Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mobile Quarterbacks

I'm gonna go ahead and just make a separate thread about it.

So, it is obvious that the mobile QB (not just a runner but also a passer) is the next generation evolution of the QB. The days of the pocket passer are slowly but surely diminishing and that is because they rely heavily on their offensive line to be successful, which is not always going to be.

Once that left tackle goes down, you're done! You need to improvise, buy time and move around.

A-Rod
    Russell Wilson
    Newton
    Watson
    Wentz
    Prescott
    Tyrod Taylor
    Alex Smith
    Mariota
    Trubisky
    Cousins
    Stafford
    Big Ben

We're seeing more and more of these types of QB's and its becoming more the standard because it is far more threatening to defenses.

Lets be clear, a mobile QB is not necessarily just one that runs for 15 yard gains and gets rushing touchdowns.. its guys that are capable of bouncing out of the pocket, maybe breaking a tackle, and giving guys time to get open.

Even with a bad line and crappy receivers.. a mobile QB can make a play happen because even the shittiest receiver will get open if given plenty of time.

Re: Mobile Quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and just make a separate thread about it.

So, it is obvious that the mobile QB (not just a runner but also a passer) is the next generation evolution of the QB. The days of the pocket passer are slowly but surely diminishing and that is because they rely heavily on their offensive line to be successful, which is not always going to be.

Once that left tackle goes down, you're done! You need to improvise, buy time and move around.

A-Rod
    Russell Wilson
    Newton
    Watson
    Wentz
    Prescott
    Tyrod Taylor
    Alex Smith
    Mariota
    Trubisky
    Cousins
    Stafford
    Big Ben

We're seeing more and more of these types of QB's and its becoming more the standard because it is far more threatening to defenses.

Lets be clear, a mobile QB is not necessarily just one that runs for 15 yard gains and gets rushing touchdowns.. its guys that are capable of bouncing out of the pocket, maybe breaking a tackle, and giving guys time to get open.

Even with a bad line and crappy receivers.. a mobile QB can make a play happen because even the shittiest receiver will get open if given plenty of time.
    Your post is comically bad. I was curious as to your definition of a mobile QB and this confirmed what I thought. You can't tell the difference between a mobile QB and an offense that moves a QB around. When Kubiak was here He used bootlegs and other things to move Joe around and Joe excelled. Joe can run when he needs to and is more athletic than he gets credit for. Our OCs with the exception of Kubiak have not run an offense that puts the QB in a lot of space.

Joe has better combine numbers when it comes to mobility than:
    Cousins
    Big Ben
    Stafford

His numbers are not all that far off from what Trubisky and Rodgers put up at the combine. As players are in the league longer they start running around less. See shoulder surgeries for Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck. Google articles about RGIII not wanting to run as much early in his career because he knew it would lead to a short career. I believe Kapernick also had shoulder injuries as well. Young QBs fresh into the league run around like they are invincible before they realize that is not too smart.

Big Ben is not mobile but rather damn hard to bring down and that has resulted in him taking a beating. His body is breaking down on him like a RBs body.

A lot of the ability to be mobile is based on the offense. Arod is in a spread offense where they are going to 4 and 5 wide. That opens up the field that enables a lot of space for him to work. The Ravens are the opposite. It is extremely crowded around the pocket.

It is comical you think a mobile QB can come in and make a crappy oline and receivers work. In that case the Ravens should just sign Johnny Manziel.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Your post is comically bad. I was curious as to your definition of a mobile QB and this confirmed what I thought. You can't tell the difference between a mobile QB and an offense that moves a QB around. When Kubiak was here He used bootlegs and other things to move Joe around and Joe excelled. Joe can run when he needs to and is more athletic than he gets credit for. Our OCs with the exception of Kubiak have not run an offense that puts the QB in a lot of space.

Joe has better combine numbers when it comes to mobility than:
    Cousins
    Big Ben
    Stafford

His numbers are not all that far off from what Trubisky and Rodgers put up at the combine. As players are in the league longer they start running around less. See shoulder surgeries for Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck. Google articles about RGIII not wanting to run as much early in his career because he knew it would lead to a short career. I believe Kapernick also had shoulder injuries as well. Young QBs fresh into the league run around like they are invincible before they realize that is not too smart.

Big Ben is not mobile but rather damn hard to bring down and that has resulted in him taking a beating. His body is breaking down on him like a RBs body.

A lot of the ability to be mobile is based on the offense. Arod is in a spread offense where they are going to 4 and 5 wide. That opens up the field that enables a lot of space for him to work. The Ravens are the opposite. It is extremely crowded around the pocket.

It is comical you think a mobile QB can come in and make a crappy oline and receivers work. In that case the Ravens should just sign Johnny Manziel.
    Combine numbers? Who cares? Unless its transferring over to the football field, its meaningless.

We have seen Joe run but he chooses to not play like a mobile QB. I don't know why you even threw Joe into the topic but since you want to speak of him we can. He doesn't play mobile. Hes not active in the pocket.. once in a blue moon he'll run for a first down but for the most part he stays in the pocket.

And lol @ Ben not mobile.. us as Raven fans know damn well of his mobility.. remember 08?

Combine numbers? Who cares? Unless its transferring over to the football field, its meaningless.

We have seen Joe run but he chooses to not play like a mobile QB. I don't know why you even threw Joe into the topic but since you want to speak of him we can. He doesn't play mobile. Hes not active in the pocket.. once in a blue moon he'll run for a first down but for the most part he stays in the pocket.

And lol @ Ben not mobile.. us as Raven fans know damn well of his mobility.. remember 08?
    It is OC and scheme. We would bring Lamar Jackson and use him the say way.

Blog Entries

You watched Pittsburgh play lately Ben doesn't really move your talking 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does this need its own thread? There's already a thread about this exact topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    You watched Pittsburgh play lately Ben doesn't really move your talking 10 years ago.

Well he is 35 now and plays with half a brain by December.

I don't really think much has changed. Players in general are more athletic every year.

Some of the players you listed I would consider pocket passers who are athletic enough to move around in the pocket. The traditional idea of a mobile qb is a.little different

Idk. I guess we're splitting hairs.

The biggest thing a qb needs to do is throw from the pocket... anything else is icing on the cake.

Players who rely on their legs too much typically only read half the field.

I think a Wentz is the ideal young qb... I don't consider him a mobile qb, but he's athletic enough to move if needed.

Pocket mobility and presence is key

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

It's the college systems. Almost all use the spread and zone/read now. No huddle, never under center, look at the sidelines, clap your hands and go

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's the college systems. Almost all use the spread and zone/read now. No huddle, never under center, look at the sidelines, clap your hands and go
    It's even high school now. I went to watch the local high school play(central Dauphin) the other day against another local high school (Susquehanna twnsp) I was amazed at Susquehannas offense 3wr 1 back shotgun no huddle just go offense. I was talking to a friend at work who refs he said they run that all the way down through pee wees now so the kids come up through and all have been running the same playbook. They are a smaller school playing all the big schools. They have no business competing with Te much larger schools but they do. They all know their system so well that by varsity it's really something to see. If they had better/bigger athletes I think they would challenge for states.

So, it is obvious that the mobile QB (not just a runner but also a passer) is the next generation evolution of the QB.
    Been obvious since 1981, or at least since 1987 (Randall Cunningham's first good season).

Drop back quarterbacks or pocket passers are the talk of the town. Period.
    (If you want to take off and run, then you'll get crucified like RG3. ...Ya won't last.)