Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Lavar Ball is about to ruin the NCAA and I love it!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    "That's about it"
    Well the 'that' at Duke is worth 66k per year including room and board. So it's nothing to sneeze at.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/colle...r-value-2016-3

The average college basketball player at Duke University would be worth $1.3 million per year if they were able to play in a free market system and receive compensation in a manner similar to that of the NBA. And yet, despite all their success, Duke does not have the most valuable players.

-----

Well hey at least they're getting 5% of what they're worth! Achoo!
    Its not whether you get knocked down; its whether you get up.
    Vince Lombardi

http://russellstreetreport.com/author/cole_jackson/

Twitter: @ColeJacksonRSR

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/colle...r-value-2016-3

The average college basketball player at Duke University would be worth $1.3 million per year if they were able to play in a free market system and receive compensation in a manner similar to that of the NBA. And yet, despite all their success, Duke does not have the most valuable players.

-----

Well hey at least they're getting 5% of what they're worth! Achoo!
    No, that would be what they would get if they split the revenue among the players like the NBA.
    As pointed out previously, money is coming in for the name Duke and not necessarily the players.

No, that would be what they would get if they split the revenue among the players like the NBA.
    As pointed out previously, money is coming in for the name Duke and not necessarily the players.
    Let's be real. People are big Duke fans because they're consistently good. The quality of players (and the reason Coach K makes 7M per year) is the reason the Duke name is what it is. They constantly graduate top NBA talent. As does Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc.

I'm not say the players should make 1.3M a year, but to say 5% of what they're actually worth is nothign to sneeze at is silly. It's really fucked up how much money they make off of those sports.

I have no idea how to properly compensate them, but the current system sucks IMO. Why not invest that money into students in general and lower tuition costs? Not capitalist enough I guess
    Vince Lombardi

Let's be real. People are big Duke fans because they're consistently good. The quality of players (and the reason Coach K makes 7M per year) is the reason the Duke name is what it is. They constantly graduate top NBA talent. As does Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, etc.

I'm not say the players should make 1.3M a year, but to say 5% of what they're actually worth is nothign to sneeze at is silly. It's really fucked up how much money they make off of those sports.

I have no idea how to properly compensate them, but the current system sucks IMO. Why not invest that money into students in general and lower tuition costs? Not capitalist enough I guess
    So you want to give money to the players, and then what happens to all the other college sports that don't earn money? Or other students that aren't paying the full rate? Upkeep of buildings? Attracting top rate researchers?

So you want to give money to the players, and then what happens to all the other college sports that don't earn money? Or other students that aren't paying the full rate? Upkeep of buildings? Attracting top rate researchers?
    Do you read what I type? This is like the third time we've had a discussion where you just put words in my mouth.

TO QUOTE MYSELF, "I'm not say the players should make 1.3M a year" (yes I meant to say "saying").

I'm admitting I dont know what the solution is, but there's definitely one that benefits the entire system and doesn't just make the rich, richer.
    Vince Lombardi

I'm really not entirely sure how it works with reinvesting the money. Do top execs in the universities make a fuck ton of money? Do there salaries rise with the rise of the value of the school?

The money they make should be reinvested into the school (Yes that can be through research, new facilities, etc.). My example was lowered tuition.

Maybe I'm out to lunch and this happens. I've been wrong many times before
    Vince Lombardi

Do you read what I type? This is like the third time we've had a discussion where you just put words in my mouth.

TO QUOTE MYSELF, "I'm not say the players should make 1.3M a year" (yes I meant to say "saying").

I'm admitting I dont know what the solution is, but there's definitely one that benefits the entire system and doesn't just make the rich, richer.
    Lighten up, I asked questions.

Here is an article that talks about what is spent at Duke. It is focused on tuition, but I'm sure you can plug in money made by the BBall program as income to Duke.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...lly-a-discount

So there is a lot of benefit to the entire system.

It's invested in the other sports they need to stay div 1

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm really not entirely sure how it works with reinvesting the money. Do top execs in the universities make a fuck ton of money? Do there salaries rise with the rise of the value of the school?

The money they make should be reinvested into the school (Yes that can be through research, new facilities, etc.). My example was lowered tuition.

Maybe I'm out to lunch and this happens. I've been wrong many times before
    My personal opinion is parents get raped spending 40K per year on up to send kids with minds full of mush to become mostly liberal zombies. Professors are overpaid and the Universities are the corporate welfare that they claim to despise. Does anyone's life really change over the score of a game?

So much for becoming Fireman, Policeman or Doctors anymore. Kids just strive for fame and money (without talent or hard work). See:Rap
    Last edited by CincyCat; 11-14-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5

As far as Lavar Ball, his kid got to go to China and he shoplifted sunglasses? WTF? Father of the Year candidate?
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    As far as Lavar Ball, his kid got to go to China and he shoplifted sunglasses? WTF? Father of the Year candidate?
    I don't think you want to play that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    My personal opinion is parents get raped spending 40K per year on up to send kids with minds full of mush to become mostly liberal zombies. Professors are overpaid and the Universities are the corporate welfare that they claim to despise. Does anyone's life really change over the score of a game?

So much for becoming Fireman, Policeman or Doctors anymore. Kids just strive for fame and money (without talent or hard work). See:Rap
    Ok? Your stance just illustrated why kids need to be paid.

Law Firm of McCauley, Dickey and McMillan.

I mean it wouldn't hurt for Lavar Ball to show some appreciation to the Trump administration for rescuing his knucklehead son.

Sigh, not that I was expecting much but not so much as statement.