Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: So who's contributed the most out of the rookie class this year??

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    1. And, as I said, you don't draft for depth when you don't have starters on the other side of the ball. That's a joke of an approach. Oh great we have dpeth on D, but don't even have a fucking starter on O!

2. We needed to draft playmakers. Period.

3. AGAIN, I'm so glad we invested into the defense so that they could be shielded from injury. But when the O has some injuries we go to absolute shit.
    1. Well, we did have starters on the other side of the ball... they just turned out to not be very good. Mike Wallace and Maclin are starting caliber players... its just Maclin's been hurt and Wallace plays like shit and is soft.

And realistically, this discussion about the O is about WR and WR only. Stop talking about the O like its all inclusive. Its about pass catchers. QB wasn't changing, Oline was eventually fine, and we found a waiver wire RB who could do what we wanted him to do successfully.

2. You didn't know that we had starters on defense when we drafted. There's no possible way that you had that info. Literally nobody was on here saying "yeah man we got Carr and Jimmy, we're good at Corner". In fact, its was a lot more of "we should be looking to move on from Jimmy soon, and I don't know if Carr is any good". This is why hindsight doesn't work.

3. Well yeah, you focus on depth at positions where you're most likely to have injuries. That's why we emphasized corner so much. Its why we emphasized pass rusher so much (and the fact that we didn't have a pass rush last year with the same guys who are supposed to be "starters" this year).

Every team wants playmakers. They're hard to find and even harder to keep. But playmakers aren't specific to skill positions either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I cant complain about Humphrey. Hes going to be solid.

But who are these Wormley, and Bowser kids we drafted?
    I agree that Wormley was a waste, especially with several offensive talents available, but I like Bowser. He's the kind of starting OLB material for when Suggs retires. It's only that we just cannot develop players very well. Sure some (Judon) stand out, but to waste talents like Correa and Bowser is counter-productive... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    1. Well, we did have starters on the other side of the ball... they just turned out to not be very good. Mike Wallace and Maclin are starting caliber players... its just Maclin's been hurt and Wallace plays like shit and is soft.

And realistically, this discussion about the O is about WR and WR only. Stop talking about the O like its all inclusive. Its about pass catchers. QB wasn't changing, Oline was eventually fine, and we found a waiver wire RB who could do what we wanted him to do successfully.

2. You didn't know that we had starters on defense when we drafted. There's no possible way that you had that info. Literally nobody was on here saying "yeah man we got Carr and Jimmy, we're good at Corner". In fact, its was a lot more of "we should be looking to move on from Jimmy soon, and I don't know if Carr is any good". This is why hindsight doesn't work.

3. Well yeah, you focus on depth at positions where you're most likely to have injuries. That's why we emphasized corner so much. Its why we emphasized pass rusher so much (and the fact that we didn't have a pass rush last year with the same guys who are supposed to be "starters" this year).

Every team wants playmakers. They're hard to find and even harder to keep. But playmakers aren't specific to skill positions either.
    Oline should have been emphasized with all the injuries sustained there last year. Remember the Jets game the only healthy starter was Zuttah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I cant complain about Humphrey. Hes going to be solid.

But who are these Wormley, and Bowser kids we drafted?
    I keep saying this but the Ravens could have had Kareem Hunt over Wormley.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Oline should have been emphasized with all the injuries sustained there last year. Remember the Jets game the only healthy starter was Zuttah

Right, but it turns out the FO was marginally right about their assessment... the fanbase thought the Oline was the worst they'd ever seen, and the coaching staff and FO said that we had good players on the roster already. They were right about Jensen, and Skura overall looks good.

They couldn't have anticipated that our top basically four Guards would all end up on IR, which is what happened.

Funny thing is that our areas of strength, which appear to be Center and the Tackles, are the positions I would emphasize the most after the season. Why? Because we have virtually no depth there. Interior Oline has some depth... its just unfortunate that literally all of it got hurt basically at the same time. There's normal injuries on the OLine, but its more spread out.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    I keep saying this but the Ravens could have had Kareem Hunt over Wormley.
    And with a coordinator who's not anywhere near as creative as Andy Reid and in an offense that clearly doesn't cater to his strengths, you probably wouldn't even notice Kareem Hunt here.

Biggest failed assumption a fan can ever make is watching what a player does on another team and automatically think they will do just as well on any other team.

If there's one thing we should have learned from some of our FA acquisitions in the past, its that the guy we're getting doesn't always bring the same production with him.

And with a coordinator who's not anywhere near as creative as Andy Reid and in an offense that clearly doesn't cater to his strengths, you probably wouldn't even notice Kareem Hunt here.

Biggest failed assumption a fan can ever make is watching what a player does on another team and automatically think they will do just as well on any other team.

If there's one thing we should have learned from some of our FA acquisitions in the past, its that the guy we're getting doesn't always bring the same production with him.
    Kareem Hunt would still make plays when Joe throws checkdown passes to the backs. Plus as Collins has proven a good running back will find a way to shine. Would we see the Chiefs version of Hunt? Maybe not, but he would be a difference maker on the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Kareem Hunt would still make plays when Joe throws checkdown passes to the backs. Plus as Collins has proven a good running back will find a way to shine. Would we see the Chiefs version of Hunt? Maybe not, but he would be a difference maker on the offense.
    Sure he would. I also don't think that type of difference maker would have been enough to beat Jacksonville, or Pittsburgh, or Minnesota. Not sure if it would have mattered a ton yesterday either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    A first rounder should be starting there should be no bringing him along.

Then you must think that most 1st round picks are disappointing. A good chunk of them aren't starting

Blog Entries

Marlon Humphrey. I think he's played really well. It was a good pick so far by Ozzie. Jimmy Smith is playing lights out and Brandon Carr is playing well. So there's no need to rush him into a full time role yet.

I also think Bowser was a good pick. But he's competing for time with Suggs, Judon and Z. Smith.

Blog Entries

Forget the rookie class. Look at the offensive players on rookie deals.

2014:
    3rd round TE Crockett Gillmore... how's he doing?
    4th round RB Lorenzo Taliaerro... how's he doing?
    5th round Guard John Urschel... retired
    6th round QB Keith Wenning... who?
    7th round WR Michael Campanaro... how's he doing?

2015:
    1st round WR Breshard Perriman... how's he doing?
    2nd round TE Maxx Williams... how's he doing?
    4th round RB Buck Allen... fine, I guess
    5th round TE Nick Boyle... fine, when he plays
    5th round Guard Robert Myers... who?
    6th round TE Darren Waller... how's he doing?

2016:
    1st round LT Ronnie Stanley... a good player, obviously
    4th round WR Chris Moore... how's he doing?
    4th round RB Kenneth Dixon... how's he doing?
    6th round WR Keenan Reynolds... how's he doing?

By my count, I see 9 offensive players drafted in the first 4 rounds in the last four years. That's out of 25 picks, which I agree is disproportionate. But I'm also wondering... how many of those 9 guys are actually relevant on this team right now?

I see TWO... a first round LT, and a 4th round RB who was probably closer to roster bubble than relevant coming into the season, and isn't even the best RB on the team.

I see two TEs who have given us very little, I see two WRs who have given us less than nothing, I see two RBs who have given us very little, and a lineman who's on IR.

The investment may not be sufficient, but neither is the players themselves.
    Great post.

I think some of it is scheme (dont believe Perriman is a good fit for a timing-based WCO, for example), but a much larger percentage of this is just players that aren't very good.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Hey Cole if we drafted Bowser and knowing we had Judon then why draft Bowser?

right now neither Peanut or Correa can play beside Mosley so why Bowser is not there? or even coming in on 3rd and longs and pass rushing..oh lawd this sound like correa 2.0 lol I'm not doing this again.