Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Eric DeCosta vs. Ozzie Newsome

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I was ready to call BS on this but this is...actually pretty accurate on all points. DeCosta was promoted in 2012 which is the same time the drafting went downhill. So maybe I'm wrong and it's not Harbaugh's post-SB influence that has fucked us in the draft room, maybe it's DeCosta. And it's also true that basically every Ozzie disciple has failed. Good post.
    Its a combination of both Harbaugh and Decosta. Decosta influences who they DO pick and Harbs influences who they DONT pick e.g Ozzie was interested in moving up for Dez Bryant but Harbs did not want a diva.

Its nothing new that ozzie listens to his team: e.g he listened to billick and traded up for boller despite really wanting to draft Anquan Boldin with the 2nd round pick that he gave up. Its just that the combination of Decosta and Harbs has completety take over the drafts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    Its a combination of both Harbaugh and Decosta. Decosta influences who they DO pick and Harbs influences who they DONT pick e.g Ozzie was interested in moving up for Dez Bryant but Harbs did not want a diva.

Its nothing new that ozzie listens to his team: e.g he listened to billick and traded up for boller despite really wanting to draft Anquan Boldin with the 2nd round pick that he gave up. Its just that the combination of Decosta and Harbs has completety take over the drafts.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't have given up draft assets to move up for Dez, but in reality we did draft Jimmy Smith. Remember this play near the end of Super Bowl XLVII :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpA2nB1i_uY

... Bc

Anything to remove any blame from Ozzie of course...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No way to know. DeCosta is pretty vocal. We've heard him break down draft and moves for 10 years. He sounds exactly like Ozzie. I'm sure there are disagreements but the foundation for their thinking is based on the same stuff. It's a consistent method that they both use
    Im just tired of us valuing 3rd and 4th round comp picks more than the potential for a gamebreaker. We'd rather collect a bunch of projects than risk two picks to move up in the draft
    Burn it down

If this is true, as the GM, Ozzie needs to step in and say that what they've been doing hasn't been working and they will shift back to him drafting the players.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Im just tired of us valuing 3rd and 4th round comp picks more than the potential for a gamebreaker. We'd rather collect a bunch of projects than risk two picks to move up in the draft
    Hbg, I was never one for trading up in general because Ozzie was finding mid-round gems. Many of whom were comp picks. Times have changed, and so has my way of thinking. I agree that having a bevy of middle-of-the-road picks don't add up to a play-maker. This would be especially true on offense where the Ravens just don't have anyone to scare the opposing defense... Bc

It's a great question, one to which we really have no way to answer. They do a great job of keep things internalized. I can only go by a post on FB by Tony L., in which he implied some inside knowledge on his part that when Ozzie goes, if Eric does indeed take over, that certain things will be done a lot differently and that fans will be pleased. Other than that, I got nothing.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Speaking of comp picks :

"Ravens still projected to receive third-round comp pick in 2018"

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-r...y-pick-in-2018

... Bc

One thing we will lose is Ozzie's personal network, charisma and aplomb in dealing with vets, both those we want to get and those we want to unload. Pouncing on Dumervil, landing Steve Smith, Weddle, Maclin, just to name a few, show what a beacon he - often in tandem with Harbaugh - has been in attracting talent which is often fiercely coveted by other teams. Getting a 4th and 5th rounder at the last minute for Ngata was masterful.

DeCosta has his own deep ties around the league, of course, but we cannot expect him to be able to attract veteran talent the same way Ozzie has.

Ozzie and DeCosta are both obviously deeply involved in every draft and an outsider can hardly judge who is responsible for what part. If the haul in 2016 is any measure - actually a good haul for two drafts - they are capable still of doing it well, in spite of several early round misfires. Most encouraging is an improving take in of promising UDFAs. To be able to get a quality rookie, and not have to spend a draft choice on him, is a high quality achievement.

I guess in terms of offensive and defensive philosophy, we are pretty much in the dark about the difference between Ozzie and Eric.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I was ready to call BS on this but this is...actually pretty accurate on all points. DeCosta was promoted in 2012 which is the same time the drafting went downhill. So maybe I'm wrong and it's not Harbaugh's post-SB influence that has fucked us in the draft room, maybe it's DeCosta. And it's also true that basically every Ozzie disciple has failed. Good post.
    First of all this is totally inaccurate.

He has been part of the Ravens since 2003 and had a big part in drafting a number of great players in that time period. He was clearly a driving force behind the 2008 draft that landed us Joe and Ray.

The guy is still really young for a football executive and has been doing this type of thing since 1993. He is the obvious succesor to Oz and fans need to get used to the fact that he is the next Ravens GM. No way is Steve picking anyone else for that job... the Ravens brass have picked him for a reason.

If theres anyone you want to blame for the lack of drafting success since 2012.... you have to start by blaming the new age scouting dept and Joe Hortiz imo... these are the guys that are reporting on all the prospects and delivering the info to Oz and Eric.

Maybe Oz should pay more attention to this board over his scouting dept.

Blog Entries

He didn't have the same impact back then Leach. Back then there was more of a group of guys under Ozzie. Phil Savage being another, until he left for Cleveland. Now, you bring up an interesting point about the scouting department, because there has long been a rumored riff between the scouting department and coaching staff.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Eric DeCosta vs. Ozzie Newsome

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    One thing we will lose is Ozzie's personal network, charisma and aplomb in dealing with vets, both those we want to get and those we want to unload. Pouncing on Dumervil, landing Steve Smith, Weddle, Maclin, just to name a few, show what a beacon he - often in tandem with Harbaugh - has been in attracting talent which is often fiercely coveted by other teams. Getting a 4th and 5th rounder at the last minute for Ngata was masterful.

DeCosta has his own deep ties around the league, of course, but we cannot expect him to be able to attract veteran talent the same way Ozzie has.

Ozzie and DeCosta are both obviously deeply involved in every draft and an outsider can hardly judge who is responsible for what part. If the haul in 2016 is any measure - actually a good haul for two drafts - they are capable still of doing it well, in spite of several early round misfires. Most encouraging is an improving take in of promising UDFAs. To be able to get a quality rookie, and not have to spend a draft choice on him, is a high quality achievement.

I guess in terms of offensive and defensive philosophy, we are pretty much in the dark about the difference between Ozzie and Eric.
    rhap, yours is an excellent (well thought out) post. First-rate thinking and skillful personal explanation. I read it... Bc