Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Eric DeCosta vs. Ozzie Newsome

We have broken down just about every issue with this team, between the off-season, training camp and the regular season. We have a clear understanding of why Dean Pees is a part of the problem. We have a clear understanding of why the Bisciotti-Harbaugh relationship may be problematic at this point. We are beginning to get a clearer picture of why Joe Flacco is playing the way he is playing. That's just a matter of percentages at this point.

The one mystery, to me, is the dynamic between Ozzie Newsome and Eric DeCosta. We all know that Ozzie Newsome values defense over offense and we know that one reason why Harbaugh has been able to implement his philosophy is, because Ozzie supports it. Ozzie has never been good at drafting WRs and they tend to target the same profile of prospect, as a result of wanting someone who will just give them a big play or two to help the defense out. However, we don't truly know where Eric DeCosta stands. Publicly, you would expect him to support Ozzie and support the philosophy. However, if Ozzie were to be taken out of the picture, would DeCosta's philosophy differ in any way?

Since none of us know the answer, I just thought that this would be a good thread to just give our opinions or guesses as to the type of philosophy DeCosta would have as the de facto GM. Do we think he is a mirror image of Ozzie? Do we think that while he may want to win the same way, he would be more flexible if he saw that they needed to let the offense carry the day more? Do we think that he secretly wants to have the most powerful offense in the league and may try to talk Steve Bisciotti into being on board with that?

What say you?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: Eric DeCosta vs. Ozzie Newsome

Obviously hard to speculate with any degree of accuracy beyond saying that he is an apprentice of Ozzie and therefore likely carries a lot of the same football philosophies. I would guess that since he is younger that perhaps he’d be more flexible but I still think he’d want to build off of the Seattle/Baltimore model moreso than the Falcons/Saints model. Regardless I do believe we will find out eventually, perhaps even next year, because I do think he is the next GM no matter how this season or next turns out.

cage match?

I say it is blind speculation beyond the fact that Ozzie and Bisciotti obviously like him, because they are paying him a lot of money to be Ozzie's lieutenant.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

I think the same model will be followed but I feel as though Eric will tweak a few things and modernise the regime a bit. I still expect to see an emphasis on getting back to a strong run game and physical defense. Flacco is getting towards the end of his career as a Ravens imo and the Ravens will be looking at a new young QB or a vet game manager (like a McCown while grooming a young QB).

Blog Entries

It’s hard to tell but since he’s Ozzie’s protege I would say he would probably be in the same mold? I mean if he takes over I would hope
    To god he realizes the downfalls and try to correct it. From the scouting process to the draft process. I just hope he will use some comon sense and don’t overthink the process like what has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontibelloValhalla View Post
    Are we know blaming Flacco's sucktitude on the dynamic between Decosta and Newsome? Team was built with the expectation that the quarterback is not a bum.

Law Firm of McCauley, Dickey and McMillan.
    Man you seem to make every effort to squeeze this into just about every thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow, during the years the Ravens were successful, I looked at DeCosta as Ozzie's successor down the line. Likely that was common thinking. These last three years, I am hoping DeCosta has a younger, more modern approach or we will see more of same. I don't believe Bisciotti would want that going forward... Bc

Blog Entries

One thing that I am really wondering is whether Steve Bisciotti is more married to John Harbaugh or the Defense-first philosophy.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

My guess is Biscotti has been following Decosta's recommendations, and now he's seen how things have played out. If Decosta has been right more often than not, even if Ozzie did not follow through with Decosta's suggestions, Biscotti knows he can be trusted.

I think if Harbaugh steps down the time would be right to give Decosta a chance to pick a HC.

Blog Entries

I just see him as more of the same.

Blog Entries

No way to know. DeCosta is pretty vocal. We've heard him break down draft and moves for 10 years. He sounds exactly like Ozzie. I'm sure there are disagreements but the foundation for their thinking is based on the same stuff. It's a consistent method that they both use

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No way to know. DeCosta is pretty vocal. We've heard him break down draft and moves for 10 years. He sounds exactly like Ozzie. I'm sure there are disagreements but the foundation for their thinking is based on the same stuff. It's a consistent method that they both use
    This is how I feel. It's easy to say DeCosta is his heir and thinks how Ozzie thinks, but it's almost impossible to know.

It's like a VP working under a President, who knows what they'd do if they were the president?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB