Page 331 of 880 FirstFirst ... 329330331332333 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,972 of 10552

Re: The Movies/TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Not to be different or contrary but I did not like Joker. I am a fan of the M Night Shyamalan universe of Unbreakable, Split, Glass so I thought a more reality based, gritty super hero/villain origin story would be right up my alley.

I thought it was depressing, cringy and kind of boring. It was like Joaquin Phoenix playing Deniro playing Joker (i.e. channeling a little Taxi driver and a little Max Cady in Cape Fear). He was more pathetic than sympathetic and his arc into empowered bad guy from put upon schmuck was not that enjoyable. I think it had the potential to be though so in that sense it was disappointing.

I will say having given the HBO Watchmen series another whirl as a result of USMC's thoughts on it I'm really enjoying that and very glad I did.

I may watch Joker again but the movie makes me feel like I just woke up after a night of doing shots and smoking a pack of cigarettes. Just gross.
    I do enjoy some of Shymalans movies but he has made some really lousy ones too.
    Unbreakable was very good. Glass though fell way short. I did not like it much at all

my opinion his best are (Sixth sense, Unbreakable, The Village, Signs, Split )

Then there are some lousy movies like (Last air bender, glass, lady in the water, after earth

Blog Entries

Despite how great I thought it was, it's not a movie I would watch more than like once a year, I'll say that. I haven't bought it on 4K yet and will probably wait until Black Friday to do so and watch it again. It's like a Schindler's List or The Pianist...great movies but not something that I care to watch often.

I got my wife to watch some of Full Metal Jacket last night. She hates war movies (they make her really, really sad...we tried Saving Private Ryan once and made it about 5 minutes) so I was surprised she let me leave it on. She got interested in the beginning when R Lee Ermey does his walk around the barracks and managed to make it all the way to the part where Joker syncs back up with Cowboy and his squad, and then the dude takes the hat off the dead VC, which is when it became too much for her. Seemed like she wanted to finish it so we'll see if she can make it through the rest. I'm skeptical that she'll last through the sniper scenes at the end and the slow motion kills.

It had been a long time since I watched it and I forgot how great it was. It's also so similar in style to The Shining, which would make sense given they are both Kubrick movies. Will have to watch Clockwork Orange again sometime soon.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I do enjoy some of Shymalans movies but he has made some really lousy ones too.
    Unbreakable was very good. Glass though fell way short. I did not like it much at all

my opinion his best are (Sixth sense, Unbreakable, The Village, Signs, Split )

Then there are some lousy movies like (Last air bender, glass, lady in the water, after earth
    I loved Signs. I agree he has made some bad ones. The mermaid one was bad. Glass was a bit of a letdown but because I love James Macavoy's beast, and all those other crazy characters so much it was worth it. Unbreakable was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Despite how great I thought it was, it's not a movie I would watch more than like once a year, I'll say that. I haven't bought it on 4K yet and will probably wait until Black Friday to do so and watch it again. It's like a Schindler's List or The Pianist...great movies but not something that I care to watch often.

I got my wife to watch some of Full Metal Jacket last night. She hates war movies (they make her really, really sad...we tried Saving Private Ryan once and made it about 5 minutes) so I was surprised she let me leave it on. She got interested in the beginning when R Lee Ermey does his walk around the barracks and managed to make it all the way to the part where Joker syncs back up with Cowboy and his squad, and then the dude takes the hat off the dead VC, which is when it became too much for her. Seemed like she wanted to finish it so we'll see if she can make it through the rest. I'm skeptical that she'll last through the sniper scenes at the end and the slow motion kills.

It had been a long time since I watched it and I forgot how great it was. It's also so similar in style to The Shining, which would make sense given they are both Kubrick movies. Will have to watch Clockwork Orange again sometime soon.

I was watching Full Metal Jacket last night. Fucking love that movie especially the opening scene. R Lee Ermey was awesome. He actually played a ghost version of that character in The Frightners movie. Sucks he died. I was given the nickname drill sergeant from some old co workers who used to say I reminded them of that character. lol

Regarding you wanting to watch Clockwork Orange again. That movie is beyond screwed up. Lousy movie. That kind of shock and awe garbage does nothing for me. I know it has kind of a cult like following but I just dont get it.

On the topic of Full Metal Jacket. Lead actor Matt Modine. I was just thinking about a movie I have not watched since the 90's I think that I was looking at buying on EBAY.

Movie (And the Band played on) about the Aids epidemic. Really good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I am still partial to Heath LEdgers version. He just seemed more bad ass menacing than actually mentally insane which I just enjoyed better.
    Such a shame he died before I could even receive the credit he deserved
    Completely agree. While Phoenix's Joker was awesome, i feel like he was more awesome in the dramatic sense, but Ledger's Joker was awesome just overall and had a better flare. Although i loved Phoenix's Joker scene on the talk show, brilliant.

I took Joker as a stand-alone movie not connected to any other DC media. And I agree with you, it was fantastic and one of my favorite films last year. I truly hope they don’t ruin it with a sequel.
    I dont know, id be pretty interested in a sequel because i think it would be about him wreaking havoc rather than us learning about how he became who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post

I will say having given the HBO Watchmen series another whirl as a result of USMC's thoughts on it I'm really enjoying that and very glad I did.

I may watch Joker again but the movie makes me feel like I just woke up after a night of doing shots and smoking a pack of cigarettes. Just gross.
    Glad to hear you gave it another shot and it paid off. Definitely something out of the norm that i watched and still enjoyed it.

I get what you mean about feeling gross after watching the Joker. It's depressing. Even though i love American History X, i cant remember the last time i watched it. Just so shitty in a lot of ways

Got to meet R Lee Ermey numerous times when i was in, awesome dude and remembered me each time which shocked the hell out of me.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Watched Primal last night, the movie with Nicholas Cage on boat with exotic animals and a mercenary on the loose. It's not good, as expected, but i was hoping it would be a Con Air type of not good, like you enjoy it for all the over the top stuff. There was nothing to like about it until the credits rolled
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Watching Picard right now. It’s not bad. It’s not Star Trek, but it isn’t bad for what it is. I’m enjoying it.

Blog Entries

Has she ever watched Band if Brothers? Great series but tha baseball scene towards the end always makes me sad.

Watching Picard right now. It’s not bad. It’s not Star Trek, but it isn’t bad for what it is. I’m enjoying it.
    Never could get into Star Trek.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Never could get into Star Trek.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Me either and i crave for space exploration type movies. But im more into Interstellar, The Martian, Prometheus. I feel like Star Trek is a more serious Guardians of the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Has she ever watched Band if Brothers? Great series but tha baseball scene towards the end always makes me sad.
    Band of Brothers is one of the greatest series ever made. The Pacific was good, but as much as it pains me to say its no where near as good.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Me either and i crave for space exploration type movies. But im more into Interstellar, The Martian, Prometheus. I feel like Star Trek is a more serious Guardians of the Galaxy
    I prefer Science Fiction to Science Fantasy myself. Those three movies you just listed are probably among my favorites. The original Alien did a nice job capturing what long distance commercial space flight might feel like even though it was done back in 79.

You should try Europa Report. That was a pretty good movie.