Page 432 of 880 FirstFirst ... 430431432433434 ... LastLast
Results 5,173 to 5,184 of 10552
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: OT - The Movies/TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

It's my #2, edged out by a whisker by Hitchcock's North by Northwest.

Kids today are missing out on the quality directing, writing, and acting of the movies and TV shows late 1930s - early 1960s era.
    Mista T, I think you'll enjoy this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIY7BQkbIT8

... Bc

Blog Entries

Re: OT - The Movies/TV thread

So I'm 34, I wouldn't say Casablanca was the most exciting movie out there by any means but I always try to put myself in the time period when stuff was made. Can still appreciate the acting and story and the foundation these movies laid for the future even if they are a little on the slow side.

We watched Six Days, Seven Nights with Harrison Ford and Anne Heche on Saturday. Pretty run of the mill mid-late 90's romantic comedy, I enjoyed it although far from one of Ford's best movies.

We also watched Stuber which I would love to say was good but it's not. It's not awful and there are some laughs to be had but overall it is completely forgettable, confirmed by the fact that I had to look at my recently watched to remember I watched it. A movie led by Batista and Kumail Nanjiani should have been a lot better/funnier than this was. It needed to lean heavier into the comedy aspects and less into the action.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

It's my #2, edged out by a whisker by Hitchcock's North by Northwest.
    Not uncommon for me to harken to NNW when Harbaugh goes for it on fourth down or attempts a fake FG: “You and your dopey schemes.”

https://www.carygrant.net/wavs/north.html

Another quote that gets heavy use in every day life comes from the auction scene. In particular, the woman's reply when Grant asks “How do we know it's not a fake?”

For those not in the know

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEv7cVW8hBA

It's a great movie. Not only does it seem that every scene advances the movie and characters, but the movie is just wonderful to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    For those not in the know

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEv7cVW8hBA

It's a great movie. Not only does it seem that every scene advances the movie and characters, but the movie is just wonderful to look at.
    North By Northwest is widely considered the first "James Bond" movie: that is, the prototype for the adventure movie featuring the dapper spy travelling around the world and getting himself out of tight situations; and into other tight situations with ladies. The template for the James Bond movies.

Not a big fan of Casablanca. I guess part of that is because I’m not a huge bogart fan. Let’s be honest though, he is mediocre in it. Bergman shines which gives the film some interest, buts it’s a run of the mill doomed romance film that happened to come out at the right time

Blog Entries

What is the most bizarre movie you watched?

...mine is Perfume
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

...mine is Perfume
    Naked lunch

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Not a big fan of Casablanca. I guess part of that is because I’m not a huge bogart fan. Let’s be honest though, he is mediocre in it. Bergman shines which gives the film some interest, buts it’s a run of the mill doomed romance film that happened to come out at the right time
    Just watched it last night! Claude Rains tap-dances thru it from beginning to end. He's a fresh breeze, every scene he's in.

It's more than a doomed romance, of course. It's a call to action; a metaphor for American involvement in the war; and an origin story for Renault & Rick, the intrepid heroes of the Free French battles against Rommel in Africa. Brazzaville! Or something like that.

Subtle note: Bogie is a little more spontaneous in his interactions with his staff (Emil the croupier running the roulette table, Sascha the Russian bartender, Carl the waiter) than in the "main" scenes. He cracks smiles in response to their comments etc.

I read on Wikipedia last night, during shooting of the "duel of the anthems" sequence, many of the actors were crying between takes or choking up while shooting. A ton of emigres and refugees in minor roles thruout the cast: only three of the credited cast were born in the US (Bogie, Sam, and the young wife whose husband Bogie lets win).
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 08-10-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Just watched it last night! Claude Rains tap-dances thru it from beginning to end. He's a fresh breeze, every scene he's in.

It's more than a doomed romance, of course. It's a call to action; a metaphor for American involvement in the war; and an origin story for Renault & Rick, the intrpid heroes of the Free French batteles against Rommel in Africa. Brazzaville! Or something like that.

Subtle note: Bogie is a little more spontaneous in his interactions with his staff (Emil the croupier running the roulette table, Sascha the Russian bartender, Carl the waiter) than in the "main" scenes. He cracks smiles in response to their comments etc.

I read on Wikipedia last night, during shooting of the "duel of the anthems" sequence, many of the actors were crying between takes or choking up while shooting. A ton of emigres and refugees in minor roles thruout the cast: only three of the credited cast were born in the US (Bogie, Sam, and the young wife whose husband Bogie lets win).
    Like I said a film that came out at the right time as us goes to war in North Africa. It captured the time, doesn’t mean it holds up years later.
    I heard bogie had trouble with his girlfriend (or wife) who was jealous of Bergman and thought they were having an affair, which could be why he seems better with the side characters

Blog Entries

Another Bogie film about WWII, made in 1943. It's called "Sahara." Storyline :

Sergeant Joe Gunn and his tank crew pick up five British soldiers, a Frenchman and a Sudanese man with an Italian prisoner crossing the Libyan Desert to rejoin their command after the fall of Tobruk. They and the Germans are greatly in need of water.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036323/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3

I've seen it several times and it still holds up today. I give it a ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post

...mine is Perfume
    It was my absolute favorite movie of last year - The Lighthouse - my thoughts elsewhere in this thread, not for everyone by any means, carried by otherworldly performances by Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson as lighthouse caretakers. Shot in 1.19:1 black and white. The less you know going in, the better. If you like weird shit, this is it lol.

HM:
    Gummo
    Rubber
    Midsommar
    Creep
    Being John Malkovich

I have not watched anything great lately.

Movies:
    Acts of Violence- Cast Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser caught my interest along with sounded like a good plot of taking down human traffickers. But damn did this movie suck ass. Script was awful as well as the casting of every single bad guy in the movie and all of the female roles. This movie could have been so, so, much better.

Police Academy- it was on last week and had to give it a watch. Still decent 80's stolagia Stupid comedy.

TV Shows:
    NOS4RATU- how ever the hell you spell it. Season 2 has been pretty lousy, the last two episdoes were flat garbage. My 11 year old called the last episode and who was going to die as soon as the episode started it was that bad. Losing interest with every episode and that sucks because first season was pretty decent.

Yellowstone season 3- its been decent, a bit slow but overall still a great show. Love the cast.
    The ALienist season 2- has been really good so far. Love the show and cast.

Shark Week is on so atleast there will be some good TV this week. Usually cannot go wrong even though most of the shows are repetitive and same crap.

Canceled streaming Service for DC Network. Once my son finished teen titans there was nothing of interest, Couldn't even get through Swamp Thing.
    Ordered HULU. So far loving HULU. Been re watching old episodes of The Shield and Xfiles. Have not watched any movies on there yet.

Found an interesting Pod Cast yesterday that I listened too while stuck at work.
    The Forgotten missing women of Juarez. Been very interesting.