Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: John Harbaugh over riding Oz?

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    Ozzie has already survived two head coaches. If we're trying to send a message that we reward winning and want to cultivate a winning culture, what does it say when we scapegoat offensive coordinators and head coaches, but praise the GM.

My solution is to compromise. Strongarm Ozzie into retiring so that we can protect his legacy, but can move on and find a GM that is better adapted to the modern game. Or give DeCosta a shot.
    Hes survived teo head coaches because hes won a SB with both of them

Ozzie has already survived two head coaches. If we're trying to send a message that we reward winning and want to cultivate a winning culture, what does it say when we scapegoat offensive coordinators and head coaches, but praise the GM.

My solution is to compromise. Strongarm Ozzie into retiring so that we can protect his legacy, but can move on and find a GM that is better adapted to the modern game. Or give DeCosta a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Hes survived teo head coaches because hes won a SB with both of them
    As pissed as I am about the trend of our team, I think its unrealistic to fire a GM and headcoach the same year. The reasonable approach would be to get a new HC and see if our current trend was a direct reflection of Barbs getting to much control or our Staff needs cleaned out
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    It used to be that players who left were almost never as good as they were here. Now it seems that players who suck here go elsewhere and are at least productive and better than they were here to some extent. To me, that's coaching, not GM.
    Good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    As pissed as I am about the trend of our team, I think its unrealistic to fire a GM and headcoach the same year. The reasonable approach would be to get a new HC and see if our current trend was a direct reflection of Barbs getting to much control or our Staff needs cleaned out
    True and i honestly think it is that. Oz drafted players to suit Billick then changes to players who suot Harbs. Would Harbs have wanted Ray Lewis? Im not so sure as crazy as that sounds. He certainly wouldn't want Ed Reed... maybe JO though

John Harbaugh quoted below - his response to Pitta's comments about 1 read checkdowns. Translations in Red.

"Our reads are complicated. I have no idea what is going on. They are the same reads that we have had. Our offense has made no adjustments whatsoever. They are West Coast-style reads. LA is cool. They take into account many factors, [like] rotation of the defense, coverage structure. Who do I want to force the ball to today?. Is it two-deep, is it three-deep? Is it man? Is it zone? No, really what is it?? What are the matchups? Who are we playing again? Are they pressed, or are they off? I have no idea what is going on.

I only agree with this philosophy if you bank on the ability of the GM enough that he will not be let go in the near future. If you dump the coaches and then it looks like a change in the GM is necessary you will be asking somebody to come in and work with a Head Coach and Coaching Staff that was not his choice. If you decide to pick a GM that fits the new coach, what happens when the coach is the issue ? Their is a level of chemistry in the Front Office that must be maintained.

As much as Ozzie has been trashed, I think he can adapt to work with others; which means he is still long-term. There will be those here who will have a hard time with that plan.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavinFan View Post
    John Harbaugh quoted below - his response to Pitta's comments about 1 read checkdowns. Translations in Red.

"Our reads are complicated. I have no idea what is going on. They are the same reads that we have had. Our offense has made no adjustments whatsoever. They are West Coast-style reads. LA is cool. They take into account many factors, [like] rotation of the defense, coverage structure. Who do I want to force the ball to today?. Is it two-deep, is it three-deep? Is it man? Is it zone? No, really what is it?? What are the matchups? Who are we playing again? Are they pressed, or are they off? I have no idea what is going on.
    The translations are more believable

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I only agree with this philosophy if you bank on the ability of the GM enough that he will not be let go in the near future. If you dump the coaches and then it looks like a change in the GM is necessary you will be asking somebody to come in and work with a Head Coach and Coaching Staff that was not his choice. If you decide to pick a GM that fits the new coach, what happens when the coach is the issue ? Their is a level of chemistry in the Front Office that must be maintained.

As much as Ozzie has been trashed, I think he can adapt to work with others; which means he is still long-term. There will be those here who will have a hard time with that plan.

Good counterpoints.

I do think Ozzie is flexible. I honestly think the simplest explination is the correct one.

Harbaugh was the coach of a superbowl team, therefore he was given more influence over personell to mold his team (which any team would do). Unfortunately for us, Barbs is too conservative for the current NFL and lacks vision and scheme

Getting a New HC for us seems like it allows us to hit the reset button and see if Ozzie still has it
    Burn it down

I wouldn't necessarily fire Ozzie. I would either restructure his position, or encourage him to retire. Maybe take some compromising pictures of him, or offer him a nice golden parachute. That way we all save some face, and get some fresh blood in the position. Maybe make him liaison to Alabama scouting?

Blog Entries

I wouldn't necessarily fire Ozzie. I would either restructure his position, or encourage him to retire. Maybe take some compromising pictures of him, or offer him a nice golden parachute. That way we all save some face, and get some fresh blood in the position. Maybe make him liaison to Alabama scouting?
    I don't know if a "golden parachute" would suffice since Ozzie is likely a multi-millionaire by now anyway. My (expanding) gut feeling is that if the Ravens won a third Super Bowl, it would cement his historic rein as GM, and then he might go out on top. Players (Ray Lewis) have done it too... Bc

I didn't see the interview, but how would Pollard know this? Being a professional I don't see Oz going to Pollard to clear things up because he knows how that looks publicly.