Page 333 of 880 FirstFirst ... 331332333334335 ... LastLast
Results 3,985 to 3,996 of 10552
    Blog Entries

Re: The Movies/TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Where are you watching?
    It's on CBS All Access. Same as Star Trek Discovery (which is also good although much like I said about Picard - it's only Star Trek in name). I'm a cord cutter so I had the CBS sub to watch Ravens games.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I think it would be hilarious to see someone film a documentary on the topic of Will Smith (Same character in every movie) topic. I also feel Adam Sandler is that way. Every role is basically the same.
    Smith doesn't have a big range because he's, well Will Smith. He can do serious roles but he really can't do bad guys (which is fine, many actors can't) but yeah, he's Will Smith in all of them.

If you want to focus the discussion to talk about black leads, one guy I'm really digging right now is Yahya Abdul Mateen. Dude has a range. His turn in Black Mirror and as Dr. Manhattan were excellent. He did comedy pretty will in a very bad movie -> Bay Watch.

On the female side I'm really liking Issa Rae. Very fresh.

That's my fingernail just scratching the surface on this topic. Talent is talent so no need really to partition.

Lol, probably just an excuse for me to give them a shout out because I think they are both excellent and watched them both in shows/movies this week.

Blog Entries

I would stand by my opinion having seen most of Smith's catalog. Not saying anything about his marketability or drawing power. When I watch his films I see Will Smith playing the role, I don't see the role he's trying to play. For me it breaks the 4th wall and doesn't allow me to become immersed into almost anything he's done. Compare to something like Joker and watching that it's not like here's Joaquin Phoenix playing Joker, you feel like he is the Joker. So that's where Will Smith movies tend to not work for me. He's obviously had a ton of success so I'm not in the majority with that feeling, and that's okay. Every movie is not for everyone.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    If you want to focus the discussion to talk about black leads, one guy I'm really digging right now is Yahya Abdul Mateen. Dude has a range. His turn in Black Mirror and as Dr. Manhattan were excellent. He did comedy pretty will in a very bad movie -> Bay Watch.

On the female side I'm really liking Issa Rae. Very fresh.
    I like Sterling K. Brown who plays Randall on This Is Us and has won awards for it. He was in Frozen 2 recently as well, not sure what else. Great actor. Michael B. Jordan, of course. Anthony Mackie, Giancarlo Esposito, and I pretty much love anything Dwayne Johnson does (he is very similar to Will Smith in playing similar roles for every film, although he has improved a lot in recent years)...women side, not as many off the top of my head but Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira are great.
    back on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Right so I just provided three roles that we’re different.
    We should all be so lucky to have our movies flop so much that they brought it 7 billion dollars. And that our acting is soooo limited to get nominated for 2 oscars.
    You don’t have to like Smith, But let’s try and be a little realistic about his ability.
    You can provide 20 roles he played in movies.

The same problem persists that he plays the same character (himself) in damn near all of them.

I have never seen Bagger Vance or Concussion so I cannot speak on those.

Alot of bad movies make a ton of money. People have some strange tastes. There are people that love A clockwork orange (Me its just a disgusting weird movie).
    Some people love Fast and the Furious. To me they are just lousy movies with car chases.

He has made a career off his name no denying that. So has Adam Sandler. So had David Spade. All guys who have that same thing surrounding them that alot of their roles its the same character over and over

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would stand by my opinion having seen most of Smith's catalog. Not saying anything about his marketability or drawing power. When I watch his films I see Will Smith playing the role, I don't see the role he's trying to play. For me it breaks the 4th wall and doesn't allow me to become immersed into almost anything he's done. Compare to something like Joker and watching that it's not like here's Joaquin Phoenix playing Joker, you feel like he is the Joker. So that's where Will Smith movies tend to not work for me. He's obviously had a ton of success so I'm not in the majority with that feeling, and that's okay. Every movie is not for everyone.
    I agree with everything you said. Dont get me wrong, I have enjoyed Will Smith at times. His role in Bad boys was really funny at times. I still say his #1 best role was Enemy of the State.

Another actor who has that same feel is Vin Diesel. Every time I watch a movie of his I feel the same way.

I like Sterling K. Brown who plays Randall on This Is Us and has won awards for it. He was in Frozen 2 recently as well, not sure what else. Great actor. Michael B. Jordan, of course. Anthony Mackie, Giancarlo Esposito, and I pretty much love anything Dwayne Johnson does (he is very similar to Will Smith in playing similar roles for every film, although he has improved a lot in recent years)...women side, not as many off the top of my head but Lupita Nyong'o and Danai Gurira are great.
    Brown was great in People vs OJ and recently Mrs. Maisel (smaller role). Great actor

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have not see much of This is Us. My wife has watched all of that. Brown plays and adopted kid or something like that? I have not seen enough to evaluate him in it but I imagined it must have been a tough role to pull off. Giancarlo Esposito created possibly the biggest cerebral badass antihero of all time in Breaking Bad. Really, his Gus Fring is just so interesting, believable and formidable. I think Lupita Nyong'o is cute as a button and was really impressed with her turn in Us. Jordan Peele has an eye for great and up and coming actors. The guy that played the father in Us, Winston Duke was just excellent as the goofy dad. Writing has some to do with it but he just nailed that goofy dad vibe. I think Yahya is going to be all over the place here soon. Guy is excellent. I'm glad he seems to be picking interesting work too and not crap.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 01-28-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCityRaven View Post
    There is going to be a tie in between the show and the next movie. They’re being hush hush about it though.

If you do decide to watch them all, go in order of release your first time through.
    Not a fan of sabre order?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Anyone watch What If on Netflix? Neo-noir thriller, def my style. Renee Zellweger. Only 2 in but I'm hooked

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Anyone watch What If on Netflix? Neo-noir thriller, def my style. Renee Zellweger. Only 2 in but I'm hooked

Does she look like Renee Zellweger again after completely f'ing up her face? For a while there she looked weird as sh**.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Does she look like Renee Zellweger again after completely f'ing up her face? For a while there she looked weird as sh**.
    Lol you can still tell she's had work done, but I think she looks good in the show