Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: James Hurst Trend

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I must admit I was wrong about him. Something clicked this year. Good for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan55 View Post
    Hurst is one of the few bright spots/pleasant surprises on this years team. Shocking but true.
    IMO he only looks good by comparison to the other under-performing OL guys and to his previous awful play. I'm not saying he hasn't risen to decent back-up status, but not to a starter you can depend upon for a whole season though... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Nothing is funnier than a message board member boasting how they are the smartest person in the room ( when your in the same room as the rest of us). Flat out hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    If you knew me bro you would know I am the least biast person you would ever meet.
    I have no comment on Hurst, but I found this funny. Apparently not quite as funny as boasting about being the smartest, but still funny.

One thing about Hurst that I discussed on this week's podcast is that he's fallen prey to "ugly duckling" status. Specifically, he was a very bad tackle who has played well at guard. The Tennessee game was a microcosm where he had a holding penalty in just 11 snaps at LT, but no negative events in 65 snaps at guard.

I expect Hurst to start at guard somewhere in the NFL next season, but if I were either his agent or the team signing him, I would deemphasize value as a swing player because he's never had consistent success at tackle. He's a pretty good guard and he should want his performance there to be the basis of any future projection of his contributions.

Hurst is not in Kelechi Osemele's class as a player, but Osemele benefited from the fact the Ravens played him at tackle only 20 games (16 as a rookie and 4 more in his final year with the Ravens) before realizing he was a huge asset at guard. When McKinnie was finally inserted for the struggling Oher at LT for the 2012 playoffs (kicking Oher to RT and Osemele to LG), the Ravens improved significantly at 2 positions and Osemele became the next great Ravens guard.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 11-11-2017 at 03:50 AM.

I also find it interesting the Ravens interior OL, which has suffered a crippling set of injuries and a retirement has performed so well. It gives me some confidence the team has good OL coaching in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    One thing about Hurst that I discussed on this week's podcast is that he's fallen prey to "ugly duckling" status. Specifically, he was a very bad tackle who has played well at guard. The Tennessee game was a microcosm where he had a holding penalty in just 11 snaps at LT, but no negative events in 65 snaps at guard.

I expect Hurst to start at guard somewhere in the NFL next season, but if I were either his agent or the team signing him, I would deemphasize value as a swing player because he's never had consistent success at tackle. He's a pretty good guard and he should want his performance there to be the basis of any future projection of his contributions.

Hurst is not in Kelechi Osemele's class as a player, but Osemele benefited from the fact the Ravens played him at tackle only 20 games (16 as a rookie and 4 more in his final year with the Ravens) before realizing he was a huge asset at guard. When McKinnie was finally inserted for the struggling Oher at LT for the 2012 playoffs (kicking Oher to RT and Osemele to LG), the Ravens improved significantly at 2 positions and Osemele became the next great Ravens guard.
    why dod you think it took ravens so long to figure out KO is an all pro G vs jag T?
    us fans saw this way before the FO, even local scouts that read stuff online with shot credibility

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    why dod you think it took ravens so long to figure out KO is an all pro G vs jag T?
    us fans saw this way before the FO, even local scouts that read stuff online with shot credibility
    There were 2 factors pushing hard for Osemele to stay at tackle:

1. Osemele wasn't a BAD RT and the Ravens wanted him to succeed there because a top tackle is more difficult to find than a top guard and you need to fight the trend to push tackles inside to preserve some value.
    2. McKinnie was (justifiably) in Harbaugh's doghouse, so he sat for the entire regular season

Offsetting these 2 factors was the abysmal play of Michael Oher at LT. By playoff time, the need to get Oher out of that spot was too great to put off on principle, so they made the 3-way switch which led to SB XLVII.

Blog Entries

I'm sure he will start some where. I just saw AQ Shipley starting for the Cardinals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I'm sure he will start some where. I just saw AQ Shipley starting for the Cardinals

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wasn't he somehow good last year or the year before too? I don't get it.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    There were 2 factors pushing hard for Osemele to stay at tackle:

1. Osemele wasn't a BAD RT and the Ravens wanted him to succeed there because a top tackle is more difficult to find than a top guard and you need to fight the trend to push tackles inside to preserve some value.
    2. McKinnie was (justifiably) in Harbaugh's doghouse, so he sat for the entire regular season

Offsetting these 2 factors was the abysmal play of Michael Oher at LT. By playoff time, the need to get Oher out of that spot was too great to put off on principle, so they made the 3-way switch which led to SB XLVII.
    thanks film. this might have been the best decision harbs ever made

Given the overall level of quality among NFL O linemen, Hurst is viable as at least a reserve G/RT. We don't need him though, we have so much proven depth. <SARCASM>
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.