webb
    Moseley - Not sure this team needs to pay a MLB 8m for a 1 year deal. Certainly do not want to see them extend him with a massive contract.

Sign to contracts:
    QB - Sign a decent backup for 1-2m
    WR - Jarvis Landry or Davante Adams or Moncrief or Lee
    TE - ASJ or maybe look to trade for Cameron Brate
    Oline - Jensen
    ILB - Minter

Address FS, TE, WR and Oline depth in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    If we are talking about a short term fix, I would agree with keeping Harbs on the condition that he brought in Pagano as DC and Kubes as OC. That move probably only works for 1 year maybe 2 as Pags would probably get another HC opportunity and Kubes probably retires for good.

Longer term:
    Go after Josh McDaniels or Jim Bob Cooter as HC. Try like hell to get Pags as DC or another young up and coming DC who runs a 3-4.
    Release:
    Weddle
    Suggs
    Carr
    McClellan
    Webb
    Moseley - Not sure this team needs to pay a MLB 8m for a 1 year deal. Certainly do not want to see them extend him with a massive contract.

Sign to contracts:
    QB - Sign a decent backup for 1-2m
    WR - Jarvis Landry or Davante Adams or Moncrief or Lee
    TE - ASJ or maybe look to trade for Cameron Brate
    Oline - Jensen
    ILB - Minter

Address FS, TE, WR and Oline depth in the draft.
    Bold moves, but I agree with pretty mcuh all of them. I'd purge some of these contracts and rebuild with young lads that fit the system of the new DC.

First and foremost would be hiring a HC with a clear vision for both sides of the ball. Focus would be on a strategic football coach and not so much a CEO type. Harbaugh was absolutely the right guy for hte job in 2008. We had an identity and he actually fit it (remember this was before we knew what Joe Flacco was). Run the ball, control the clock, play defense.

Now we have lsot that vision with the arrival of the WCO. It doesn't fit our players at all and it just does not work.

The New HC needs a vision for what they want. It may take a couple years to mesh a team together, but enough this switching between zone blocking and run blocking shit. Bring in a guy who says here's what we're going to do and then that gives the GM the opportunity to find players for that.

Our next HC is pivotal for this franchise.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    You going to spend the first pick on a free safety, move Tavon there or what are you going to do to fix that problem?
    I'd be fine with drafting FS in the first, I don't know the names as I'm not a big draftnik but if we can get one of the top one(s) and the value is good relative to the pick, I'd do it. I'm not necessarily opposed to drafting defense, my defensive drafting would just be based more on need and not "oh Chris Wormley is still sitting here, nevermind that we have 74 defensive linemen already, we gotta take him!"

For the first draft, I kick the tires on QB's all the way from 1st round talents to 7th round talents. After I put my top 150 players together on a big board in order, I make sure that whenever I am on the clock, the #1 player on that board is who is on my card that I'm turning in. If I see an opportunity to trade up or back in the first or second round to take a QB that I like, I make it happen. If the QB is a 1st or early 2nd round talent. I pull the trigger on unloading Flacco. I take all of the cap hits in the first year, bring in a veteran QB in a one year cheap deal, and hope to let the new QB compete for the starting job. If I can manage to stay under the cap in 2018 Flacco's penalties, I'll be set up for a windfall of newfound cap space in 2019 and going forward.

If going after a QB in the 1st or early 2nd round doesn't work out, I eat Flacco's 2018 $12,000,000 salary and hope that he can prove me wrong. I let him know that he's auditioning for a job the whole 2018 season.

As I was saying, I go BPA, BPA, BPA, BPA, etc. in all rounds. I stay out of the free agency race, and maybe kick the tires on some post draft cut free agents and hope to find some diamond in the rough undrafted free agents. My main priority is getting great value in the draft, and getting back to financial health so that we can have some flexibility going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I'd be fine with drafting FS in the first, I don't know the names as I'm not a big draftnik but if we can get one of the top one(s) and the value is good relative to the pick, I'd do it. I'm not necessarily opposed to drafting defense, my defensive drafting would just be based more on need and not "oh Chris Wormley is still sitting here, nevermind that we have 74 defensive linemen already, we gotta take him!"

This opinion will not be liked, but I'm in that camp too. Right now it's looking like the first round is going to be pretty defense heavy, but obvioulsy a lot is going ot change in the next 6 months before the draft.

It's moreso about grabbing guys who are going to be challenging for starter spots and nto another depth guy on defense.

I used to be a big proponent of BPA, but that was back when our guys were usually studs. Now that we've had some busts we need to start factoring in need to the equation.

For example, we do not, in any way shape or form, need a defensive lineman in this draft.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB