Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

James Hurst Trend

Hurst: James Hurst has been playing well for 4 weeks now. He was bulled by Griffen for a QH shared with Jensen (Q2, 11:28) for his only pass rush event allowed. He shared a penetration when Joseph penetrated across his face to blow up Collins for a loss of 1 (Q3, 6:11). He had 2 blocks in level 2 and converted 3 of 4 pulls (now 17 of 20 over the last 4 games). He did not have a highlight or pancake as I scored it.

Scoring: 64 plays, 59 blocks, 3 missed, 1/2 penetration, ½ QH, 56.5 points (.88 per play). After adjustment that’s a A. Given his last month’s play, Hurst will have a job somewhere in the NFL next season by virtue of the value he brings as a swingman. If he continues at or near his current level of play for the rest of the season, I expect that job will be as a starting guard. I don’t want to minimize the effort required by James to elevate his game, but this must also be cited as a victory for the Ravens coaches Joe D’Alessandris and Greg Roman who have extracted much more than could reasonably have been expected form a patchwork offensive line.

Assuming both Lewis and Siragusa come back healthy and Hurst doesn't get resigned, we could be looking at a low round comp pick depending on where he signs.

Re: James Hurst Trend

Very nice. Many weeks in camp/PS was he working at OG? No too many right?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Hopefully it continues.

Would allow them to focus on drafting a RT. Hurst could maybe be the depth guy we need.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

why when I feel like I watch the game these stats just don't look like it?

Blog Entries

He will be a starter next year in the NFL; probably at guard. Also probably on another team

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He will be a starter next year in the NFL; probably at guard. Also probably on another team
    Rwt, it wasn't too long ago that we thought Hurst's career was hanging by a thread... Bc

Blog Entries

At this point if I was the GM I'd be inclined to keep him (at reasonable cost) if for no other reason than he's been pretty much the only lineman they've had on the roster the last four years that hasn't dealt with some type of injury. With the rate this team gets hurt that's a good quality to have. Of course, what would probably happen is they'd sign him and he'd blow out his knee in OTAs just because.

Blog Entries

I think he’ll get a pay day from somewhere else I’m cool with keeping him Hurst been holding up at guard but against bigger DTs he struggles on the bull rush. It would be nice to have decent depth though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    why when I feel like I watch the game these stats just don't look like it?
    Stats lie in team games. The more players you have, the more they lie.

Same reason our defense statistically has been good for years, but has been trash when you watch.
    Same reason people will defend our line play the past several years when it has clearly been average at best to below average
    Same reason people will defend our playmakers in the past and present

Stats in a vacuum lack context, Particularly if you aren't routinely watching other teams play
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I pray to god Hurst is gone next year. Never been a fan, never liked his play.

I don't care what bar graph anyone pops into this thread. If James Hurst is listed as a starter on your depth chart your team has problems.

Hurst is terrible.

Drafting a starting guard and RT is immediate priority

I like good news. Time to be positive about something!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Rwt, it wasn't too long ago that we thought Hurst's career was hanging by a thread... Bc
    Yes it was. It wasn't too long ago (summer) I was saying Jensen is likely center and people were losing their minds. He's worked out ok

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!