Re: John Harbaugh over riding Oz?

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    He's almost Politician like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MAnnn that should be his next job.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Harbaugh, the no good cocksucker that he is, enemy of the FWO, got more stroke after our leader, Joe Flacco, dragged his ass to a title. Thanks to Bisciotti making him fire Cameron and Caldwell just using common sense. He does not override Ozzie completely, but he now has more stroke and the owner's ear.............................the bastard.
    Good stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    MAnnn that should be his next job.

I look at him that's what I see. A slimy politician

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Oh we do, do we? How do we know this? Pull quotes from the people involved. I would love to hear how we 'know' this.

Everyone preferred Leftwich to Boller. Everyone preferred Ryan to Flacco. That's why they were ranked higher. They were ranked higher on the Ravens board, and they were ranked higher on everyone else's board across the league. And of course, when you are trying to get a franchise QB, you try to get the best guy you can. But Ozzie tried -- and failed -- in both cases to trade up to get those guys.

That does NOT mean he didn't want Boller or Flacco -- it just means he PREFERRED Leftwich and Ryan. If he did not want either of those guys, he certainly would not have drafted either of those guys. If he thought Boller and/or Flacco were not going to be good NFL QBs, and he wasted a first rounder on them, he would have to be the dumbest GM in the history of the NFL.
    However! I seem to remember Cam Cameron (remember him?) pounded his fist on the table for Flacco. I'm sure he had some infuence. Given our current situation and the fact I detested his offense I would take him over Marty.

Blog Entries

I actually am starting to miss Cam Cameron and that is saying something

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah, and don't you ever say that again. That's like saying that you miss Matt Cavanaugh.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yeah, and don't you ever say that again. That's like saying that you miss Matt Cavanaugh.
    Guys, that's (not quite, but almost) like saying I'd miss my sister-in-law... Bc

Understand what you are feeling but I think that Cameron was necessary to get Joe were he was in the early years. At this point, the "My way or the Highway" mentality would not work between Joe and Cam, and since Joe has the Organization by the short-and-curlies with his contract status (and is more empowered than ever) we would see a Nuclear Exchange at the Castle.

I sometimes wonder if Cam had a belief that Joe was limited and it was dangerous to give him too much freedom; but that seems to be his MO regardless of who is involved. I believe that once Joe had the run in the Super Bowl year somebody believed that he had made a leap and would be better than he actually has to offer. Similar to the belief that Boller had made progress (see "Next Man Up").

As to the thread, I have come to the opinion that Harbaugh has some sway since the Super Bowl, and that he is trying to adopt the BB way to run a team - mostly average players that overachieve with a sprinkle of pretty good here and there. This makes players expendable and interchangeable but then requires some very good coaching to pull all of it out. The level of coaches he has chosen do not reach his goal. I also some times think that he believes that players can do more than is obvious (like in some cases, think) so they end up in positions that they cannot handle. I wonder some times if he gives people (coaches and players) more credit than is deserved. So he gives Oz a thumbs up on somebody in the draft or as a FA (and Oz relies on it), then it fails when the players do not meet the expectations or coaches are not competent enough.

What is obvious is that the tuning with the present parts is not right.
    Captain Offense

It would make sense, the head coach is a much more important position than the GM. The GM exists to support the head coach, and do things that the HC doesn't have time for, like scouting, drafting, small signings, and haggling over contracts. I guess that the one time that the GM has power over the HC is when he hires him, but I'd imagine that the owner and his advisors have a pretty big say in that. I doubt that the GM could have a HC fired, unless that GM had A LOT of unusual clout with an owner. The head coach makes between $5-8 million per year, and the GM makes between $1-3 million per year.

I'd imagine that the HC has a lot of input as to the major personnel decisions, like 1st round picks, locking up their own players, and recruiting key free agents. And I'd imagine that its purely up to the HC who gets cut, unless its purely a cash saving move (and then its probably a joint decision). I couldn't see a GM being like "no, no, no keep this guy he's great" when the HC has no use for him, and will just ride the bench for the rest of the contract. Now apparently Billy Beane had a reputation for being sneaky, and letting his position go to his head. This was an entirely different sport (baseball) but he would leverage managers by blackmailing them... mostly by trading away his players if they didn't set Beane's line-up, or trading the manager himself to a loser. But who knows, that might have been a tall tale. For the most part, the GM has no control over a player or the line-up once he's suited up and the pre-season starts.

Corey Graham, Torrey Smith, and Danell Ellerbe are all on the Eagles right now. Maybe they're bringing some of that champion fire we've lost. Funny how it's Harbaugh's old team too.

Benard Pollards recent interview certainly tells me that Harbaugh overrided Ozzie by cutting Pollard because he didnt want him on the team. Oz didnt want to cut him. This move kind of tells me that maybe there have been a lot of these decisions behind closed doors especially with who weve been drafting etc. Perhaps a lot of these guys have been Harbaugh guys which woulld explain why Oz goes from drafting more outspoken/alpha type players to selecting more reserved players who will fit under Harbs more.

Just a theory
    I thought this was obvious and people knew this about. Harbaugh didnt like alpha males and gof rid of people the first day he got here. Still remember the c-mac situatuon. Not as much as harbaugh overriding oz as much as oz giving in to or listening to what the coach wants.

Blog Entries

Good posts above me

In conclusion... i think this team has strongly come into Harbaughs image post SB. It was all Ray Lewis before that. Ozzie built the team around Ray Lewis to command. Now that he is gone Harbs has takem over and has watered everything down.

I wouldn't fire Oz... but id like a morr aggresive yet loose HC that Oz would want to help build a team that was similar pre 2012.