Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: The Offensive Line

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    They need to still draft a good top graded guard next year.. every year the ravens should take a lineman from Wisconsin or Iowa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    U n' me on the same highway!
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    Leach,

I was thinking about this last night. Hypothetically, let's assume we're only going to "spend" one pick on the o-line. While the jury is still out on them, we do have young players in Lewis, Skura, Loomie, and Goose who are all interior players. So, do you draft 1) a pure RT as Howard's eventual replacement, or 2) a guard/swing tackle prospect to take-on the Hurst role (and, to eventually replace Yanda or Howard, depending upon what turns out to be his best pro position), or 3) a pure guard to push Lewis et al and eventually replace Yanda? Also, regardless of the answer to 1,2, or 3, do you re-sign Hurst?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Well first of all, I woukd take Quenton Nelson in a heart beat if hes on the clock. I'M guessing we are picking at around 16... so if Nelson is available I am taking him. From what I've heard... the WR class is not that strong. I suppose we could end up taking a pass rusher. But Nelson would make the most sense.

You could then shift Lewis to RT to compete with Howard. That makes for a very solid line.

The wild card IMO though is taking a QB at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Well first of all, I woukd take Quenton Nelson in a heart beat if hes on the clock. I'M guessing we are picking at around 16... so if Nelson is available I am taking him. From what I've heard... the WR class is not that strong. I suppose we could end up taking a pass rusher. But Nelson would make the most sense.

You could then shift Lewis to RT to compete with Howard. That makes for a very solid line.

The wild card IMO though is taking a QB at 16.
    Getting Nelson would be ideal. Stanley-Lewis-Jensen-Yanda-Howard would be good if it all held up, but we know we cannot count on that. It would be far better to have Nelson, who would be Yanda's successor in coming years as an elite interior lineman. Lewis could compete with Howard, who might be declining. Lewis could also spell Yanda a bit, to extend the latter's quality into the twilight of his career. Given decent health, that would be a butt-kicking setup.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Is next year Yandas last here seems that's when you can cut him and save 6 million? Maybe you restructure him. He's had two pretty serious injuries the past two years.

Cool Re: The Offensive Line

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Getting Nelson would be ideal. Stanley-Lewis-Jensen-Yanda-Howard would be good if it all held up, but we know we cannot count on that. It would be far better to have Nelson, who would be Yanda's successor in coming years as an elite interior lineman. Lewis could compete with Howard, who might be declining. Lewis could also spell Yanda a bit, to extend the latter's quality into the twilight of his career. Given decent health, that would be a butt-kicking setup.
    I'm on the Nelson bandwagon too if he is available when we pick in the first. The 2nd round go for a QB unless Washington (WR) from OK State is available. Then for the 3rd round we will probably have 2 picks so go for a RB and either a QB (if Washington is picked in the 2nd) or a WR (if a QB is picked in the 2nd). Then after that, rinse and repeat (OL, RB, WR, etc.).

This is with the expectation that we will also have a new HC and staff or at least a new OC and DC!

The stuff dreams are made of!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Is next year Yandas last here seems that's when you can cut him and save 6 million? Maybe you restructure him. He's had two pretty serious injuries the past two years.

I dont think so unless ge rapidly declines in performance. The Ravena dont seem to like cutting often injured players, save Pitta who they gave like a million chances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Zuttah and Jensen aren’t even remotely the same kind of center. One is a zone blocking finesse style while the other is an anchor against big body and punch them in the face style. Such a mind numbingly stupid comparison.

And yes, Zuttah was good here for a year or two. Unfortunately the team didn’t recognize when it was time to move on early enough.

This whole thread is just a direct result of the fantasy boy getting his ego bruised in the previous thread about the Oline and Jensen.
    Their blocking styles are not the comparison at hand. Their ability is. Jensen is performing admirably in a similar manner to what Zuttah did at one point. Admirably and adequately are not what this offense needs. Especially, when you have a QB who struggles maneuvering laterally and who is most bothered by interior pressure. You need more than that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Well i suppose... but hes got Wallace and Maclin who are decent players. Joe is running out of excuses here
    Maclin has had to leave every single game so far due to being dinged up.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I think there's a more important question: will we be able to keep him? Or put another way, with our dearth of OL talent, can we afford to let him get away?
    You're right. Lord help us.

If anything, drafting issues and problems are reflected by who we have in the trenches; namely, OL and DL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Their blocking styles are not the comparison at hand. Their ability is. Jensen is performing admirably in a similar manner to what Zuttah did at one point. Admirably and adequately are not what this offense needs. Especially, when you have a QB who struggles maneuvering laterally and who is most bothered by interior pressure. You need more than that.
    Jensen is putting up the third best rating for run blocking for Center in the league. First year at the position.
    He's more than adequate.
    You hit the nail on the head without realizing it, Sword......

Flacco struggles to move laterally. Does that make Jensen the problem or Joe?

Case in point was the sack attributed to Jensen this past week. Had Joe stepped up and to his right, he could have avoided it or at the very least gave himself more time. Having a QB who has poor lateral movement is the root cause of some of the pressure and sack issues.

He's hung in with the top 4-5 centers in the league this year. With this being his first year at the position, doesn't that indicate something? He's 26. If you cannot see the upside to him, I just don't know what else to say!!
    Got to keep the loonies on the path

Blog Entries

By what measurement has Jensen been top 5?