Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: James Hurst Trend

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Hurst has improved. And is.playing above his draft selection.

Perriman is an abject failure... he hasn't lived up to a 4th round fullback production let alone a round 1 franchise wr

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Perriman has not lived up to first round status. I wasnt a fan of the pick at the time, he hasnt really changed that opinion. That said, Im not looking at him based on draft value anymore, im just looking at him as a player. Cant take away last year. as a 3rd WR he put up 30/500 and thats solid production. As bad as our offense is this year, its hard for me to say thats the aberration, when Maclin and Wallace are also struggling this year. Thats all. You wont get an argument from me that he wasnt worthy of a first rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_NY View Post
    I agree. I put it at a 70 percent chance we draft a lineman in the first round. He'd be very good depth
    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Hurst was signed in 2014 as an UDFA. IIRC he was pretty well thought of, but no team spent a draft choice on him. He has improved some, but after three years IMO he hasn't developed into a starter anywhere on the Oline. I think he's a decent back-up, but if he leaves in 2018 I won't shed a tear... Bc

Hurst was graded as high as a 2nd rounder by some, but most had him in the mid rounds. I believe it was a broken leg that had him fall out of the draft. He was very good fundamentally coming out of NC. HE was a player I think you knew what you were getting, but there wasnt a high ceiling.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...rst?id=2543623

I mean this pretty much nails exactly what weve seen. Hes been alright at LT when he has a strong LG (KO). he played well at RT. Hes played even better inside. Hes good enough to be a starter somewhere, but if he leaves i have a feeling people will quickly see his value.
    -JAB

Link

Baltimore Ravens: Over the last calendar year, Marshal Yanda has a pass-blocking efficiency of 99.51 when lined up at left guard, which is by far the best for left guards. The Ravens current left guard James Hurst is sixth-best at 97.51.

Hurst: James split his time between LG (65 snaps) and LT (11). His only negative event was a holding flag when he was beaten outside by Orakpo (Q3, 7:43). The play is a perfect example of the additional negative impact of the option created by that flag. Had the pass been completed for a conversion, it would have been -10 yards with no loss of down (the best possible result). Since the Titans felt the loss of 1 was a better outcome, they declined. That optionality is the reason I have not made changes to charges that are more severe for penalties than other systems. He missed 8 blocks, included 3 marked slip or L2NB (moved to level 2 and made no block), 2 where he did not provide needed help on a pass block, and 3 others where he was beaten, but the play did not result in a pass rush event or run for loss. Hurst again made all 4 of his pulls (up to 28 of his last 34).

Scoring: 76 plays, 67 blocks, 8 missed, 1 offensive holding, 61 points (.80 per play). After adjustment that’s a B. However, he did not have any negative scores at LG and would have scored a low A.
    Seriously either we re-sign him at a modest contract and allow him to compete or he fetches the team a nice comp pick. Unlike Alex Lewis, Hurst has managed to stay healthy and has continued to trend upward even while Stanley had an off game. Plus he's only 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Seriously either we re-sign him at a modest contract and allow him to compete or he fetches the team a nice comp pick. Unlike Alex Lewis, Hurst has managed to stay healthy and has continued to trend upward even while Stanley had an off game. Plus he's only 25.
    Young, but experienced; healthy, position flexible, solid performer at G, and performance trending upward. Sounds like this is a guy we can use -- at least as a solid backup.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Hurst is becoming the player that was once touted, it took awhile is all. Better late than out of the league or playing in Canada. The Ravens bore the weight of the investment, I say KEEP, if the price is right. The OL should not be a major rebuild luckily, focus on play makers. It's almost a luxury, and as one person stated, he generally stays healthy. Good trend indeed.

The Ravens 3 year program of developing O lineman can be maddening. I don't want to watch more of that. Invest in offense, keep the upward trending guys, and layoff the massive D investing.
    Last edited by alienstar; 11-10-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    Hurst is becoming the player that was once touted, it took awhile is all. Better late than out of the league or playing in Canada. The Ravens bore the weight of the investment, I say KEEP, if the price is right. The OL should not be a major rebuild luckily, focus on play makers. It's almost a luxury, and as one person stated, he generally stays healthy. Good trend indeed.

The Ravens 3 year program of developing O lineman can be maddening. I don't want to watch more of that. Invest in offense, keep the upward trending guys, and layoff the massive D investing.
    An actual good dynamic WR and TE would be a nice start. Even Maclin and Wallace are middle road talent. How bout just one good player you can hang your weary hats on. We've none. Zero. Zilch. Is it any wonder JVF isn't lighting it up. Keep the Fn line together as its one of the not so much disasters on offense. But u know, let's buy a notable D lineman in FA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    why when I feel like I watch the game these stats just don't look like it?
    Because these stats can't capture the essence of an individual's performance and it's impact on the game. As someone else mentioned, they struggle even more so with more moving parts.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

He's still a shit sandwich, he's just not a soggy one.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I must admit I was wrong about him. Something clicked this year. Good for him.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Hurst is one of the few bright spots/pleasant surprises on this years team. Shocking but true.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    He's still a shit sandwich, he's just not a soggy one.
    LOL Ex, well put. We've seen him suck so bad, that when he rises to average he looks good by contrast. Let us not be fooled... Bc

I've mentioned this before, but I think Hurst will end up as a Journeyman guard/swing tackle. He's not great, but teams will sign him as a bandaid until they can draft a younger more talented player to take over. He will likely bounce around a bit from team to team because of this. He could still have a solid career overall.