Page 236 of 880 FirstFirst ... 234235236237238 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,832 of 10553

Re: The Movies/TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Yeah movies don’t ‘hog’ up the theaters anymore in the age of the super multiplex
    You're right, I think bhc said it better "hogging up all the horror dollars."

If IT, Childs Play, and Pet Sematary all came out at the same time IT would crush the other two for the first two weeks and they would be in second run theaters by week three due to poor turnouts. The movies at least have a chance to make a better return being the only horror movie out at the time.

Maybe it’s all crap cause you aren’t 13 - 18 anymore
    This is probably more true than most would like to believe.

I also loved all that shit and watched almost exclusively MTV & ESPN from 12-18 (target demo).

Once I was out of HS it was really hard to watch (both station really, although ESPN stuck around a bit longer), most likely due to me not being part of the target demo any longer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post

If IT, Childs Play, and Pet Sematary all came out at the same time IT would crush the other two for the first two weeks and they would be in second run theaters by week three due to poor turnouts. The movies at least have a chance to make a better return being the only horror movie out at the time.
    Yup. The equivalent would have been DC releasing Shazam and Fox releasing X-Men: Dark Phoenix all on the the same weekend as Endgame came out. Shazam for example did pretty good releasing between Captain Marvel and Endgame, but it would have gotten crushed if it released the same date as either of those, and it arguably would have done better if it had been held for a little longer.

You could argue they aren't doing Child's Play any favors by releasing alongside Toy Story 4, but generally I don't think the audiences overlap for the two, not like it would if it were another horror movie as hotly anticipated as IT 2 is.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

This is probably more true than most would like to believe.

I also loved all that shit and watched almost exclusively MTV & ESPN from 12-18 (target demo).

Once I was out of HS it was really hard to watch (both station really, although ESPN stuck around a bit longer), most likely due to me not being part of the target demo any longer.
    MTV started to suck when they stopped putting awesome stuff like this out there.

That’s going to an extreme. You’ve got a good month to release ‘halloween’ related movies. Heck there is even a Friday the 13th in September, so that gives them even more time
    If they are using that they are miscalculating

That’s going to an extreme. You’ve got a good month to release ‘halloween’ related movies. Heck there is even a Friday the 13th in September, so that gives them even more time
    I don't think its that extreme.

I would guess (please correct me if you have data) that the average movie goer sees 1 movie a month. It's probably lower than this though, 12 movies a year seems high for a yearly average.

If all three movies came out in the same month, there would be the same issue. I agree with you that the Friday the 13th in Sept. throws a wrinkle there that would extend the "Horror month", but that is the date that IT comes out. So Id say Sept is a wash for Horror movies other than IT.

Then we have:

Oct. 4 - The Joker
    Are you afraid of the Dark? (Didn't know there was a movie on the way)

Oct 11 - Zombieland 2

Oct 18 - The Addams Family

Nothing else listed between Oct 18 and Nov 1.

Childs Play & Pet Sematary were not going to compete with any of this. Both movies did the right thing coming out as the only horror movie in theaters at the time.
    Last edited by cjandrze; 06-18-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Yeah I guess so but still for me I think it would do better overall in sales. Excited to see IT chapter 2.

I thought last night watching the MTV Movie Awards would be enjoyable but it was just god awful. What a shit show they turned that into. This used to be the best awards show on TV and its just so ridiculously bad its not funny. Back in the 90s and early 2000's it was great.

Avengers End game only received 1 award and I think only 1 nomination the entire night.
    The MTV Video Music Awards were amazing from about 1995-2001

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I haven't watched MTV probably since I was in high school in the early 2000's. That use to be ALL I watched. Real World, Road Rules, TRL, Fear, Cribs, the Osbournes, Undressed, etc. They had some great stuff during that time period where I was like 13-18 lol. It's mostly garbage from what I understand now.
    I loved Undressed! Lol

I still watch The Challenge, but it helps that they still have some competitors in their 30s. This last season also got back to the show's roots with storylines more focused on the competition and strategy vs. drunk drama

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    The MTV Video Music Awards were amazing from about 1995-2001

Id take that back to 1993.

Quentin getting up there all surly after winning best movie for Pulp Fiction:

"You know its nice to be nominated for awards, but its great to finally win one after losing continuously to a fucking retard on a bench (Forrest Gump)."

I died laughing at 12 years old, lol.

1992 was a FANTASTIC year for movies.

"You know its nice to be nominated for awards, but its great to finally win one after losing continuously to a fucking retard on a bench (Forrest Gump)."

Haha damn I missed that one. That is funny though, and I love both of those movies

Nerding out: Shawshank, Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, Lion King etc..were all 1994. :)

Blog Entries

I can assure you from my time in the industry that studios do factor in what else is releasing on or around their movie when determining a release date and it's really not extreme. The first IT movie grossed 2/3 of a billion dollars. It was massive. Chapter 2 will have been anticipated for two years by the time it comes out. It's going to crush everything for probably close to a month.

Anyway, I agree with cj again, these remakes/rehashes are not going to compete with the stuff lined up for Halloween time. Pet Sematary didn't do well even being released in April.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52