Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Offensive Line

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    They couldn't even get a yard on fourth and one.
    No ones saying the Oline is good. They have third string Guards and now it looks like Stanley might be out so we’ll be to one 4th string guard and 2nd string tackle. Brutal. And given how bad those injuries are they have performed admirably for what they have. Still doesnt mean its good.

None of that changes that Jensen will be a starting C in this league next year, which I assume is the stupid reason you started this stupid thread because everyone made fun of you for suggesting otherwise last week.

Blog Entries

Still a lot of season left to be played Jon. Trust the Sword............unfortunately.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Because Flacco should have just plowed forward for it like any other normal team with a big QB
    10 years in the league...

I still think the OL is doing ok given the circumstances. It's one area I will give the team a pass on regarding injuries. It's not like they haven't invested resources into it. We know we can build off Jensen and Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I still think the OL is doing ok given the circumstances. It's one area I will give the team a pass on regarding injuries. It's not like they haven't invested resources into it. We know we can build off Jensen and Stanley.
    I mean, "resources" in this case would be subjective. 1st round LT and an All-Pro Guard (who's on IR) is certainly investing, but you waited until later in the offseason to sign a cut veteran RT to a pretty affordable deal, and your "depth" and inevitably starting Center and Guards are basically late round draft picks or UDFAs.

Not suggesting we should be like Cowboys-like with like 3-4 first round picks on it, but I wouldn't call this a tremendous investment.

I certainly think this line has overachieved, and there's reason for optimism, but more depth is needed in my eyes, and I still think you have to start to consider longer term options on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    I mean, "resources" in this case would be subjective. 1st round LT and an All-Pro Guard (who's on IR) is certainly investing, but you waited until later in the offseason to sign a cut veteran RT to a pretty affordable deal, and your "depth" and inevitably starting Center and Guards are basically late round draft picks or UDFAs.

Not suggesting we should be like Cowboys-like with like 3-4 first round picks on it, but I wouldn't call this a tremendous investment.

I certainly think this line has overachieved, and there's reason for optimism, but more depth is needed in my eyes, and I still think you have to start to consider longer term options on the right side.
    Sure, we can always use more depth. That's easy to say. But I think given we had 3 of the 5 positions penciled in by training camp (Stanley, Yanda, Howard) along with Jensen looking good filling in at center, you just have to count on one of Urschel, Lewis, Siragusa, Eluemunor, and even Hurst to be able to fill in that last spot and still leave you with a couple warm bodies to fill in for injuries. We put two picks into it this year, we put two picks into last year (including #6 overall), and we had veterans already on the team that should've been ready to go. If you look around the league you aren't going to see a whole lot of successful teams with more than one 1st round draft pick on the OL besides the Cowboys and Titans....whose OL haven't really been carrying them to wins this year either.

I certainly give the Oline a pass due to injuries. Some players like Skura and Hurst have been pleasant surprises in that they are competent. That being said, against good interior dlines they have struggled this year and that was again on display today. I really like what Jensen has shown. I believe the Ravens should sign him to an extension. I don't think he should get top 5 C money. He is not that good yet. He had an awful day today but has been good otherwise this season.

Even with the Oline getting a pass it still impacts the rest of the offense negatively. Having both Gs being weak is tough to overcome because it allows for inside pressure and collapsing of the pocket and an inconsistent run game. The Ravens really needed to be able to run the ball consistently this year and current players make that tough to do.

Blog Entries

This happens to every team from time to time... that is also a very good front they were up against. You cant use this game as a valid excuse for your narrative. The titans solid OL didnt get much done against us either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This happens to every team from time to time... that is also a very good front they were up against. You cant use this game as a valid excuse for your narrative. The titans solid OL didnt get much done against us either.
    They did when they weren't in ball control mode. See the last drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

did the Oline make flacco sleep walk to the LOS when Harbaugh when screaming at Joe to hurry his ass up on tv?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Because Flacco should have just plowed forward for it like any other normal team with a big QB
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    10 years in the league...
    It's kind of remarkable how bad Flacco has been at sneaks, for his entire career. With his size I would have expected those to be gimme's for him. And when he was younger he ran pretty well too. But has never been productive with the sneak.

Tom Brady, who is much smaller, was devastating with the sneak (not so much now that he's a million years old).

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I still think the OL is doing ok given the circumstances. It's one area I will give the team a pass on regarding injuries.
    I agree. The lack of success on offense isn't on the coordinator and other assistant coaches. We've schemed pretty ok this season. The personnel just isn't there.

And the QB is terrible, too. Honestly, upgrading Flacco would make a far bigger impact on this offense than changing any assistant coaches.