Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Elite pass rusher is still needed

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    The offense is basically an old beat up Pinto and here we are advocating we need to add a new engine to our perfectly fine Lambo that's driven to and from the grocery store by Grandma.
    Excellent analogy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Good run blocking shaky in pass protection... sounds familiar
    Bout time you smartened up.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I think Judon and Bowser will be good enough as they grow.

I want an elite pass rusher among the interior DL.

Hypothetically, with such a deep RB class, I'd leave RB1 through RB3 on the board, if I knew I could could get a guy who could land on this list of top interior pass rushers (based on PRP, pass rush productivity, or pressures per snap (with sacks added in and weighed the heaviest)):

Our best guy is Pierce, ranked #48.
    Not even close to getting the job done.

Off the top of my head, about 66-75% of these guys were acquired outside of Round 1.

Blog Entries

I actually think that with better coaching, they'll find that they have better pass rushing talent that's already on the roster.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I actually think that with better coaching, they'll find that they have better pass rushing talent that's already on the roster.
    Agreed

Blog Entries

Or if some of the pass rushers could ever get out of Harbaughs dog house

Blog Entries

I have always felt that coaching matters significantly more in the football than any other major U.S. sport. There are literally 22 moving parts on every single play, except when Jay Cutler is asked to play Wide Receiver. That is a lot to coordinate. 2011 was a year that really stood out to me on what good coaching could do to a team. The 2011 defense wasn't too different, statistically, from the 2010 defense. However, you could just see that they, unlike the 2010 defense, were closers. I believe that Chuck Pagano had a lot to do with that. The year prior, Cary Williams is kept on the bench, despite looking good in training camp and the pre-season, in favor of Josh Wilson. In 2011, Pagano pulls him off of the bench and he is a decent starter. In 2010, John Harbaugh gave Fabian Washington way too much rope, before going to Webb due to Washington's knee injury. In 2011, Chuck Pagano makes Webb a starter and he has one of the best individual seasons for a CB in team history. In 2010, Paul Kruger was asked to bulk up for the five technique. In 2011, he was told to drop back down by Chuck Pagano, because he was going to be put at his natural position and in his natural role as an edge rusher. In 2011, Chuck Pagano does a great job of recognizing that he only has one legitimate pass rusher, maneuvering him around the formation to expose weaknesses in offensive fronts and get him as many of the best chances to get to the QB as possible. Before and after Pagano, Suggs rarely moves and it's mostly on stunts inside. He pretty much stays on the right side.

Blog Entries

I have always felt that coaching matters significantly more in the football than any other major U.S. sport. There are literally 22 moving parts on every single play, except when Jay Cutler is asked to play Wide Receiver. That is a lot to coordinate. 2011 was a year that really stood out to me on what good coaching could do to a team. The 2011 defense wasn't too different, statistically, from the 2010 defense. However, you could just see that they, unlike the 2010 defense, were closers. I believe that Chuck Pagano had a lot to do with that. The year prior, Cary Williams is kept on the bench, despite looking good in training camp and the pre-season, in favor of Josh Wilson. In 2011, Pagano pulls him off of the bench and he is a decent starter. In 2010, John Harbaugh gave Fabian Washington way too much rope, before going to Webb due to Washington's knee injury. In 2011, Chuck Pagano makes Webb a starter and he has one of the best individual seasons for a CB in team history. In 2010, Paul Kruger was asked to bulk up for the five technique. In 2011, he was told to drop back down by Chuck Pagano, because he was going to be put at his natural position and in his natural role as an edge rusher. In 2011, Chuck Pagano does a great job of recognizing that he only has one legitimate pass rusher, maneuvering him around the formation to expose weaknesses in offensive fronts and get him as many of the best chances to get to the QB as possible. Before and after Pagano, Suggs rarely moves and it's mostly on stunts inside. He pretty much stays on the right side.
    God damnit. I agree with the whole post. Hell is freezing over

I will add that while we won the Super Bowl in 2012, I still think that 2011 team was a better team, it took two extraordinarily shitty fuckups in a row to keep us out of the Super Bowl which I’m fully confident they would have won.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Sorry offense bros... but I would not rule out drafting an elite type pass rusher in the 1st rd in 2018.

Ive been a long time fan of Suggs and think he doesn't get enough credit for what he does here. Lots of posters I've seen are down on him because he hasn't taken ovee this team the way Ray did. Suggs was never going to be that guy. He is still a good player though and still has a good shot at the HOF. But he is what he is at his age... a very good edge setter and a decent pass rusher. He isn't a pass rusher that can take over games week in week out like he used to.

I like Judon, Bowser and Williams... but I don't know if any of those guys will become a Von Miller or a Khalil mack which is what this defense needs. Williams I see being a very good paas rusher, but not someone who you can play on every downs. I see Judon and Bowser as complimentary pieces opposite a great pass rusher.

The defense is now finally set in the secondary after four years of trying to build it up with lots of set backs along the way. I think the run defense is fine, I just think Pees was to blame for teams running on us earliee on this season. Now we need that pass rusher who can terrify the edges.

I would rather go offense in rd 1... i really like Quenton Nelson and think the OL needs to be revamped somewhat. But he is not guaranteed to be on the clock when we're picking. But the WRs in this class don't look strong... and most of the TEs seem tk bw rd 2 type prospects. So id rather take a pass rusher in rd 1 over drafting a lesser prospect for the sake of trying to improve an offense to appease the masses.
    I wouldn't draft anymore pass rushers until Pees is gone. He wastes talent by neutering it. We might have several great pass rushers already. We won't know until we get a DC and HC that are not afraid to attack.

Blog Entries

I would rank the 2011 Ravens team second among teams that I was most disappointed didn't win the Super bowl. The 2001 Ravens were impressive enough to even make it to the second round of the playoffs. The year prior, they at least had a rush offense to lean on. In 2001, the passing numbers looked better, but that's not saying much when compared to the 2000 offense and nobody was in fear of this passing offense. The 2003 Ravens were going to be stopped at some point, because all they could do was run the ball. Fans had been spoiled by the 2000 defense into thinking that such dominance could be duplicated just a year after a purge. The 2008 Ravens, in my opinion, over-achieved. The 2009 Ravens were a good team, but I never expected them to defeat Indianapolis. The 2010 Ravens were a team that you never seemed to be fully confident in. Do I think they would have defeated the Jets? Yes. However, I would not have been fully confident in them defeating the Packers. Although, they could have done it. The 2014 Ravens I would put third, because it was like Flacco was back at it again. To see one drive where Daniels drops a TD pass and then see Torrey so horribly misjudge a ball in the air was more disheartening than watching Brady shred our secondary.

Blog Entries

I would rank the 2011 Ravens team second among teams that I was most disappointed didn't win the Super bowl. The 2001 Ravens were impressive enough to even make it to the second round of the playoffs. The year prior, they at least had a rush offense to lean on. In 2001, the passing numbers looked better, but that's not saying much when compared to the 2000 offense and nobody was in fear of this passing offense. The 2003 Ravens were going to be stopped at some point, because all they could do was run the ball. Fans had been spoiled by the 2000 defense into thinking that such dominance could be duplicated just a year after a purge. The 2008 Ravens, in my opinion, over-achieved. The 2009 Ravens were a good team, but I never expected them to defeat Indianapolis. The 2010 Ravens were a team that you never seemed to be fully confident in. Do I think they would have defeated the Jets? Yes. However, I would not have been fully confident in them defeating the Packers. Although, they could have done it. The 2014 Ravens I would put third, because it was like Flacco was back at it again. To see one drive where Daniels drops a TD pass and then see Torrey so horribly misjudge a ball in the air was more disheartening than watching Brady shred our secondary.
    You forgot to point out who number 1 is but Ill go ahead and assume 2006. A fine argument, I think Ill take the 2011 team just because it had the better QB (at least at that point in their respective careers).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    God damnit. I agree with the whole post. Hell is freezing over

I will add that while we won the Super Bowl in 2012, I still think that 2011 team was a better team, it took two extraordinarily shitty fuckups in a row to keep us out of the Super Bowl which I’m fully confident they would have won.
    Pagono should/will be available this year and I can't see him getting another HCing gig......