Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remembering the 2009 Season

Ravens get into the playoffs at 9-7, and pull off, in my humble opinion, one the best Ravens games ever. Have you ever heard the air taken out of a stadium faster than the first Ray Rice touchdown at Gilette? Flacco completed a handful of passes, really didn't do much, and the Ravens routed them.

A 9-7 team that was actually 6-6 at one point. As bad as the Ravens have looked at times, they're by no means out of it. It's hard to argue that the defense is a fluke when they've shutout 30% of their schedule.

If the offense steps it up just a little bit, they can be the 2009 team. Are they going to win it all? Probably not. Can they ruin it for somebody else? Possibly. I'd like to watch them try.

Therefore, I hope we're rooting for wins instead of rooting for firings. This season isn't over.

Re: Remembering the 2009 Season

The defense is no fluke.

Honestly, I think Woodhead staying healthy (and having Stanley back) could make us a very scary 6 seed.

This offense has zero depth is the issue. Far too much reliability rests on the starters that if just one goes down, so does the whole tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    The defense is no fluke.

Honestly, I think Woodhead staying healthy (and having Stanley back) could make us a very scary 6 seed.

This offense has zero depth is the issue. Far too much reliability rests on the starters that if just one goes down, so does the whole tower.
    That's why when someone says the Ravens would have lost if so and so played, we have some of our best players on IR. We should have no advantage related to a healthy roster even if Hundley is playing for Rodgers. They've had to do so much patchwork, especially on the line. Losing Yanda was horrible, but they've still managed to stay in this thing. Hurst nearly got Flacco killed a couple of times.

The defense is good enough to stack against anyone else's. Three shutouts, 2 on the road? That is impressive no matter who's playing QB.

And so long as Hurst isn't playing LT and PerriBUST isn't playing period, the offense can compete. Not great, but they can compete.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

The 2009 Ravens were way better than their record and may have actually been our most balanced team across the board. They just happened to face a ridiculously stacked schedule, especially when it came to opposing offenses. Probably about equal with the 2010-12 teams, only Flacco played much worse in the playoffs.

our offense was decent and defense meh if I remember correctly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It was the first year of Pops Madison's defense.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Can they ruin it for somebody else? Possibly. I'd like to watch them try.
    There is always THAT consolation prize.

That blowout in Foxboro was one of the most entertaining games ever

The Ravens beat the Pats twice in the playoffs in Foxboro. Should've been four if it wasn't for Cundiff and blowing two 14 point leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    That blowout in Foxboro was one of the most entertaining games ever
    Brady looked so pouty getting his ass handed to him for 4 quarters. As good as a non super bowl win you'll ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    The defense is no fluke.

Much of the challenge is not having a healthy offensive line and when Joe is pressured he tends to throw the ball up for grabs instead of out of bounds. Also, the 2009 team still had Ray and Ed providing leadership and motivation. Yes, I think that this team can make the playoffs but when a guy like Hurst who should not even be in the NFL is the starting Left Tackle due to injuries then that is going to be a problem when facing a good defense.

Anything can happen in the NFL and believe that the Ravens can make the playoffs but would not go very far.