Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What do you do for a living? Personal lifes outside of football

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    That last benefit is awesome if you're career military. They'll pay for you to take classes while you're serving too won't they?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    They have something called Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), which is $4500 annually you can use for classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Health care finance for me. Currently working in the pharmaceutical industry doing policy & research, but have also worked in the health insurance industry.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Native Annapolitan. Still live nearby.

Similar to what I do on this message board, I pontificate .... to various government and government contractor clients (i.e. I am a consultant). Part-time -- I am mostly retired. I do a good amount of travel: often tied Ravens road trips, or to New Orleans, where I have some business interests. When I worked for others, it was for NASA, DOE, and a govt contractor.
    Last edited by Mista T; 10-25-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Baltimorean, born and raised. English Degree from Washington College (Chestertown, MD). Formerly a Correctional Officer in the Baltimore region. Currently on Worker's Comp with a likely Medical Retirement in the near future. Live Downtown. Don't have a full grasp on what my next step will be. I'm not sure the State Troopers or Feds would touch me with my injuries. Also, all Law Enforcement may be off of the table as a condition of my Medical Retirement. I'll likely start back somewhere part-time to get back into the groove of things, while I figure this out.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Baltimorean, born and raised. English Degree from Washington College (Chestertown, MD). Formerly a Correctional Officer in the Baltimore region. Currently on Worker's Comp with a likely Medical Retirement in the near future. Live Downtown. Don't have a full grasp on what my next step will be. I'm not sure the State Troopers or Feds would touch me with my injuries. Also, all Law Enforcement may be off of the table as a condition of my Medical Retirement. I'll likely start back somewhere part-time to get back into the groove of things, while I figure this out.
    My father worked in a max security prison for years up in Bmore, hated it. I think you would have an extremely hard time with a medical retirement trying to get on anywhere, hope you can though.

Sidenote, I just had to deal with workmans comp stuff and it really screwed all my finances up, took forever for it to come through and put me behind on all my bills.

Bump this thread back up people

Baltimoron by birth. Live in wild wonderful Hazard County , Md now. 20+ yr career as a Union plumber/steamfitter/welder. Worked all over this great country and some abroad too. Master Plumber and HVAC. Economy decline forced me to seek other employ and now I’m a contractor for the DOD. Worked on some cool projects , did some disaster relief work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Baltimoron by birth. Live in wild wonderful Hazard County , Md now. 20+ yr career as a Union plumber/steamfitter/welder. Worked all over this great country and some abroad too. Master Plumber and HVAC. Economy decline forced me to seek other employ and now I’m a contractor for the DOD. Worked on some cool projects , did some disaster relief work.

Hazard County...is that a nickname for Howard?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Hazard County...is that a nickname for Howard?
    Harford. Just south of Cecil-Tucky.

Blog Entries

Harford. Just south of Cecil-Tucky.

Ahh, ok. My Uncle lives out in Parkton. They all went to Hereford High. That's a nice area of Maryland. Still rural, but close enough to the city. We've talked about buying out in Havre De Grace area before. I always liked that area of Maryland, but I like Fredneck also. However, it's even gotten pretty built up out here...we've been talking about moving further west in Maryland, lol. Out towards (or into) WV.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ahh, ok. My Uncle lives out in Parkton. They all went to Hereford High. That's a nice area of Maryland. Still rural, but close enough to the city. We've talked about buying out in Havre De Grace area before. I always liked that area of Maryland, but I like Fredneck also. However, it's even gotten pretty built up out here...we've been talking about moving further west in Maryland, lol. Out towards (or into) WV.
    Yes. We are a victim of Urban Sprawl too. Fredrick is really built up. I’ve worked around there lots of times. Ft Dietrich , Metamune and when it was there Solarex. Me and the wife are planning to move to Delaware as soon as this coming Summer. Getting too crowded here for me.

Blog Entries

Yes. We are a victim of Urban Sprawl too. Fredrick is really built up. I’ve worked around there lots of times. Ft Dietrich , Metamune and when it was there Solarex. Me and the wife are planning to move to Delaware as soon as this coming Summer. Getting too crowded here for me.

My wife works at MedImmune (formerly) - now owned by Astra Zenica.

Delaware? I dont quite get that one, but I'm sure it's a lot less expensive than MD is. I went to high school on the eastern shore and I just couldn't wait to get the eff away from there. lol.

Blog Entries

Born near Baltimore, but as you may have guessed, I live in Carroll County MD. Went to Milford Mill HS and Towson State College. Majored in Geography. Worked for the private sector for 3 years, then went to work for the Federal Government. Retired from DOD in 2011 and I love retirement. Put in the bare minimum of 30 years at age 55 and never looked back. No more getting up at 4:00 in the morning to beat the traffic to get to work. Interests: I love to fish, either in the Chesapeake Bay, Upper Potomac River, or Liberty Reservoir. I own a couple boats, and a kayak. I tend a large vegetable garden every summer. We usually go on one nice vacation each year. Recently got back from a 3 week trip to Australia/New Zealand, which was awesome. That was on my bucket list. We have been to or through all 50 states in the US at least once. I own a small condo in Ocean City in which I rent out and manage all the bookings. I enjoy an occasional bike ride but love driving my Polaris Slingshot around the area. I stay busy and retired life is great.

Note to the few of you who have boring Federal Government jobs. I had one of those also, but stuck it out. Many in my agency left, some even came back when they found out the pasture isn’t always greener. I was pretty much a peon there, never had the desire to “move up” the ladder cause I did not want to deal with any stress, I was not a good bull shitter and was never the sharpest tool in the shed. Job security was everything to me. I did my time, lived within my means, paid off all my bills and was able to retire as soon as I became eligible(having no kids helped). I am now living the good life. My suggestion is to try and hang in there, unless you are just too miserable to stick it out and/or are confident you will be happy and secure in another company. Don’t take your Federal Government health insurance for granted, it is one of your best benefits.

Laxdad24 – 2 years ago, I was seriously looking at property in Delaware also, mostly the Lewes/Milton area. I love the super low property taxes and no sales tax but so far have not been able to convince my wife to move out of the area we have lived in all of our lives. Maryland is one of the worst states to retire in.